the soldier of all hopes

whase

hey everyone, I started this fanfic about 2 weeks ago, just now I decided to post it here on SF.

it contains spoilers, so don't read if you haven't played FE10.

there is a feedback topic, so don't post here just read.

feedback topic: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18673

enjoy (or not)

:awesome:

Edited by whase

prologue

It is the year 670 on the continent Tellius. The beorc and laguz have finally settled peace, although there are still people who dont agree with this peace. Since the goddess has gone to sleep so that she could become Ashunera again, the tower of guidance is now the home of people that were calledthe branded. From here they can foresee any disaster that's coming. When they foresee a huge war, able to destroy all of Tellius, panic starts to get to people. But luckily they also know there is one person who could save the land of the people he works for, and thats where the war for the soldier of all hopes starts…

Gallia's new king Skrimir has been a good king ever since he began. Even though he kept on patrolling the borders of Gallia and kept on recruiting soldiers, he always tried to have peace between laguz and beorc. He uses friendly arena fights to keep the laguz happy.

Since hawk king Tibarn has become king of both hawks, ravens and herons, the ravens have always been second for him. Nobody has heard a thing from Neasala, his wife Leanne and his 2 children for a while.

Since the serenes forest has been returned to the Heron clan, a few heron survivors have gathered here. Although their population is still small. There are indications it is growing fast.

King Kurthnaga has opened the borders of Goldoa. Since then Goldoa has a lot of tourism, everyone wants to see the place they once weren't able to see. Goldoa is still known for its peace.

Begnion and Deain are both ruled by Micaiah, after the assassination of Sanaki. Some people still believe Sanaki is alive, but there is no proof.

Queen Elincia still rules over Crimea, since she married Geoffrey and had a child her reign has only gotten better and stronger.

It is on the border of Crimea and Gallia that the soldier of all hope will be found…

Edited by whase

Ch.1-New hopes

Alan is walking through his town, he is heading towards the arena. Today there is a fight between the local laguz champion, Mord, and a noisy laguz-hater. Suddenly he heard he was being followed, he turns around and sees a green cat behind him. "Hey, I told you not to sneak up on me, Kunebert", Alan said. "And I told you not to call me that name", the cat said while changing back to human shape. "come on, we'll be late for the fight". "since when do you like these fights, Kune? Your the first laguz that doesn't like fighting, and became a running messenger to have your daily portion of adrenaline." "I don't, but you do", Kune said.

That same moment a brigand entered the village. "Guys, coast is clear. West team, lets start plundering, everyone will be in the arena by now. The south team will join in soon." The bandit entered the first house he saw, took everything of worth and destroyed the house.

"Wait! Did you hear that?" Alan asked. "Who wouldn't? there are bandits in town!" Kune said. "let's fight them!" Alan said. "You don't even have a weapon, lets run and warn the villagers!" Kune answered. "okay, and then let's get my weapon and fight!" Alan started running towards the Arena. He'll never change, wont he?" Kune said before following him.

When Alan entered the arena, nobody believed him. They gave him a lance and made him fight some random guy, after which they took the lance away from him again. Alan tried to search in some houses, but nobody was home, he did find some vulnerary's there.

When entering his self-made fort, Alan started to smile; "yes, I knew I left it here." "A lance?" Kune said not believing his own eyes. "You'll be sure to get killed with that stick of yours." "do you really think so", Alan asked, while he became less confident. "Yes. come on, if we stay here we'll surely get killed. Let's go South for now, we'll return to the village later, when it's safe for you." Kune said and he ran south. Alan took one last look at his village. "I will return" he said before he ran south as well.

townch1.jpg

(^ ish map (GBA style))

Edited by whase

Ch.2-A journey awaits

"Where are we going now?" Alan asked Kune. "We're going to the village just a day walking from here.""Walking?" Alan asked, "Yes we'll ask for help in the next Crimean village", Kune said, and because he saw the next question coming, he continued "And no, we can't just go to the closest Gallian village because it's at a shorter distance. When king Skrimir finds out about his it'll be war with the bandits, which can escalate in a bigger war between laguz and beorc." "hey, I didnt say anything" Alan apologized. At that moment they heard wings in the sky, they saw a Pegasus flying towards them. From a small distance the Pegasus rider started to yell at them. "Hey! Do you know your village is under attack?" when she got closer she saw the look on Alan and Kunes faces. "Ohw, sure, of course you do... My name is Angie, a messenger of Crimea's queen Elincia, I have a message for Alan..." Kune suddenly looked south, "that message will have to wait, apparently that bandits that came from the west were not alone. You, messenger, can you fight?" "if I had a weapon I could" Angie said and got a reply from Alan fast. "I might just have a spare lance for you." "Okay, lets find a good place to defend ourselves."

