Next-gen DS in the works

General Spoon

That's the other big problem of today's games; too much focus on gameplay. Content is what makes the game, not the gameplay. Why else are Super Mario, Contra, Mega Man, Metroid, Kirby and Castlevania loved equally as much despite them all being the same action-sidescroller with a slightly different gimmick in each game? Why else are MMORPGs so popular despite the gameplay basically just being level grinding? If Tetris is pure gameplay then how come everyone can relate the Gameboy themes to it?
One can never focus too much on gameplay. The games you mentioned are all equally fun is because they are unique to their own world. You can't stick Metroid in the Mushroom Kingdom and expect the game to "work," can you? Furthermore, the gameplay is unique to each of the games you named. Yeah, classic side-scroller action, I know, but the gameplay isn't exactly the same for any of these games.

Then we get into content. A good game can't become a great game without content. The gimmicks are important to those classics. If Mario wasn't some Italian plumber, I don't know what I'd do (joking, but honest in a way).

Gameplay and content obviously go hand in hand, but I'd say I would still have fun if a game had good gameplay and crappy content, rather than the other way around. Oh, and Shadow Dragon proves my point here.

Edited by Ben Stein

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the big reason PC gaming is in decline now is simply economics. PC gaming is the most expensive type of gaming: to play a PC game, it's generally assumed that you need an expensive, high-end rig to get the best quality. An average computer is about 1000 dollars. A high end computer, to get the best quality from graphics-intensive shooters popular in PC gaming, is more like 1500 dollars. On the other hand, you can get a console and get games that look almost as good for 200 to 300 dollars. I would bet that the average person won't even notice the difference, actually. The US economy is in a major recession, your funds are on a shoestring budget, and you want to play some games. Do you shell out for the PC or the console? HMMM.

It also hurts the PC gaming industry that they aren't doing as much as they could to attract new customer base. They continue to release dark, gritty, modern PC shooters, appealing to the same small, hardcore fanbase of teenage to 20-something men, while the Wii runs away with the market for older gamers, female gamers, and children. It's practically an event when a RPG comes out for the PC anymore; Bioware and Bethesda are the only companies I can think of, off the top of my head, that bother with them anymore. I think there is a sort of pressure to try to emphasize the PC's (narrow) graphical lead by always trying to put out games that have cutting edge graphics. However, this forces PC gamers to go with the most expensive PC models. On the other hand, genres that were historically popular on the PC, like the RPG, the strategy title, and the action-adventure game, have migrated to the console because they simply don't need an expensive platform in order to look "good enough". They'd rather sell more copies on console. What the PC market needs the most is to concentrate on making a wide variety of games that appeal to different customer demgraphics and can run on almost anything. Wait, that sounds sort of like the Flash Games market, which is doing really well right now!

I think the big reason PC gaming is in decline now is simply economics. PC gaming is the most expensive type of gaming: to play a PC game, it's generally assumed that you need an expensive, high-end rig to get the best quality. An average computer is about 1000 dollars. A high end computer, to get the best quality from graphics-intensive shooters popular in PC gaming, is more like 1500 dollars. On the other hand, you can get a console and get games that look almost as good for 200 to 300 dollars. I would bet that the average person won't even notice the difference, actually. The US economy is in a major recession, your funds are on a shoestring budget, and you want to play some games. Do you shell out for the PC or the console? HMMM.

It also hurts the PC gaming industry that they aren't doing as much as they could to attract new customer base. They continue to release dark, gritty, modern PC shooters, appealing to the same small, hardcore fanbase of teenage to 20-something men, while the Wii runs away with the market for older gamers, female gamers, and children. It's practically an event when a RPG comes out for the PC anymore; Bioware and Bethesda are the only companies I can think of, off the top of my head, that bother with them anymore. I think there is a sort of pressure to try to emphasize the PC's (narrow) graphical lead by always trying to put out games that have cutting edge graphics. However, this forces PC gamers to go with the most expensive PC models. On the other hand, genres that were historically popular on the PC, like the RPG, the strategy title, and the action-adventure game, have migrated to the console because they simply don't need an expensive platform in order to look "good enough". They'd rather sell more copies on console. What the PC market needs the most is to concentrate on making a wide variety of games that appeal to different customer demgraphics and can run on almost anything. Wait, that sounds sort of like the Flash Games market, which is doing really well right now!

I disagree. I have a piece of shit computer that's like 5 years old (well, parts of it), and I can still run most games. Poorly maybe, but I can run them. Also, a cunning person can easily buy a very good computer that can run all the new games for less than $1500.

I do see what you're saying though. I think it something to do with the fact that for most "gamers" consoles are just easier though.

Also, I don't actually like PC for the graphical edge. :)