Best games ever countdown

Santino

Blablabla:

I felt the need for another "project" so I decided to try listing all the games I've enjoyed. Upon finding out that there are quite a lot of them, and because I like ripping off Darkufo (Lost fansite) I made them into a countdown. I quite like the various ones around the web and wanted to do my own, so I'll gamble my chances for having people follow it. With a guessing game to keep it going. The list includes maybe around 40% of the games I've played.

Guessing game:

I'll give hints for the following games to be revealed, and if you guess it right you get 5 fictional dollars. First one to guess it gets 10. Only one guess allowed per game. The one who gets the most fictional dollars will win a fictional trip to Hawaii to top it all :)

The list so far:

Good tier:

138: Metroid

137: Ice Climber

136: Brainies

135: Goof Troop

134: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

133: King's Bounty

132: Megaman 7

131: Megaman & Bass

130: Inspector Gadget

129: Wario World

Game #138:

metroid.png

Metroid

Console: NES

Genre: Platforming shooter

The original Metroid which was extraordinary at the time it came, it features the mysterious Samus walking through the caves of Zebes while shooting things and finding powerups. The reason it is so low on my list is probably that I played all the other Metroids first – this one of course feels clunky and repetitive in comparison. Still, it's great to see where it all started.

Game #137:

iceclimber.png

Ice Climber

Genre: Platforming

What to say, what to say... endless jumping and it's fun.

Game #136:

brainies.png

Brainies

Console: SNES

Genre: Puzzle

I seriously doubt many people have heard about this one, but it's very fun. The video says it all.

Game #135:

gooftroop.png

Goof Troop

Genre: Platforming? Action RPG? I dunno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwCVmeAvbcI

Goof Troop is a very simple game based on Disney's TV show. You control Goofy and his son, and walk around solving puzzles and killing enemies on some island. The controls and stuff resemble A Link to the Past to a large degree, even using the hookshot. I would almost call this the first multiplayer Zelda game.

Game #134:

zeldaoracleofages.png

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Console: GBA

Genre: Action RPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4TGCZeT-c

The only oracle game I've tried, this is basically a whole new game using the (near) exact same buildup as Link's Awakening. The new part is the story, and the added concept of time travel. There are parts of this game that I will always enjoy a lot, like the main castle, going to two different “worlds” and the underwater parts. Some other parts I didn't like as much (bah ring system), but this is a good 2D Zelda game.

Game #133:

kingsbounty-1.png

King's Bounty

Console: PC and probably some others

Genre: Strategy

King's Bounty is an old game, easily confusable with a recent game of the same name. If you have heard of King's Bounty then the reason is probably this: it's the spiritual predecessor to Heroes of Might and Magic. I don't really remember the story, but you control a hero walking around a world map, gathering army to fight foes and take castles. You fight in battles much like the ones in HoMM, with your troops on the left and enemy troops on the right, ready to decrease each others' numbers.

Games #132 and #131:

megaman7plussmegamanandbass.png

Mega man 7 and Mega man and Bass

Console: SNES and GBA

Genre: Platforming shooter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRRlbyHfrQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sKsWiO7rI&feature=related

I included two games here cause they really are quite similar. The first part of the real Megaman series for the SNES and its (initially) Japan exclusive follow-up, these games bring Megaman to a nice world with the regular setup of choosing levels. The bosses are fun, Bass is a good edition and Wily is there of course. The option of playing as Bass feels quite like playing as Zero in the X games, if only because of his looks.

Game #130:

inspectorgadget.png

Inspector Gadget

A great game for a great cartoon. You control Inspector Gadget through a world of bad guys and dangers, getting your way through jumping and using a part of Gadget's quite special arsenal.

Game #129:

warioworld.png

Wario World

Console: Gamecube

A unique feel of 3D platforming, controlling Wario for a change. You go through a set of nice stages without having to think too much, and may also link to a GBA to get a trial of a few WarioWare minigames. Not one of the best 3d platformers but it's fun.

Hints for the next batch of games:

#128: Introducing a hungry pink ball.

#127: The seventh of a series popular around here.

#126: Jim Carrey for the SNES.

#125: King's Bounty's successor.

#124: The fourth Mario board game.

#123: Ashte ludo?

#122: One of the most famous video games in the world. A prominent character has won Gamefaqs' character battles.

#121: The introduction of one of the faster characters in Super Smash Bros.