That moment the first bandit noticed Alan's party, "good thing we hired that mercenaries to aid us, now they can show if theyre worth their wages."

As the battle started they hurried towards some abandoned forts, from there they were able to defend themselves fine. Kune had to save Alan a couple of times, as a cat Kune was almost unable to be hit.

While Angie tried to flee from being killed, she and her Pegasus suddenly bumped into a mercenary. The three of them fell and Angie fell right on the guy. While Angie's Pegasus stood up again, Angie stood up as well and wanted to apologize. "I...Im sorry." She knew very well she was blushing. "wow, hold it there. Youre not with this lancer-guy, are you?" the guy asked. "how do you mean, with? Im a messenger from..." Angie said before being interrupted by the mercenary. "all I needed to know. He turned to his fighters, "everyone, take a holiday. Im joining the other side!" and then turned back to Angie, "call me Blade, Im yours to command."

With a sword user on their side, the battle turned to an easy win for Alan's team. The last few bandits just ran away.

"Pegasus girl, you had a message for me? Alan asked, on which Blade came walking in the conversation, "yeah, you said you are a messenger, right?" Alan looked at Blade, "and who are you?" "call me Blade" Blade said. "Youre with us? Great, now we can win the village back!!!" Alan said and turned towards the village and would've started running if Kune didn't stop him. "we don't know with how many they are, we can't just rush in."

"I still have the message here", Angie interrupted, and she started reading the message aloud:

"Dear soldier Alan,

We have received word from the tower of guidance's sages that there are certain events going to happen, events in which we need your help. I, queen Elincia, like to invite you to visit me personally in the royal Crimean castle. Please fly with Angie on her Pegasus to ensure your safety.

Travel with care,

Queen Elincia."

After a short silence Kune said, "youre not really going, right?" "why not, it's perfect attention for the village!Angie, can you take Blade and me on your Pegasus? Kune is a runner, a messenger, like you, he can run there himself." Alan said. "wait a mo...." kune said, but was overheard by Alan yelling "I'm going to meet the queen!!!" when Angie said"sure".

ch2-southoftown.jpg

(^ ish map too)

Edited by whase

Ch3.-Unusual travellers

On their way to the castle, they were suddenly stopped by a group of hawks. "Identify yourself, are you the one they call 'the soldier of hopes'?"their leader shouted. Alan wanted to ask what he meant, but Angie was already shouting: "And what if he is?" "if that's the matter, I hereby officially claim him for the Hawk king!" before any other thing could have been shouted back, the hawks started to group and got ready to attack.

Alan couldn't believe his eyes, this fight was lost, he knew it. But then he saw a raven child flying towards them. "hey, boy!?! Can you please tell your friends here to leave us alone?" Alan shouted at the kid. The raven noticed Alan and quickly flew at him and stopped right in from of him. "They're not my friends, Ive never even seen a hawk in my life", he said with a big smile on his face. "if you need help, you can help you." "We're not going to let this kid fight!"Angie said. "what if he gets hurt?!?"

"oh, but I didn't say I was going to fight," the boy said, "you know, my mother taught me some galdr, I might not be the best, but it could be a huge help."

At that moment the first hawks were attacking, there was no time to say no. While Angie took care of the first hawk, the boy changed to his raven form while saying; "I also didn't say I was not going to fight"

With the teamwork of Angie and the boy, whose name is Neasan, they were able to survive every hawk attack. While Alan and blade could barely do any fighting on Angie's Pegasus.

"I dont get it, soldier of what did they say?"Alan asked Angie when all the hawks that were left had retreated. Angie started blushing again; "I have no idea" she said looking down, and they continued their travel. They were almost at the castle, now with a galdr singing raven boy at their side.

(no map inserted, just some air with some clouds.)

Edited by whase

• 2 weeks later...

