That One Thread

Florete

None of them are in the Standard Tier (which is the normal tier with only the overpowered and centralizing Pokemon banned) so yeah, you're right about that to some extent. Some are still VIABLE, like Drapion, but there are usually better options. I would say Kabutops is viable as well, but only if he has Swift Swim instead of Battle Armor, which nullifies the whole logic.

YES!!! Especially after PoR where it takes ages for someone's rank to reach S. My 20/20 Astrid never even reached B, let alone A or S. And my Ilyana, who does NOT have Paragon (which is the main reason why I benched Astrid so much), only managed a B at Lv 20/20.

FE4 and FE2 don't even have weapon ranks at all though. And in FE3, weapon rank was a stat so it varies from character to character (Kashim is the only one I saw who has problems though). And I think in GBA it depends on the weapon being used, so you can bring your rank up if you really want to.

Which is what I figured.

Yeah. And it doesn't help that you didn't even get to see how close you were to the next weapon rank in PoR. And when you say Ilyana only managed a B rank, are you referring to thunder magic?

Hmm... in FE5, you were stuck at 1 WEXP per attack and 50 WEXP to get to the next level. Ditto FE6, but that one had a fatal hit bonus. FE7 and FE8, it did depend on what you used, but other than Shine and Short Bows, most weapons that were good for WEXP were heavy. Also, laguz got the short stick with regard to weapon rank.

• Replies 84.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AstraLunaSol

• Amelia

• Junkhead

• Thor Odinson

Which is what I figured.

Yup. Obviously, it's not the Ability itself that prevents them from rising high (there are some high-tiered Pokemons with really lame abilities) but yeah, if you're playing in the Standard Tier, you have to be ready for critical hits.

Yeah. And it doesn't help that you didn't even get to see how close you were to the next weapon rank in PoR. And when you say Ilyana only managed a B rank, are you referring to thunder magic?

Yeah, Thunder Magic. The others were stuck at D. I even made her keep using thunder magic even after she hit 20/20 when others didn't, just so that I can Arms Scroll her to use Rexbolt. Same with Astrid, who had two Arms Scroll for Double Bow (I thought she could use if she had an S rank). Both of them have disappointed me. Astrid didn't even get to use Longbows.

Hmm... in FE5, you were stuck at 1 WEXP per attack and 50 WEXP to get to the next level. Ditto FE6, but that one had a fatal hit bonus. FE7 and FE8, it did depend on what you used, but other than Shine and Short Bows, most weapons that were good for WEXP were heavy. Also, laguz got the short stick with regard to weapon rank.

I had no trouble reaching S rank in GBA with Iron stuff. In fact, the problems that I faced with weapon rank involved preventing something from reaching S so that something else gets it (Lyn with bows, Hector with swords, etc). And iirc some of the FE5 characters started with a bonus at the start. And the cap was A over there, while some A rank tomes never made it to the final product (Volcanon, Aura, etc). And the A rank bow, Master Bow, was inferior to the Brave Bow in every way, despite Brave Bow being B rank.

Yup. Obviously, it's not the Ability itself that prevents them from rising high (there are some high-tiered Pokemons with really lame abilities) but yeah, if you're playing in the Standard Tier, you have to be ready for critical hits.

Yeah, Thunder Magic. The others were stuck at D. I even made her keep using thunder magic even after she hit 20/20 when others didn't, just so that I can Arms Scroll her to use Rexbolt. Same with Astrid, who had two Arms Scroll for Double Bow (I thought she could use if she had an S rank). Both of them have disappointed me. Astrid didn't even get to use Longbows.

I had no trouble reaching S rank in GBA with Iron stuff. In fact, the problems that I faced with weapon rank involved preventing something from reaching S so that something else gets it (Lyn with bows, Hector with swords, etc). And iirc some of the FE5 characters started with a bonus at the start. And the cap was A over there, while some A rank tomes never made it to the final product (Volcanon, Aura, etc). And the A rank bow, Master Bow, was inferior to the Brave Bow in every way, despite Brave Bow being B rank.