#120: It's on an island, it's lego, and it has the number 2.

#119: Evolution long before Spore.

Edited by Santino

Okay, here's my guesses.

#128: Kirby's Dream Land

#127: Fire Emblem 7

#125: King's Bounty: The Legend

#124: Mario Party 4

#122: Final Fantasy 7

#121: F-Zero

#120: Lego Island 2

#119: SimLife

For #126 and #123, I have no idea.

Good guesses. Dracohon won 40 fictional dollars and Suichimo won 50 :)

The new batch:

Game #128:

kirbysadventure.png

Kirby's Adventures

The first and maybe best Kirby game. The reason it didn't get higher on the list is maybe that I never managed to beat the damn painter boss of world 2. You get to play around as the fun little ball of fluff in a world that is surprisingly nice for a NES game, with a good challenge level, good level design and generally good looks. The ability to eat enemies to get their power is just awesome.

Game #127:

fireemblemblazingsword.png

Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (Or simply FE7)

Genre: Strategy RPG

Does it need an introduction? : P

Play the story of Lyn, Eliwood and Hector. A quite good game but not one of my favorite FEs.

This marks the end of the good teir and the beginning of the Very, very good tier:

Game #126:

themask.png

The Mask

This game is great. You control the mask – known at the time from a cartoon, a movie and (I think) a comic, as he walks through levels like an apartment complex, downtown and an industrial site, fighting both alarm clocks, bad guys and people lying in their beds with rifles ready. Bosses are quite hard in this game, but that's part of the charm.

Game #125:

heroesofmightandmagic.png

Heroes of Might and Magic

Console: PC

Genre: Strategy

The first of the Heroes games, based in the universe of the Might and Magic series. You are one of several teams, consisting of heroes, towns and armies, and the most usual objective is to conquer all enemy towns and beat the enemy armies. This game brings a varied lot of creatures from mythology and fantasy and uses them in a good strategic way, providing a big heap of gameplay opportunities. What it lacks is made up for in its sequels.

Game #124:

marioparty4.png

Mario Party 4

Genre: Party/Board game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9cNbA9LfGU

I've tried four of the Mario Parties, this is the best of those four in my opinion. The board games are great for games with friends, though very time consuming. The best part though, are the minigames, and how many there are. The feeling of waiting in anticipation to see which minigame is coming up is fun. The possibility to play some of the best minigames in a different way for records is also good.

Game #123:

ashtekashte.png

Ashte Kashte

Genre: Board game

A simple ludo-like free internet game. On a board, you have four bricks and have to send them to the middle before your opponents get their bricks there. Landing a brick on a friendly brick gives a big brick, and landing a brick on an unfriendly brick send the victim back to start. Simply google its name to find and play it.

Game #122:

tetris.png

Tetris

Console: Too many to count

Genre: Arcade/speed puzzle/something

The famous game made by that Russian guy, the principle is easy as hell and it still works. Now you can find it for free thousands of places around the internet.

Game #121:

starfox.png

Star Fox

Genre: Eeh.. spaceship shooter?

The first game with Fox and pals, being all about flying past things and shooting them to smithereens. The Corneria stage is unforgettable, and controlling the Arwing is fun. The best part of this game is the soundtrack and the atmosphere it gives though.

Game #120:

legoisland2.png

Lego Island 2

Genre: Platformer with lots of minigames

The sequel to Lego Island was nothing like Lego Island, the island itself had even changed completely. But it was fun. The goal of the game is to catch the Brickster, the native thief who's run from prison, and you follow him through several lego-themed worlds while doing so, going through various minigames on the way. Usually that wouldn't sound so great, but these minigames managed to keep it fun. What I hate about the game is glitches, I never could complete it because of them.

Game #119:

evosearchforeden.png

EVO

Genre: RPG/Platformer/Something

This Enix game is all about evolution. You start out as a fish in the pre-dinosaur era, and as you kill enemies you get evolution points turning you into a stronger creature. Eventually you evolve into a lizard and eventually a dinosaur, then more modern creatures. Becoming a human is possible. All along the ride you have a large control of what kind of creature you want to be. Much earlier than Spore and probably better as well.

Hints for next batch:

#118: Raiden.. Sub-Zero.. Scorpion.. The first game.

#117: Three games here. Double Dragonish for the SNES, I believe they are a Street Fighter spinoff.

#116: The third of a series which afterwards spawned a massive MMORPG.