Ch.4- No more rest

“Oh, I can see the castle!” Alan yelled. Blade, who was trying to sleep, opened his eyes and said; “Hey, isn’t that your friend right there at the gate?” ”wow, he’s fast.”Angie said. They landed in front of the gate, and Kune came walking towards them. Alan tried jumping off, but fell instead. Blade climbed off the Pegasus and wanted to help Angie get off, but Angie made a perfect jump off her Pegasus without his help. The gate started to open, and they saw Queen Elincia herself coming out with the royal knights behind her. Then Angie suddenly noticed, ”where did Neasan go?” But when the Queen started talking, she forgot about him.

“welcome, soldier of hopes,” Elincia said, “welcome to the royal palace of Crimea. Let’s get inside, your friends may join us.” While walking inside Kune whispered to Alan; “Did she just say ‘soldier of hopes’?” But Alan was too busy looking at everything inside the castle to notice.

They stopped at a grass field with an open roof where they saw a young female fighter practice with her axe. “Lucia, you can stop now” Elincia yelled at her daughter. The girl looked from Elincia, to Alan and then to Geoffrey, who was with the royal knights. And then she turned away and stepped aside. “alright, we may begin your training, soldier of hopes,” Elincia spoke. “training?” Alan asked, “what do you mean training?” “Oh, you don’t know yet?” Elincia asked, “well let me explain it to you. The sages of the tower of guidance have predicted a war coming up, a war that will take many lives. This war would destroy the unstable order and awaken the goddess before her joining would be completed, which will destroy the entire continent. But all is not lost, the sages have also predicted a soldier will rise who has the ability to protect 1 country. You are that soldier, Alan. The sages have seen it.” Then Kune interrupted Elincia, “this doesn’t make any sense, why Alan? Look at how weak he is!” “wha...” Alan said before being interrupted by Elincia again. “That’s exactly why we intend to train him. He is born and raised in Crimean territory, so we have most right to...” “what if I don’t want to?” Alan said. “Then we’ll have to force you, we’re sorry. Royal knights, your new target is the soldier of hopes himself”

“What about you guys?” Alan asked Angie and Blade. “It’s hard to turn against my queen, but I think you’re on the right side now,” Angie answered. “yeah, what she said,” was Blades answer.

The fight started and as soon as the first unit was knocked out Elincia’s daughter noticed they were actually fighting. “Mom, you can’t do this to him, he’s only a kid” Lucia yelled at her mother. “He is not like you honey,” Elincia yelled back, “he needs to learn his place.” “what if I need to learn my place, would you attack me?” “You’d never do th...” “oh, but I will” Lucia yelled, and she joined the battle.

After making a little progress Neasan suddenly showed up. “hey people, this way for an exit. You didn’t think I’d leave you, did you?”

With this big of a force it was all a piece of cake for them, until Lucia ended up fighting her own father, Geoffrey, leader of the Crimea royal knights. ”why would you do this, Lucia? Fighting your own father?” Geoffrey asked. “Why would you attack an innocent boy? Aren’t you there to protect the citizens of Crimea?” Lucia asked. “sometimes you have to make sacrifices in a time of war.” “What war, dad? There is no war!” “You’ll understand when you grow older, Lucia....” Geoffrey said, and he did not attack Lucia. Lucia walked away from the field through the door Neasan pointed out, and Alan and his group followed. Nobody pursued them, and Geoffrey let them leave the castle. With the words “you’re with the soldier of hopes now, Lucia, at least you’ll be safe” Geoffrey watched the group go south.

ch4castlecrimea.png

• 3 weeks later...

CH.5-Travel of the heart

“I can’t believe it, they destroyed it all!” Lisa said while searching through the ruins of her home. “We should’ve listened to Alan” Sofie said “he was trying to tell us in the arena.” “yes, Alan, I can’t believe he just left like that! Without me!” Lisa started to talk a little louder, “And couldn’t you’ve foreseen this? You’re the heron branded here!” “I’m sorry, I’m not…” Sofie was so ashamed that she looked away. And then she saw the box she was looking for. “I knew my locking spell worked!” she picked up the box, unsealed it and opened it.

“You see? I told you having a healing staff and thunder tome hidden!”

At that moment a small group of bandits ran into the village again. “See, I told you guys they’d open the box once we’d be gone.” Another bandit yelled “Let’s get them! I want more treasure!”

“Give me that tome, Sofie. We’ll not just give our stuff up!” Lisa said. Sofie gave the tome to Lisa and their first fight had started.