Hmm...

Figured. But as far as Longbows and the Double Bow are concerned, they sucked in Path of Radiance anyhow. (What the fuck? An S rank weapon that's all of one point stronger than a Steel Bow??? Not to mention the fact that only Archers and Snipers could use them, and the fact that Rolf and Shinon are among the worst characters in Path of Radiance...) Hell, I'd say that Longbows weren't good until Shadow Dragon came along. As far as Radiant Dawn is concerned, attacking from 3 range meant getting a hit penalty, which made longbows pretty much useless in that game (having an already low chance to hit take a nosedive? I'd rather take my chances with normal bows.)

The only real problems I often ran into with weapon rank in the GBA games are with regard to Staff Chicks and not making them S rank staves, for the most part (Priscilla especially, since she starts at E rank).

Edited by Malik Maxwell

Hmm...

Obviously, there ARE some skills that push Pokemons down to the lower tiers. Slow Start and Truant are the perfect examples.

Figured. But as far as Longbows and the Double Bow are concerned, they sucked in Path of Radiance anyhow. (What the fuck? An S rank weapon that's all of one point stronger than a Steel Bow???) Hell, I'd say that Longbows weren't good until Shadow Dragon came along. As far as Radiant Dawn is concerned, attacking from 3 range meant getting a hit penalty, which made longbows pretty much useless in that game (having an already low chance to hit take a nosedive? I'd rather take my chances with normal bows.)

Wait, Double Bow is THAT weak? btw I heard that Marksmen don't get the Accuracy penalty when using Longbows and in RD they had silver ones. No, I never used them either because I'm a super conservative freak and Shinon promoted before I used any of them.

The only real problems I often ran into with weapon rank in the GBA games are with regard to Staff Chicks and not making them S rank staves, for the most part (Priscilla especially, since she starts at E rank).

I staff abuse a lot so I guess I wouldn't know.

Obviously, there ARE some skills that push Pokemons down to the lower tiers. Slow Start and Truant are the perfect examples.

Wait, Double Bow is THAT weak? btw I heard that Marksmen don't get the Accuracy penalty when using Longbows and in RD they had silver ones. No, I never used them either because I'm a super conservative freak and Shinon promoted before I used any of them.

I staff abuse a lot so I guess I wouldn't know.

So true.

In Path of Radiance, it is. As to the stuff about Marksmen not getting an accuracy penalty when using longbows, I personally don't buy it. And the Silver Longbow in RD? Can you say "rip-off"? Because to be blunt, that's what it is. Then again, I think Longbows in RD are rip-offs anyhow.

Hmm...

So true.

Funny how a Pokemon with 680 Base Stat Total ended up in the lowest of the lowest tier.

In Path of Radiance, it is. As to the stuff about Marksmen not getting an accuracy penalty when using longbows, I personally don't buy it. And the Silver Longbow in RD? Can you say "rip-off"? Because to be blunt, that's what it is. Then again, I think Longbows in RD are rip-offs anyhow.

Then I'm glad I never bought them. And I don't feel so bad about not letting Astrid reach S rank either.

Funny how a Pokemon with 680 Base Stat Total ended up in the lowest of the lowest tier.

Then I'm glad I never bought them. And I don't feel so bad about not letting Astrid reach S rank either.

Indeed.

And like I said, in PoR, only Rolf and Shinon could use them, and they're among the worst characters in the game.

Indeed.

And on the other side, you have Pokemon like Wynaut who became classified as Uber almost solely because of the ability.

And like I said, in PoR, only Rolf and Shinon could use them, and they're among the worst characters in the game.

Wait, Shinon is bad?

And on the other side, you have Pokemon like Wynaut who became classified as Uber almost solely because of the ability.

Wait, Shinon is bad?

Yeah. It's kinda hilarious, really.

In PoR, he is.