Hokuto no Ken

Nightmare

AKA Fist of the North Star, it's about awesomeness and manly tears.

"The year is 2010. The Earth has been devastated by nuclear war. The seas have dried up and the land is cracked and desolate. Most living things on the planet have become extinct apart from the human race. In this new age violence rules as civilisation is lost and the strong rule the weak in a world where food and water are the only thing with value. At this time a mysterious man named Kenshiro appears with his deadly martial art, the 2000 year old Hokuto Shinken. With his deadly style eliminating the evil is he the saviour of the new era?" From MAL (fixed some errors).

The thing I really love about this, aside from the spectacular fight scenes and atmosphere, is how amazingly emotional it is. I can't really go into detail here because of spoilers, but trust me, it's deep. Also has amazing moral value, if you're into morals (like me). I've read all chapters of the manga, and watched some bits of the anime. They're both good, but the anime has some unnecessary changes and silly fillers, so I recommend the manga first. The anime has some pretty great music and voice acting though (Banjo Ginga, yessss).

Scenes that particularly moved me (obvious spoilers):

Shin's stubborn attitude regarding his love of Yuria, and how he finally admitted to only wanting Yuria in the end. I thought that was pretty touching.

Believe it or not, I actually really felt sorry for Juda. Sure, he was being somewhat silly, but how he died in the end was pretty beautiful ("At least...I'm in your arms now..."). And it was pretty sad how Rei died right after. A man of justice and love till the end.

Shuh. He's the epitome of virtue (barring maybe Toki). The way he sacrificed himself willingly for the sake of his followers and how he died, it was amazingly moving.

Souther was one that really moved me. It's just...so great, I can't even begin to describe it.

Then you have Fudoh's moments (lots of those) and finally...Raoh. He is so great that even Kenshiro cries every time he remembers Raoh. His love, his way of life, just about everything about Raoh is great.

If you don't cry once, or at least get teary eyed (like me) when reading/watching this, even if just once, then you are terrible and have no soul and not human and should not exist.

Read it at MangaFox or MangaVolume. Watch it wherever. But either way, do it now. You're doing yourself a great disservice if you don't. And learn a few things from it while you're at it.

Edited by Nightmare

That's the only series where I can say that I cried without being ashamed.

I cried 7 times

Edited by Kenshiro

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why Jagi was even allowed so far into the training. Ryuken should've known he got corrupted or something. But either way, I feel really sorry for him. Not the crying kind, like the other major antagonists, but he seems to just want some respect and recognition.

Seemed like he was traumatized. That's understandable, given what happened to him...

...I think.

I dunno, either he was a really envious person, or he just wanted love, like the Jagi Gaiden manga pointed out.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It hasn't been one month yet so I guess I can still post that...some amazing guy has taken up the mantle of translating all the missing Hokuto no Ken chapters (manga). They're being posted daily on Manga Fox! This guy is my hero. He's done almost all of volume 6, and will continue to translate every missing chapter (even a single one that's missing in volume 20).

Dunno if this matters much to anyone else but yeah.

Bump excuse, yeeeeeeaaahhh!!!