FE5 hacking issue

Ryan7556

I've been editing FE5 with nightmare and something strange happens if I edit any setting of an item(weapon), for example if I even slightly increase/decrease the uses or power of a short lance, anyone using it seems to get ridiculous stat bonuses. I don't know why this is happening, is the item editor just broken or am I doing something wrong?(This problem is happening with every weapon/item)

Edited by BigBoss7556

Are the unchanged weapon stats realistic to begin with? For instance, does the Short Lance in the editor have the correct Might value?

I tried changing an Iron Sword (upping its Might to 35 and Critical to 10) using the modules I have and didn't run into any problems.

The stats did seem right from the rom I was using. Here's a picture to demonstrate what is wrong, in this situation I just increased the power and critical of the short lance.

http://img97.imageshack.us/i/statserror.jpg/

Vincent, which rom were you using for FE5 hacking? When looking through a new extracted rom, the values seem to look incorrect.

Edited by BigBoss7556

Continued from PMs

In that thread you read, the picture of my problem should be showing up correctly. Unless you already saw it.

I have a question actually, in nightmare do you save the edits as a file or over a rom? I'm asking this because I save the edits just as a file and then convert to ips using lunar ips.

I save the edits to a ROM. I usually just keep a spare, clean ROM for other purposes.
Well there's a serious problem. Whenever I save to a rom, it doesn't start up.
That sounds really odd.

Can you send me a print screen of your ROM file being selected in its folder? Like this:

fe5rom.PNG

fe5hack.jpg
Hmm, that setup looks fine from first glances.

Have you tried applying the English translation patch to a separate FE5 ROM and did it work?

I'm asking because I noticed your system has your ROM's status set as compressed and I'm wondering if the ROM is actually in a compressed file. However the filesize matches with an uncompressed file.

It does work when I apply the correct translation patch. When I save over the rom with nightmare edits then it doesn't start up in SNES9x(with or without translation applied). However, if I hardpatch the rom with the english translation, then softpatch the rom with nightmare edits in ips form, it works.

EDIT: Ok I figured it out. It can work in SNES9x if I force header, after saving nightmare changes to it.

Look at the screenshot i posted in the thread, that problem still happens no matter what. Also, make sure you edit items like short lance and short bow. Try the first mission out and see if it's fine.

I edited the Short Lance and Short Bow and they worked fine.
Also, I downloaded your item editors, I had ones already of course. But the problem is still the same, I just changed the range of the short bow and such problem still happens. I'm using the VROM with a header attached, this problem also happened on other roms. What FE5 rom are you using?
I'm not sure, but its headered.

Anyway, I just missed something really obvious.

Try using the original Nightmare instead of Nightmare 2. I tried Nightmare 2 and couldn't figure out how to load my edited ROM either o__o