#115: The western sequel to a very popular game. Japan got another sequel instead.

#114: Saving civilians from being killed by undeads, monsters and aliens. SNES (and arcade IIRC).

#113: Shinok.. Fujin.. Goro.. The fourth game.

#112: Bounty hunter goes to a dangerous planet to exterminate dangerous creatures at their home. Gameboy.

#111: Gamecube Cart Racing.

#110: 64 Cart Racing.

#109: A very popular SNES game with an awesome clownish antagonist.

[spoiler=guesses]#118: Mortal Kombat

#116: Warcraft III

#115: Doki Doki Panic Super Mario Bros. 2

#113: Mortal Kombat IV?

#112: Metroid II

#111: MK: Double Dash

#110: Diddy Kong Racing

#109: FF III (american) = FF VI

[spoiler=My guesses]#118: Mortal Kombat

#117: Final Fight

#116: Warcraft 3

#115: Super Mario Bros. 2

#113: Mortal Kombat 4

#112: Metroid 2

#111: Mario Kart: Double Dash

#110: Mario Kart 64

#109: Final Fantasy 6

Kirby's Adventure

The first and maybe best Kirby game.

Kirby's Dream Land was the first Kirby game. Kirby's Adventure was the second.

Kirby's Dream Land was the first Kirby game. Kirby's Adventure was the second.

It was? I always assumed they were two different names for the same game. (You still get your cash though as the mistake is mine : P)

Ya, Kirby's Dreamland is a lot like Spring Breeze from Kirby's Super Star, if you ever played that. But the individual stages tended to be longer, there was an extra boss, and it's harder. There was also a hard mode if you beat the normal mode. Also, there weren't any powers back then.

The DS port of Kirby's Super Star has a new version that adopts some of the elements of the GB kirby's dreamland (such as the extra boss, a giant blimp).

The gameboy game "nightmare in dreamland" is a port of kirby's adventure.

Edited by SeverIan

Ya, Kirby's Dreamland is a lot like Spring Breeze from Kirby's Super Star, if you ever played that. But the individual stages tended to be longer, there was an extra boss, and it's harder. There was also a hard mode if you beat the normal mode. Also, there weren't any powers back then.

The DS port of Kirby's Super Star has a new version that adopts some of the elements of the GB kirby's dreamland (such as the extra boss, a giant blimp).

The gameboy game "nightmare in dreamland" is a port of kirby's adventure.

Huh, more remakes than I thought. I played Super Star and liked it but don't really remember it well enough to include it on the list.

The list so far:

Good tier:

128: Kirby's Adventure

127: Fire Emblem 7

Very, very good tier:

126: The Mask

125: Heroes of Might and Magic

124: Mario Party 4

123: Ashte Kashte

122: Tetris

121: Starfox

120: Lego Island 2

119: E.V.O. Search for Eden

Cash:

Dracohon: 40 + 45

Suichimo: 50

Balcerzak: 70

Dio: 55

Maybe I should make hints harder. Good guesses guys.

Game #118:

mortalkombat.png

Mortal Kombat

Genre: Fighting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GPMO4p2Oig&feature=related

Everyone who plays video games has heard of Mortal Kombat. This is the first game in the series, featuring a handful of characters with a few more unlockable ones, all with their own moves and techniques. The one player mode is most fun IMO, climbing the tree of enemies to fight first the playables, then the almighty Goro and finally the old shape shifter guy.

Game #117:

Final Fight series

Genre: Let's call it the Double Dragon genre

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=l_kAFpBgQjI&feature=related

I dislike Street Fighter and I don't like what this game stands for, but.. it's very very fun. You control some people who need to fight their way across town to defeat some gang. The best way to play IMO is co-op, where friendly fire is always on so you can kill your pal if you feel like it. No saving and limited continues though so beware.

Game #116:

warcraft3.png

Warcraft 3

Genre: Strategy with rpg elements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEgnePu-pE

Forget the main game in Warcraft 3, it sucks. What's great about this game is the custom map opportunities and the vast amount of great stuff people have made. Mini-RPG, “Zelda remakes”, tower challenges, base-controlling games, indirect battle games, etc etc. Great times on LAN have been spawned from this.