It was a hard fight, but since it wasn’t the entire bandit group, but just a small amount of leftovers, Sofie and Lisa somehow managed to survive. Some of the bandits had even been stupid enough to still carry the treasure they stole.

“And what now?” Sofie asked Lisa after the fighting was done. “We’re going after Alan!” Lisa said. “But I can’t” Sofie said “I’ll be picked up by the sages from the tower of guidance tomorrow! And you don’t even know where Alan has gone to!” “oh, come on! Those dusty old sages can wait! And Alan was always easy to find, just follow his laziness!” Lisa said. “Let’s go to the closest Gallian Village!”

CH5-destroyedtown.jpg

(The place I got my tiles didn't have ruins, I used a screenshot of a ruin in this)

CH.6–Dangerous times

Lisa and Sofie were walking through the woods towards a nearby Gallian village, it was getting dark. “let’s get back, Lisa. It’s getting dark, and these woods can be dangerous.” Sofie said. Lisa didn’t listen and just continued walking. “Come on, Lisa, I’m scared.” “you shouldn’t be, I’m here. Nobody will dare to attack if they see my skills” Lisa answered, and continued walking. “and why are you searching for Alan so desperately anyway?” Lisa’s face suddenly turned slightly red, and before she could think of an answer, she bumped into a big guy with an axe.

“Hey, this is our territory! You’ll regret barging in here!” and while the bandit called through the darkness to his group, an arrow flying through his troth killed him. An archer came running out of the darkness and started yelling at Lisa and Sofie. “How can you be so stupid walking here at night!?! I almost had a clear shot at the leader of this bandit group!” “I told you so!” Sofie said against Lisa, but their conversation was cut short by attacking bandits. It was night, and too dark to see a thing. The battle was looking hopeless, since nobody was able to take a hit and Sofie was working overtime healing.

On another side of the battlefield one of the thieves started pillaging his own group’s supplies. When he had everything he could carry. The guy ran towards the archer and started talking to him.

“Dan, I have all their vulneraries, this is your time to strike!” the thief said. “Great work, Victor, as promised you can keep the items and I’ll give you your 1,000 gold right after I survive this!” Dan, the archer, answered. Victor looked like he was being slapped in the face when he heard the word ‘after’. “That was not the deal!” “well, I’d love to pay you know, but that’s kind of hard while being slaughtered you know…” “oh, I understand” Victor said while starting to grin, “for, let’s say, another 1,000 gold I’ll help you out again!” “Can’t say no to that, it’s a deal!” Dan said while shooting another bandit.

Victor turned out to be very good at disarming opponents and stealing their weapons after that. The battle wasn’t very easy, but they pulled through. Standing near the bandit leader’s corpse Lisa said “you see, I told you I could handle it, now back to you guys, who are you and why did you get in our ways?” “She meant thanks for helping us out, you shouldn’t give her to much attention.” Sofie said. “I am Dan, I work for count Fayre. I help him disable bandit groups.” “you didn’t do a very good job, our village…” Lisa said, but was interrupted by Sofie again. “You are also branded, are you not?” “Yes, I’m Hawk branded, how about…?” Dan said before Lisa interrupted again. “If you’re going to kiss, please wait until I have found some bushes I can puke in…” “If you’re jealous, you could kiss me”, Victor said. Lisa became angry and Sofie and Dan started to laugh.

ch6roadtoGallia.png

('fog of war' map)

• 3 weeks later...

CH.7 – To wing, brothers.

After escaping the royal palace of Crimea, Alan and his small army of friends decided to find help in Daein. At the moment the first mountains were in sight, Alan decided, on Kune’s advice, to set up a camp. Everyone was tired from walking all night, so they were all thankful for that. Some saw this as a chance to get familiar with others of the group, conversations started.

Alan was walking through their camp, even though it was just a few tents he thought it looked awesome. But then he saw something that wasn’t ‘just’ a tent, this tent was huge in compare to all the other tents. He saw Lucia sitting in front, sharpening her axe. “where did you get that tent?” Alan asked Lucia while dropping right next to her. “Really, I just betrayed my own parents and the first thing you ask me is where my tent came from?” Lucia said angry while she stood up. “don’t you know how hard that was? It’s not like I left just someone, it’s my parents! All because you just had to show up that day! Why didn’t your parents stop you from doing this kind of stupid things?!?” Alan just kept on sitting there, without saying a word, looking at Lucia. Lucia looked back at Alan and she could tell by the way he looked what he was thinking of. “I…I’m sorry,” Lucia said, “What happened to them?” “My father died when I was 5, he was trying to stop a fight between 2 people. I’ve never known my mother.” Alan said, trying to keep a straight face. “But I was raised by Kune’s father, that’s why Kune is like family to me.” There was a short silence, until Lucia started talking again. “I’ve got it from Andy,” she said. “what?” Alan asked. “My tent, I have it from Andy. He’s my personal royal guard, my parents sent him over to aid us.” Lucia said. “Your way is the right one, I just have to remember my parents.” “I understand,” Alan said, “We all should.”

