What the crap.

So a week or so ago I applied for a job at one of the local grocery stores, in hopes that they'd start hiring for summer in a few weeks and actually notice my application this time. I used the online application.

So then a little while ago, I ran a routine virus scan on my computer, because paranoia is healthy. It didn't turn up anything but a tracker cookie. I wasn't that fussed, since those tended to come from lame and probably harmless advertising sites. Just to keep track of things, though, I looked at where it had come from. (Tracker cookie: Like a regular cookie, but it sends information to the site that was using it after you close the site. Can tell the site where you go afterwards.)

It was from the store's site.

I'm pretty peeved about this.

Yeah, it was probably something like that, along with checking to see that I'm not some sort of terrible Internet criminal.

I think all it got before I deleted it were other job applications, as I was doing those in Firefox while keeping my forum activity and TVTropes addiction in Chrome, but still. I'm annoyed. In the unlikely event that they bother to hire me, unless I've got no other offers (unlikely since I've already got about half an offer and applied about twenty places) I'm going to just call them out on it and turn them down.

It was only a matter of time considering the fact that employers have been looking at facebooks/myspaces of their applicants to see what they do on their free time for a couple of years now. Although I do find it to be bullshit tbh, invasion of privacy much?

It was only a matter of time considering the fact that employers have been looking at facebooks/myspaces of their applicants to see what they do on their free time for a couple of years now. Although I do find it to be bullshit tbh, invasion of privacy much?

I think you pretty much give away your privacy when putting all your information on the internet, always think twice before joining a site like that.

I think you pretty much give away your privacy when putting all your information on the internet, always think twice before joining a site like that.

Dude. I was applying for a job. Lil bit different than joining Facebook and expecting to still have privacy. Not to mention the extensive privacy policy on the application, which apparently had more doublespeak than usual. At any rate I applied on paper at the same store for three years in a row and was ignored every time, and I wouldn't have even applied since they seem to hate me, but I kind of had to apply everywhere I could to try and guarantee myself a job.

...Their competitor seems to want to hire me though. So that's something. Though I'd rather have Gamestop finally call me back.

Yes. Yes it does.

...There's also the "they don't want to hire you if you haven't got work experience/how the hell do you get work experience if nobody will hire you" conundrum. Because babysitting and volunteer work don't count.

Lousy store, didn't want to work there anyway, considering they hire all the people from my old school who should probably have been arrested by now for various reasons.