Staff users...

Nephinel

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for them to be able to do so? Wouldn't they benefit the most from it, since their injuries would be far more serious than others?

Just something I was thinking about recently. :/

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for them to be able to do so? Wouldn't they benefit the most from it, since their injuries would be far more serious than others?

My guess is that it would make them broken.

My guess is that it would make them broken.

What's going to be made broken? The staffs or the healers?

Both.

It makes sense that staff users can't heal themselves without vulneraries or elixirs--imagine trying to sew up a big cut in your right arm. It's also an incentive to keep your force together in large part instead of sending off multiple groups with one healer each.

It gets even more obvious when we start talking about powerful units that can both use staves and attack. Now that would really be broken.

Both.

It makes sense that staff users can't heal themselves without vulneraries or elixirs--imagine trying to sew up a big cut in your right arm. It's also an incentive to keep your force together in large part instead of sending off multiple groups with one healer each.

It gets even more obvious when we start talking about powerful units that can both use staves and attack. Now that would really be broken.

Adding to what is already said, I believe that the developers had a mindset that the players would be cautious and not allow their healers to be exposed to attacks.

Adding to what is already said, I believe that the developers had a mindset that the players would be cautious and not allow their healers to be exposed to attacks.

Pfff! Why should I do that when I can finish the chapter a turn faster by moving into the range of that sniper? He only has 46 hit against me. I'm sure everything will turn out alright!

Pfff! Why should I do that when I can finish the chapter a turn faster by moving into the range of that sniper? He only has 46 hit against me. I'm sure everything will turn out alright!

Because he's got the 2% crit. :awesome:

Because he's got the 2% crit. :awesome:

But what are the chances of it actually activating? 2%?

Edit: FUCK! There goes an hour and a half of work.

Edited by FreeKnt

They are in FE10, y'know.

Sadly, they aren't trade-equippable. If you have any weapons in a unit's inventory and try to use another character to trade a staff to the top of your staff user's inventory, the staff user will auto-equip the highest weapon on their list. Meaning, if you want them to self heal next turn, they need to actually use their staff on someone that turn, rather than attack something and have another unit make them equip the staff.

Also, their counters will suck.

A funny thing to do is using trade to equip Ike's Ragnell or Elincia's Amiti despite the fact that you can't directly move around those two weapons in RD with other characters. Have Ike attack a dragon with wyrmslayer, then switch wyrmslayer for a vulnerary. If Ragnell is in slot #2 then it will auto-equip at this point.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Trade-equip is a useful thing to do. I use that quite often, mostly to unequip my units to prevent them from wasting valuable weapons after using them the first time.

Before FE10, I bring multiple staff units just because of the said question here.

to be fair, elixirs are as broken as any healing staff.

vulneraries and concoctions in RD are very potent as well.

Both.

That's why we have Elincia.

Ah, yes. But items that restore more than 10 HP are a new innovation of FE5, a long time after it was originally decided that staff users would have to heal each other. With the exception of vulneraries in FE3 there was no such thing as a healing item before then.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, yes. But items that restore more than 10 HP are a new innovation of FE5, a long time after it was originally decided that staff users would have to heal each other. With the exception of vulneraries in FE3 there was no such thing as a healing item before then.

In FE10 however, concoctions and vulneraries restore far more than 10 HP, plus they have so many uses as well. You barely need healers in that game; it's like IS wanted you not to use healers.

In FE10 however, concoctions and vulneraries restore far more than 10 HP, plus they have so many uses as well. You barely need healers in that game; it's like IS wanted you not to use healers.

I wasn't talking about FE10, I was talking about the series before FE5.

Which would you rather have attack something on player phase? Your 9th best unit that you deployed instead of your healer while your strongest unit heals himself, or have your strongest unit attack something after getting healed by your healer? Healers are simply more efficient, even in a game where healing items heal so much.

fe5 had vulneraries that were basically elixirs and staff users are still among the best. Granted that's largely because of stuff like warp and rewarp and sleep and restore, but still.

Edited by Narga_Rocks