Somewhere else in the camp Angie was brushing her Pegasus, when suddenly she felt someone was staring at her. When she looked behind her all she saw was Blade reading a fighting scroll in front of his tent. She continued brushing, thinking it must have been her imagination. But then she felt it again, she looked behind her but with the same effect as before. She turned around again, but before starting to brush, she whispered something in her Pegasus’ ear. It didn’t take long before Angie’s Pegasus started to neigh towards Blade. Angie turned around quickly, saying “I knew you were looking at me!” to Blade. Blade stood up, “but…how?” Angie walked towards Blade, “a knight and her Pegasus are deeply connected, more than you are with your blade, Blade.” “well…I,..” Blade stuttered. “Well, you have anything to say for yourself?” Angie asked, while her Pegasus came walking towards her. “uhm, did you dislike me watching you?” Blade answered. “what…uhh, I…” Angie started to stutter. “I knew it, you liked it, didn’t you!” Blade laughed. While Angie’s Pegasus started to make a sound that pretty much resembled laughing, Angie turned red again. “I saw the way you looked at your scroll, you don’t even know how to read, do you?” “no, I can’t, did you notice?” Blade asked. “Easily,” Angie said, “maybe…I could teach you?” “That would be great.” Blade answered.

The entire camp was interrupted in what they were doing when they heard a lot of flapping sounds from the south. Everyone gathered and what they saw coming at the horizon wasn’t something they liked. A huge amount of bird tribe laguz was coming their way, and everybody knew they would soon have to fight the impossible again. This was their first fight they could prepare for. But after everyone equipped their weapons all they could do was wait.

Once the birds had gotten closer, they could see this time it was mainly consisting out of ravens. The raven kept their distance while their commander, who was a hawk, flew towards them. “Soldier of all hopes, surrender. As you can see you are outnumbered.” The commander said. Alan looked from the commander, to the huge amount of raven soldiers in the sky, and back to their commander again. Alan wanted to open his mouth, but saw Kune stepped forward. “I am Kune, right-hand to the one you call soldier of all hopes. We hereby ask to find a peaceful solution!” Kune shouted. “We’ll give you 5 minutes to surrender, if not, the soldier of all hopes will be taken by force, and all his companions shall be executed” the hawk commander shouted back. The hawk flew back to the rest of the troops.

Alan turned around towards his own little army. Every single person held on to his or her weapons and made clear they were ready to fight. Andy rode towards Alan on his horse, “Sir, I have brought you this weapon from the castle for you. It’s called Zirocrad, the lance of fears. Legend tells it can be wielded through hope only. If anyone can wield it, it would be you.” He said. Alan took the lance carefully, “Gee, thanks Andy.” “Sir, I’d prefer my full name, Antonov, sir.” But Alan didn’t listen anymore, he turned around and yelled “Let’s keep hope, and strike fear in our opponent’s hearts!”

The ravens transformed, and Alan’s group soon found out that not only in numbers, but as well as terrain they were in a bad position. Until one huge raven entered the battlefield. “Neasan, I told you to stay at home and out of trouble!” Neasala said, and he started to knock out any raven that came near him in search for his son.

Neasan ripped of a part of a wing from an enemy raven, the raven was unable to fly and plummeted to the ground. He flew towards the next enemy. But before he were able to attack, the raven fell and revealed an angry looking Neasala. “Stay here, we’ll talk later.” Neasala said. Neasan didn’t dare to move and just kept on looking at his father, who was taking on the entire raven army on his own. Soon Alan noticed as well, and it didn’t take long before everyone was watching with their mouth wide open. The ravens started retreating while the boss kept on yelling “Come back! I’m your commander, and you shall follow my orders!”. Neasala ripped the hawk in 2 and flew back towards Neasan.