Game #115:

supermariobros2.png

Super Mario Bros 2

Console: NES/SNES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrL3Jc0isF0

Originally a NES game, I prefer the Allstars version. This game changed the original Super Mario Bros into something different (due to not originally being a Mario Game), with four playable characters, many nice bosses and vegetable weapons among other stuff. This game introduced things like shy guys, snifits, birdos and bob-ombs and will always be a great Mario game even if it's different.

Game #114:

zombiesatemyneighbours.png

Zombies Ate my Neighbors

Genre: Shooter?

A classic. The name kinda says it, you are a guy/girl who runs around saving your neighbors from zombies. And crazy babies, mummies, aliens, etc. There's some challenge in finding them all before they get eaten, as well as surviving, cause the levels tend to be hard to navigate. To help you on your way you get tons of weapons, from knives and forks to bazookas. I like that noone guessed it :)

Game #113:

mortalkkombat4.png

Mortal Kombat 4

Very similar to the first game, though with a lot more characters and cutscenes, this is a little better in my opinion. The bad guy Shao Kahn is gone, but now the evil god Shinok is causing some kind of trouble. Never mind that, you get to beat up people. This game also lets you move slightly back and forth as well as left and right. Alternate suits are nice.

Game #112:

metroid2returnofsamus.png

Metroid 2: Return of Samus

Console: Gameboy

Genre: Platform shooter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YI6-HKpp3Q

Samus returns to the Metroids' home planet to destroy them all. This game is quite unique in the Metroid series – it is very linear because you can't go on before you kill an area's metroids, but each area is very big and open. The spider ball also allows you to cling to any wall as far as you don't take harm, so exploration is much easier than in other games. You gather pickups through the game as usual, but maybe not as many as in other games. My favorite part of the game is the metroid battles – each metroid is a miniboss and they get steadily harder as the game progresses.

Game #111:

mariokartdoubledash.png

Mario Kart Double Dash

Genre: Racing

I consider this the worst Mario Kart I've played, which still makes it a great game. Mario and friends race each other in go-karts, with single races, grand prixes, vs'es and different speed classes. Double Dash is famous for having two people in each kart, which is a nice feature for one game though I'm glad the successors didn't keep it. The stages are nice but the controls aren't as good as in most of the other games.

Game #110:

mariokart64.png

Mario Kart 64

Console: Nintendo 64

The first 64 game to hit the list is another Mario Kart. There's nothing much bad about this game in my opinion. Mario Kart 64 had the best non-race multiplayer stuff and brought some nice stages. It's the solid base of a very good racing series (Super Mario Kart doesn't count). Leaving the race completely to visit Peach's caste is fun.

Game #109:

finalfantasy6.png

Final Fantasy 6

Genre: RPG

Considered legendary to some, I consider this a very (very) good but not super-duper-awesome game. In an industrial, futuristic world, Terra is a girl with magic abilities. She has to embark on a journey where she meets a lot of other people and battles an empire and the unforgettable Kefka. I really like this game's characters and music, not to mention the unique abilities people have in combat and how some suck early and and rock later and vice versa.Edgard and Cyan are my fave characters, Shadow is overrated and Kefka is just epic. How many people can be badass and comic relief at the same time?

Hints for next batch:

#108: A NES game about a guy with a sword. Has a tendency to lag in later areas of the game.

#107: SNES mouse racing.

#106: Retro game through squares and quadrangles.

#105: A sheet of Mario.

#104: Hunter's mission zero.

#103: SNES, a platformer with a horror-loving family.

#102: NES modern-themed rpg.

#101: Altered hunter in a space station.

#100: Baraka.. Kung Lao.. Kintaro..

#108: Legend Of Zelda

#105: Mario Paint

#103: I'm forced to say an Adams family game?

Seems like i forgot to put spoilers.

Edited by Mordecai

[spoiler=My guesses]#108: The Legend of Zelda

#107: Biker Mice from Mars

#105: Paper Mario

#104: Metroid: Zero Mission

#103: The Addams Family

#102: Mother (AKA Earthbound Zero)

#101: Metroid Fusion

#100: Mortal Kombat 2

All my spoiler tags aren't really because there's spoilers, more just to save people from scrolling : P

The list so far:

Good tier:

Very, very good tier:

118: Mortal Kombat

117: Final Fight series

116: Warcraft 3

115: Super Mario Bros 2

114: Zombies Ate my Neighbors

113: Mortal Kombat 4

112: Metroid 2

111: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

110: Mario Kart 64

109: Final Fantasy 6

Cash:

