need a Tool for hacking fe4/fe5 menu font

Tetragrammaton

If you want to hack the font graphics, a tile editing program should work.

Just beware that in both games, each tile actually contains two characters (you can swap between the two sets by choosing the right palettes).

Unfortunately I'm not sure that the FE4 suite is going to be much help. It does have the capability to compress down a new menu font and put it in a patch, but I don't remember it being especially usable in a standalone sense (and I don't even remember offhand which programs within the suite are the ones needed).

I'm sure I was able to change the menu font in FE5. I think I even copied over the FE4 menu font.

I was able to translate menu commands, character, weapon, skill, terrain names and a whole bunch of other stuff. Of course, I couldn't change the status screen text, but I could change the graphics for them.

Am I missing something here? o__o

I'm sure I was able to change the menu font in FE5. I think I even copied over the FE4 menu font.

I was able to translate menu commands, character, weapon, skill, terrain names and a whole bunch of other stuff. Of course, I couldn't change the status screen text, but I could change the graphics for them.

Am I missing something here? o__o

I believe the question is of the text seen during menus and the like. Weapon names, class names.

Fire_Emblem_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J_000.png

I think. I haven't done anything in months.

Here's what I did for the old FESSer Project:

fess5.PNG

As you can see, I was able to change the weapon and class names.

FE5's menu font graphics start around 39C200. They're just below the standing map sprites.

so how can i change it ?

ie adding new letter like é ù

The game uses Shift-JIS codes for menu text so therefore all you'd have to do is simply edit one that you need then use the one you replaced in the menu area. This is also how one makes menu text fit like this:

FE5AidynProject_00002.gif

The game uses Shift-JIS codes for menu text so therefore all you'd have to do is simply edit one that you need then use the one you replaced in the menu area. This is also how one makes menu text fit like this:
it only uses Shift JIS for Katakana/Hiragana and English, no other language's avaiable

You can change the font graphics using a tile editing program. You can replace, for example, a random Katakana character with the accented characters. Then just make a note of which code calls the Katakana character that you replaced, eg. 8340 is A in Katakana.

Edited by VincentASM

8341 is A in Katakana.

fixed ;x

This is the place you need to go, Tile Layer Pro is what I use.

fe5eshiftjis.gif

In order for the graphics to show up properly in this instance, setting TLP's View->Format to Game Boy displays it this way. This can also be applied to dialogue text.

Edited by Pukachi

With regards to the menu font in FE4, I've checked over things and the menu font there is definitely compressed; for reference, it starts at 0x000C2B in a headered ROM. Sorry I can't really be of more help.

You would need to use a similar method as you can for FE5, except you would have the menu font in its own file, which you would have to compress after editing and then either copy into the correct location in FE4 by hand in a hex editor or create a patch out of it and permapatch it over the top. You also would need to ensure that the compressed file wasn't larger than the menu font was originally.

With regards to the menu font in FE4, I've checked over things and the menu font there is definitely compressed; for reference, it starts at 0x000C2B in a headered ROM. Sorry I can't really be of more help.

You would need to use a similar method as you can for FE5, except you would have the menu font in its own file, which you would have to compress after editing and then either copy into the correct location in FE4 by hand in a hex editor or create a patch out of it and permapatch it over the top. You also would need to ensure that the compressed file wasn't larger than the menu font was originally.

thanks

i know i ask too much but do you know how the font system work ?

i mean how can i convert compress/decompress font ?

If you get the FE4 translation suite, in the fe4enc directory there is a file newfont.bin which is the uncompressed new menu font for the FE4 patch. It's not strictly the uncompressed original menu font, but ideally it could suit your purposes the same.

To compress it you need to run "fe4enc newfont.bin compressednewfont.bin" on a command line. However you need to compile the fe4enc program first, which may make things tricky as you generally require a UNIX-like environment to do this for the suite in general; it should be possible to do under a regular Windows command prompt, but I'm not sure offhand how annoying that would be to go about doing.

[EDIT]I just tested throwing fe4enc into Visual C++ and it compiles with no errors (three warnings, but all three of them were minor). I've thrown the compiled version up at

http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/fe4enc.exe

so you can try just using that one without going to the effort of getting it set up yourself. It appears to work, but I haven't tried using the output in a patch so I can't say anything for sure. And things that I have compiled have been known to fail on other computers before ._.

Edited by T.W.I.L.K.I.T.R.I.

If you get the FE4 translation suite, in the fe4enc directory there is a file newfont.bin which is the uncompressed new menu font for the FE4 patch. It's not strictly the uncompressed original menu font, but ideally it could suit your purposes the same.

To compress it you need to run "fe4enc newfont.bin compressednewfont.bin" on a command line. However you need to compile the fe4enc program first, which may make things tricky as you generally require a UNIX-like environment to do this for the suite in general; it should be possible to do under a regular Windows command prompt, but I'm not sure offhand how annoying that would be to go about doing.

[EDIT]I just tested throwing fe4enc into Visual C++ and it compiles with no errors (three warnings, but all three of them were minor). I've thrown the compiled version up at

http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/fe4enc.exe

so you can try just using that one without going to the effort of getting it set up yourself. It appears to work, but I haven't tried using the output in a patch so I can't say anything for sure. And things that I have compiled have been known to fail on other computers before ._.

it works perfectly, thanks.