i do maps ლ(`◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

Krad

Couldn't you just import FE6's tileset and use that to make a more diverse, outside map? (Seeing as I assume this map is for FE: Forever, given what it's an update of.)

Edited by Lord Glenn

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an idea I got after playing FE5 again.

nx116o.png

[spoiler=Tilechanges]23lb5ua.png

As a concept, it is played by an army split in three parts. In the middle section of the map, you have the captain of the army plus some NPCs, while in the other two corridors you have groups of about 4 or 5 units each, with no interaction with eachother until near the end of the map. As for the objective, the NPC army moves towards the center, unitl they reach the two doors, each guarded by a boss. Killing both of them results in the walls next to the throne coming down, allowing an attack on the real boss. Meanwhile, the other two teams try to get to the top while being chased by reinforcements, more if they start opening doors.

Where have you beeennnnn. Nice map though the two gates south of the throne look odd underneath the walls.

I know what you're trying to do but, since those doors stick out past the wall it looks funny.

It might looks better if you:

a) Do what you did here: dd7a137d9e8179dbc3e541ddde173578.png

The roof tiles were kinda designed to make doors beneath them not look out of place

b) Change that part of the wall into a long staircase (kind of a weak option imo but meh).

Other than that, your map looks nice and polished.

Yeah, I'm not very happy with those doors either. While the roof option doesn't look good, I tried using the stairs while also trying changing them to small doors. Which one of these looks the best?

imv7za.png2yn2qvb.png

The one on the right looks pretty good. The arched tiles work better on the ground so when something that isn't a ground tile is beneath them it looks funny. The door in the right one nestles in pretty well using the other tiles.

Also, you might try changing the middle column to a pillar maybe to help bring it out and show it's farther out than the rest of the wall. It kinda just blends in right now and the effect is lost.

• 1 month later...

2u7223t.png

For the map competition.

And this is just another thing that came to my head after finishing this map, spoilered for size.

[spoiler=HUEG MAPZ]2ngz9lz.png

41 x 60

Just a bigger version of the old map, this time showcasing the almost full size of the temple. It is supposed to be in a very high place (as to explain the background), and the top part is supposed to be a sort of secret realm.

Edited by Krad

Big map is big, haha. Not only is the temple really well done, but you've got a killer background to top it all off. Very nicely done, Krad. Did you take your FE: Forever map and reduce the image size to make that background?

Stuff in the sky is cool, but with the big map, it feels like the far right and left lanes are a height inconsistent with the rest of the map. They're below the lowest point at the bottom of the map, and above the highest point at the part just below the house thing without going through any visible elevation changes.

It's not really going down, at the bottom of the map it's still supposed to be (much) higher than the ground level. Basically, it's supposed to look like this:

qqqz2f.png

(less than a minute in mspaint)

It's just the way the tilesets work and the very small ammount of shading that can be used that give the impression that it is below the ground level. I tried to show that it wasn't like this with the outer walls showing in both the bottom left and right corners, but I guess it didn't work as well as I thought.

Edited by Krad

The walls of the tile set give the opposite effect to me. Tiles higher up (lesser y coordinate using the top left corner as the origin) always look like they have a greater elevation when separated by this tileset's walls.

I see what Krad intended, but perhaps removing the corner shading from

aG07.png

there would make it more obvious.

Ok, updated with what was suggested, and also my idea of removing the whole "walls don't look high enough".

[spoiler=Even bigger than before]akvdxx.png

Enjoy this 41 x 74 behemoth.

Edited by Krad

I get it now. I just didn't have a reason to believe the sides were higher from the beginning. Are there no shaded tile you can put on the inside of the \ and / walls that separate the side from the middle? That would give even more of an impression that the side paths are are above the middle part in the lower part of the map.Either way that fixed it. Or at least made it so goddam high that noone will notice if its off. It's just that shading thing to show a huge drop after the \ / walls.

This time I have two things.

First one is the last update to the hugeass map that I've been working on. I addedd an extra part to the top, added some map changes, and fixed a small height error that was there. Also, this time it is completely insertable in a game, with no custom tiles or anything like that.

[spoiler=Map]At the beginning of the map:

2cneafd.png

After the first 3 doors are opened:

1z5hh21.png

After the last door is opened:

2mrvfo0.png

(didn't really bother to add the background again)

The map is 41 x 80 tiles, which is still in the map limits for FE6. And yes, I'm planning to insert it and use it for a specific one-chapter hack.

And the second one is something for my hack, a map sprite for the Axe Knight class.

[spoiler=Map Sprite]35kpic2.png

Edited from the cavalier sprite, took about an hour split between three days. I was originally just going to use the GK axe, but it was at a different angle, so I had to make my own.

Regarding this, I'd like to ask if someone can help me with the formatting and palette for insertion. I've tried to do it for two days, yet I can't seem to get it without the palette screwing up upon insertion.

I can do the insertion bit if you want XP For a minute I thought it was the GK axe, I like it :D

Edit: Ahhhhhh, here we go.... I'm gonna attach them cause Idk what Photobucket does to indexed PNGs. If you just save these and then insert them wherever WITHOUT opening them in Paint or anything, it should work fine xD

post-3733-005234100 1324529225_thumb.png

post-3733-031103800 1324529237_thumb.png

Edited by Jubby

It seems to work if you format it all, then save an existing graphic from FE with the palette you wanna use. Then you just copy paste your formatted sprites to the graphic you saved, save that (In Usenti as an 8 bit png) and insert it. Since the graphic you took from FE has the indexed palette your palettes should line up perfectly.

^Smart man

I'm really digging the maps. They're awesome. I don't have any requests right now or anything but I was just wondering in general if you take requests once in a while, assuming the map has a somewhat interesting idea to it? If you never take requests that's cool just curious :P

I haven't really taken any map requests before, but I guess I could give it a try if you want a certain map. About how long it takes, I can't really be specific, but indoor maps tend to be quite quick to make, while outdoor maps usually take me much longer to finish.

Edited by Krad

• 4 weeks later...

Bunch o' maps.

[spoiler=Map competition]2zoafbr.png

Room where you fight an important boss for the map competition. The concept is a very old water temple, where time has taken its toll on it.

This is what the map looked like a long time ago (I made this one first, then "destroyed it" for the competition entry.

2ccqreh.png

[spoiler=Other maps]b66ejk.png

Cave that is used in FEF. Don't want to spoil any details about it, but you get something important in it.

23h4rxl.png

Castle also used in FEF. This one is supposed to be my take on the Conote castle, where you face Blume. Since there's no information about how this place looked like at all, I let my imagination go wild here.

Yeah. Any errors or things that look weird, feel free to point them out.