Lucia came running towards Alan, “Alan! Did you see that? That is Neasala, he was the king of Kilvas until king Tibarn took over.” “I know...” Alan answered. “He pretty much slaughtered his own people here, I bet Tibarn has send them here because he thinks they’re wasteable.” Lucia continued talking. Alan just said “I’m going to meet a legend.”

ch7-mountainpass.png

• 2 weeks later...

CH.8 – The sacred garden.

Right after the fight Neasala asked Alan to wait a moment and started to have a talk with his son, Neasan. Alan’s group sat down tired. Even though Neasala did the most work, everyone had their own fair share of fighting that day. Lucia sat down next to Alan. “so, Neasan was the son of Neasala al along. I should’ve known, did you know?” Lucia asked. Alan looked at Lucia, thought for a moment and said “No, but now it just seems so obvious.” They both looked up into the sky where they saw Neasala yelling at his son, who looked like he was about to cry. “If you look at them, they just look so much alike.” Alan continued “I wonder what they’re talking about.” Then they saw Neasan fly towards the mountains, and Neasala came flying towards the group.

“Alan, may I invite you to my current home?” Neasala said. He didn’t need to wait for an answer after seeing Alan’s face, “I have your transport ready then.” At that moment they saw a small number of hawks and ravens coming their way. With Neasala for Andy’s horse and Angie and her Pegasus for Blade there was just enough transport for everyone.

The journey was without any trouble, not counting Andy, who is afraid of heights, almost strangling the hawk he was flying on out of fear. After almost an hour flying they saw a big field of green grass between all the rock. In the middle was a huge church-like building where they landed. A little heron girl came flying out the front door, “Daddy! You’re home again!” Neasala transformed back after putting the horse down, and hugged his daughter who came flying in his arms. That same moment another, slightly older looking heron an Neasan came outside, Neasan was looking down out of shame. Lucia got off of the tired hawk she was on, “well Neasala, you’ve made yourself quite a family here” she said. “And not just family of birth, princess of Crimea.” Neasala said. “We also have a lot of Beorc we house here, as well as a handful of bird laguz, a few Beast laguz and even one dragon laguz, and we see them all as family. Please rest inside, I’ll show you the path to Daein tomorrow.”

After everyone had found a free bed in a huge bedroom with lots of beds, Alan got bored and searched for people he wanted to talk with.

“Neasan!” Alan yelled when he saw Neasan sit in the corner of something that looked like a huge dining room. “so, what did your father tell you back there in the sky?” Neasan looked up “Please Alan, it’s best that you leave me alone.” “Hey! That’s unfair!” Alan said “I’m trying to be a friend here, so at least tell me what it was about.” Neasan was thinking for a moment, then he started talking. “I have a job to do, I’m a protector. My father finds certain people in need of protection and I’ll bring them to their destination. You were not one of my jobs, I wanted to help you myself. But now I do have a job to do so you won’t see me for a long time again.” “Let me talk to your father, I’ll tell him we need you!” Alan protested. “It won’t help” Neasan answered, “it’s my job, I have to do this.” Alan looked flustered, and then said “oke, but this won’t be the last time we see each other right?” “I’m sure it won’t be,” Neasan said, “but I have to go now.” And with those words Neasan took off through a window into the sky.

Andy was feeding his horse in the stables, apparently he and his horse both didn’t like flying much. Then he heard something quickly come past behind him. He turned around but saw nothing. He turned towards his horse again, but almost had a heart attack when he saw a raven and a hawk standing right in front of him. “So this is the fearless knight who’s afraid of flying?“ the raven said. “Yes, this is the brave warrior who fears heights.” The hawk said. “who are you guys?” Andy asked. “My name is Hawk,” the raven said. “And my name is Raven.” The hawk said. “And we’re brothers,” they said together. Andy had gotten confused by the names and stuttered “ wait...raven...hawk...but you...?” “My mother was a raven,” the hawk named raven said. “My father was a hawk,” the raven named hawk said. “And we’re twins, can you see it?” they said together. “Our parents couldn’t take care of us” hawk said, “so we ended up here” raven said. “with father Neasala” they said together. “Now where did you come from?” Andy was trying to process all the information given to him, and then answered. “My name is Antonov, son of Makalov and Astrid from the royal knights protecting queen Elincia. My duty is protecting Lucia, daughter of queen Elincia and next heir to the throne of Crimea.” He said. “Did you understand a word he said, Hawk?” Raven said. “I think it was something like this...” Hawk said, “bla bla bla his name is Andy, bla bla bla something about his girlfriend, bla bla bla and he likes us so much and wishes he could fly again” “But...that’s not...” Andy stuttered before being interrupted again. “oh no, now you’ve done it Hawk.” Raven said. “Now he’s going to kill us, Raven.” Hawk said. “Run!” Raven screamed laughing. “Fly!” Hawk shrieked of laughter. The bird brothers flew a circle in the air and left the stables, leaving a flustered Andy behind.

