FEDS Nightmare question

Dat Nick

Hopefully, this will be the last question I have to ask. How do I select multiple bytes at once in Windhex?

I don't think Windhex allows that, but it has a similar function. Under one of the main menus, there's a option called "dump binary data" or something similar. Select this and set the beginning as 0x114 and the end as 0x2A3.

Then to paste the data, you find the option "insert binary data" (or something like that) and set the beginning as 0xA40.

And while your post covers how to find Abel/Cain/Jagen/Gordin/Draug's data, where's Frey/Norne's? Do I just keep hopping 80 bytes over until I find a 34 and a 35?

You don't really need to get their exact data - you can just change Jagen or Gordin's character IDs to 34 and 35 and also set their class IDs to Cavalier and Archer. You can also adjust their inventories in a similar manner.

However, if you do want their exact data, you'll need to check other the bmap files. I believe Frey's data starts from 0x114 in the bmap202 file and I think Norne's starts from 0x584 in the bmap204 file.

Okay, I've got a big problem. I copy everything from 0x114 to 0x2A3 to 0xA40. Then I edit what I presume I need to (A130 to 34, A132 to 06, A180 to 35, A182 to 0D), save, boot the file back up again and it's gone. And it keeps vanishing no matter what. What on earth's going on?

Edited by Detective Badd

Do you mean the data from around 0xA40 disappears, or is it something else?

If that's the case, did you expand the file to the size that I mentioned earlier (to 3100 bytes)? If you don't expand the file, you won't be able to save the changes since you're writing the data to somewhere that doesn't yet exist.

Then I edit what I presume I need to (A130 to 34, A132 to 06, A180 to 35, A182 to 0D)

Something about this seems kind of wrong. When you say A130, do you mean the value at the address 0xA130 or a byte with a value of A1 30?

Either way, it's wrong since an address of 0xA130 is very far down from your starting point of 0xA40, and you should be replacing values of 02, 08, 06 and 0C.

Actually, I just noticed that you would be correct if you had said B30, B32, B80 and B82 instead. Did you definitely insert the data from 0xA40 and not 0xA140?

Edited by VincentASM

No, I see what I did. I never saw A40 until just now (trust me, I looked) and always assumed that the byte was A040 >_>

EDIT: And everything works beautiful. Just two minor issues and one big one.

A: Where's the data for inventory in hex? I might want to fix Frey joining with a Silver Lance sometime.

B: Gordin vanishes in chapters 2-3. I assume it's a similar procedure to get him back?

C: It won't work at all on my flashcart (freezes after the map scrolls on C1) but works perfectly on emulators. What gives?

Edited by Detective Badd

Ah okay. Just to be completely sure, 0xA40 should only be a small distance away from data, which is being used, towards the top. I wouldn't tell you to repoint your data to the middle of nowhere : P