Sting (The Japanese Game Developer, not the Musician)

Blackbird

We all like turn-based strategy here, right ;)?

I feel like Sting's big flaw is simply that they are overambitious; they try to innovate or introduce new game mechanics in every area of the game, regardless if it actually needs additional mechanics. Their games can feel a bit "cluttered" as a result. This is especially true of Knights in the Nightmare. Still, I think when they consolidate their ideas a bit, they are going to make a game that is astoundingly good.

In the meantime, we've got Yggdra Union. Sometimes, I feel like I am the only fan of this game. It's not perfect by any means, but despite it's flaws, it manages to be a really entertaining, endearing, and unique turn-based strategy game.

It's got freaking awesome music (keep in mind, this is a GBA game):

Why is there a slap bass solo coming out of my DS!? So cool. This is one of the few GBA titles that I can actually say I wanted to rock out to.

It's also got really cute character designs. I know all you Higurashi mofos love it when lolis battle.

I suppose I'll try this game when I get the chance...Off topic: Did anyone played Ogre Battle before? I read it got good reviews

i played the GBA one it was like FF tactics if you've played that but a bit more compex.

I played Riviera and liked it due to its simplicity and, I suppose, cuteness. I found Yggdra Union a bit overcomplicated for my tastes, although it could be because I first played it in Japanese (I did the same with FE). Now their games seem to be getting more and more complicated (mostly referring to Knights in the Nightmare and not Hexyz Force) o__o

I suppose I'll try this game when I get the chance...Off topic: Did anyone played Ogre Battle before? I read it got good reviews

Have you played any of the Final Fantasy Tactics games? Ogre battle is a lot like that. Personally, I find Tactics Ogre a bit static, as the exp mechanic of the game prevents you from ever gaining a significant level lead over the enemy. You're always the same, relative power-wise, to the enemy, so I feel like I'm not making much progress. Tactics Ogre had wonderful music, though. Unfortunately, this game was not localized to the US. You can pick up Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodiss on GBA and get 90% of the authentic experience, though.

The original Ogre Battle, on the other hand, was really interesting. It was a sort of combination RTS/something else.

Back on topic: I didn't find Yggdra Union to be any more complicated than the metagame of the average FE game. Particularly if you include more complicated ones like Radiant Dawn or FE4, where you have to worry about inheritance and skills. (Not defending Knights in the Nightmare though, lol.) I haven't gotten a chance to play Riviera yet, but a lot of people seem to have a really positive opinion about it. Does it have what I'll call the "Sting touch?" I wonder if it's hard to find.

Some faggot (who I'm fwendz with I think) who was banned over like a year ago is obsessed with it and got me into Riviera before he was banned.

Anyways, I'd say that I prefer Riviera to Yggdra Union, but that's because I'm terrible at strategy games in general and FE is just extremely easy for the most part.

Kitten is also really goddamn hard, I technically still haven't beaten it on easy mode.

Also is it just me or does this seem like more of a Dept. of Heaven series thread instead of a Sting thread?

I remember seeing some references to Riviera at FESS a few years ago and downloaded it, but never played more than half an hour. It's like a good, well-put together game from what I saw and what I've heard. Not revolutionary, but it fills a niche well.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed Riviera a lot. Played through it four times iirc. Unlocked all the CGs and stuff.

As for Yggdra Union, I liked it even better than Riviera. In fact, it's one of my favorite GBA games.

I played both those games on the GBA only. Heard of Knights but never played it.