Alan was walking through a corridor, he wouldn’t admit it, but he was lost. Children were running past him, they clearly knew where they were going to. But Alan was too stubborn to follow them and chose his own path, only to get lost even more in this huge building. He got tired of walking in circles and was going to sit down on a window-frame. But before he could Neasala suddenly walked past, “come with me, we need to talk.” He said.

They walked through a few corridors, corridors Alan didn’t even notice before. And they came out in a big garden, though it was more like they had an entire forest in that room. Alan couldn’t keep his eyes off of it, so beautiful it was. “Alan, I understood you had some questions for me” Neasala said. “Yes,” Alan said, “I need your help. It’s like everyone needs me to protect them. You are someone with a name out there, you could talk to them.” “That name is long gone by now,” Neasala said, “after betraying my allies and leaving my fellow ravens for that awful hawk Tibarn, I have lost my rights to say anything.”

Alan looked disappointed, but started looking at the indoor forest. “Does this look like the serenes forest? I’ve never been there.” He said. Neasala answered, “Yes, it is like our own part of serenes. Without it, Leanne wouldn’t be wanting to live here.” “It’s beautiful” Alan said. “It sure is” Neasala answered.

Suddenly an old man came running in yelling “intruders! Mister Neasala, mister Neasala! There are intruders inside the building!” Neasala immediately flew off towards the way the man was pointing at, and Alan ran towards the man. “Sir, are you alright?” Alan asked. The man looked at Alan for a moment, and then suddenly kneeled down before him. “Oh my Ashunera, “ the man mumbled, “thank you, thank you for allowing me to meet such a great man, the soldier of all hopes!” Alan was momentarily stunned of surprise, but regained consciousness soon. “stand up, where are those intruders?” the man was just getting up when the question already answered itself. The door at the other side of the serenes garden swung open and a big amount of bandits entered the room. “what’s this, a forest inside a church?” The man that clearly looked like the leader said. “this must have a reason, maybe they hide their money in those trees. Religious people are dumb enough to do that. Cut everything down, boys! I hunger for gold!”

“great, I have to take them on my own?” Alan said, seeing no one near except for the old guy. “Sir...” The old guy said, before being interrupted by Alan. “you can fight? Great! Let’s go!” Alan dove into the bushes and started to take down enemies one by one. But the bandits were cutting down all trees. Alan wouldn’t be able to finish enough bandits before being exposed. And with Genaldo, the old guy, only hiding behind Alan with his healing staff, there wasn’t a lot of chance for survival. But all luck being on their side again, suddenly Andy stormed inside with Raven and Hawk through the western door. “no one touches our home!” Raven said. Hawk flew to the ground and touched the floor with his hand, saying “I do” “I meant no outsiders do, you dum...” Raven shrieked, but was interrupted by Andy. “less talking more fighting!” “Yes sir!” the brothers said together.

It didn’t take long before the rest of the group stormed in through the eastern door, together they stormed towards the enemy commander and saved the serenes garden without too much damage.

At that moment Neasala came storming inside, “I’ve searched the entire building, I couldn’t find anyone,” He said. When seeing the intruders on the floor, and fallen trees in his garden, he immediately flew towards a fallen tree. “don’t worry, sir.” Alan said to Neasala, “they were only able to cut down a few of the older trees.” “Don’t worry?” Neasala asked, “everything in this garden, even those old trees, were part of nature’s system to preserve itself! It might take years before it’s all balanced again! What would Leanne say if she saw this?” “She’d say it’s not a big thing,” Leanne said, flying into the room with her daughter. “Lillia and I can sing the Galdr of rebirth.” Leanne looked at her daughter and back to Neasala again. “Are you sure Lillia is ready for this?” Neasala asked. “Alright then,” Neasala said when Leanne and their daughter Lillia both nodded.

ch8-serenesgarden.png

(map is just a general idea)

Edited by whase