Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Altera the Hun

From TV Tropes:

The year: 1983. When Maebara Keiichi and his family move to the sleepy little rural village of Hinamizawa, everything seems peaceful and rustic at first. But Keiichi quickly learns that there is more to the four girls of the school's game club than meets the eye... and more to the town as well. Revelation follows revelation, and brutal murder follows brutal murder in this enigmatic tale told from a variety of viewpoints and scenarios. Just what links the scenarios together?

The first season focuses on the cycles of paranoia and death that plague the main characters. The second season, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai, delves deeper into the causes of the repeating scenarios and their inevitable conclusions and the struggle to defy fate. The third installment, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei, is a series of OVAs and, rather than a true third season, is simply a collection of side stories.

Higurashi consists of several different story arcs with most arcs beginning similarly but ending differently. If watched or read out of order, it can raise many questions about what is going on. See The Other Wiki's entry for Higurashi get the order the manga are supposed to be read in. The anime can be watched in order (episode one first), with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai being season two.

It's a pretty interesting series, if a little freaky at times (The Manga makes Paranormal Activity look like a friggin' Sugar Bowl). Anyone else here watch it?

Indeed, I've seen all three series (the first, Kai and Rei). I was overall impressed with it.

Series two was the highlight of it all though. Just when you thought all was well at the end of series 1, the beginning of the second series just destroys any hope of a happy ending. That was bloody good stuff, I would watch it again if I wasn't already watching so many other animes.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is another anime I'm keeping track of as it's currently airing. It's no continuation of Higurashi, or indeed not as quite as good as it, but it's still worth a watch.

Indeed, I've seen all three series (the first, Kai and Rei). I was overall impressed with it.

Series two was the highlight of it all though. Just when you thought all was well at the end of series 1, the beginning of the second series just destroys any hope of a happy ending. That was bloody good stuff, I would watch it again if I wasn't already watching so many other animes.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is another anime I'm keeping track of as it's currently airing. It's no continuation of Higurashi, or indeed not as quite as good as it, but it's still worth a watch.

And most of the fans apparently believe that the anime version of Umineko no Naku Koro ni is so bad compared to the visual novel that they refuse to watch it. But most anime adaptations of visual novels are inferior so I don't know why they get so worked up about it. I personally have no opinion though, as I haven't watched higurashi nor umineko. They both just look a little too freaky for me, but then again, I did end up watching elfen lied. :/

Not exactly. The first and last episode of S3 are practically filler (though Hanyuu is in the last, don't remember if she's in the first, so you can still guess the timeframe), but the middle 3 are kind of an extra story that takes place after Kai. It's a continuation, but it doesn't really add much.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think Umineko is better than Higurashi, but that's just me. Both are good, to be sure, but something about Umineko just pulls me in moreso than Higurashi. I've never really played the VNs, so I don't really know if they're better or worse than the anime versions. I think I'll just stay ignorant.

I've started watching Umineko recently, and I must say, I did find it much more intriguing than Higurashi. However, from what I've heard, the Umineko anime is much more diluted than the Higurashi one (Ironicly, Higurashi on average took up less chapters per arc. But Higurashi also cut the TIPS scenes, whereas it seems that the Umineko anime actually added its own scenes in while cutting others). That may actually be a bit beneficial to the series in general though, as it got me to actually go out and get the Umineko VN and translations. Which I still need to actually play.

The art style shift between Higurashi's VNs and Umineko's is extremely welcome though. Dough hands bug me to no end.