Dracohon: 85 + 70

Dio: 55 + 40

Mordecai: 20

Yeah, I'll try to make hints harder. Also feel free to comment if you see games you think are awesome or horrible or something.

thelegendofzelda.png

The Legend of Zelda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxWKNC6fR5Y

The very first Zelda game and a solid grounding to a good series. Link has two kinds of areas to explore: the overworld and the dungeons. What I like about this as a gamer in 2010 is the freedom it has – you can do the dungeons in the order of your choice, you can explore the whole map from the start, you can use keys in dungeons you didn't get them in etc. And it is all very quick to access. Speech is minimal, but the way people speak is fun.

bikermicefrommars.png

Biker Mice from Mars

I friggin loved that cartoon when I was in elementary school. What matters though is that this is a solid racing game for the SNES, seen from a sky view. You choose one of the characters from the show and race the others, and winning races earns you money to use on improving your vehicle. If you're not among the top three after every fifth race, it's game over. Getting to the end of this game is quite an entertaining challenge.

geometrywars.png

Geometry Wars

Console: Xbox 360

Genre: Arcade

Possibly the strongest point of the 360 IMO is the games you download through their version of WiiWare (I dunno the the : P). Geometry Wars is a neverending arcade with several modes and good multiplayer possibilities, and I love it. I generally hate arcade games like that. Shoot things till you die and battle for most points, or try pacifism mode, where you drive through gates killing everything around you. Pacifism is best.

papermario.png

Paper Mario

Console: Nintendo 64

Genre: Turn-based RPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJQDQFVkeY0

The only reason I played this was because I wanted something random from Virtual Console, but I was impressed. Story wise, this game is kinda like Super Mario RPG but not very, and the humor is very much shaped by the fact that everyone's made of paper. It still keeps the marioverse essence to a large degree. Princess Peach is kidnapped by Bowser (surprise), and so is her castle. Mario has to save her, and through the process he goes through several surprisingly large areas, meeting partners and fighting minions on the way. The mechanics use very small numbers compared to most turn-based RPGs, and Mario's partners play a smaller roll than Mario himself in battles.

metroidzeromission.png

Metroid: Zero Mission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68tMcIHeWA

The remake of the original Metroid is a great game. Though it adds a lot of new content, the general appearance of the areas as well as certain distinct rooms mimic the original perfectly. The textures look like Super Metroid through Fusion graphics. I'd say Zero Mission is great when it comes to hiding and adding stuff while still making it look like the original Metroid. Once you get enough equipment, you can take huge secret shortcuts between areas. To fit in the Chozo, they added Crateria from Super Metroid. And the ending, that's just one huge, awesome add-on. This game also features the most difficult-to-get powerups in the series, hidden deep in Kraid's lair.

My rant on 2D Metroid is that you have to hurry to get the good endings. Makes it hard to enjoy the game in itself IMO.

addamsfamily.png

Addams Family

Just writing the name makes the soundtrack play in my head.. this is a great little platformer from the Super Nintendo which I don't think many people know of. You control Gomez Addams, and the mission is simple: jump around the world past all the dangers and save your family. The game takes place in and around the Addams house. Get swords when you see them and jump on the bosses' heads.

mother.png

Mother

Genre: Turn-based RPG

The beginning of an awesome series, Mother is an urban RPG where you control Ninten in his quest to... I dunno if he really is on a quest, but he sure beats up a lot of animals, farmers, hippies, zombies, fantasy creatures, vehicles and aliens on the way. All through a splendidly wacky sort of storytelling with a nice degree of good plot behind it. This game is quite low on the list because the story is bad at (a few) times, random encounters are annoying and the gap in difficulty on enemies is too big between areas.

Fight the hippies and their Johnny B Good tunes!

metroidfusion.png

Metroid Fusion

The time gap between Metroid 3 and 4 was too long, and Fusion was released in the shadow of Metroid Prime. Still, it was a solid game. Here, Samus is infected by a devilish X-parasite which alters her body and requires part of her suit to be removed, thus taking away all her cool weapons. She has to start from scratch as she rids a space station of the same X-parasites.

The whole game happens in this space station so it has a different feel than playing in caverns and such, but it all works very nicely. The station is split in six sectors, each with it's own «natural» theme, including forest, water, ice, desert and lava, and dark caverns. Then there's the dangerous SAX (Samus Aran X) who follows you around the station. It's also the last point in the Metroid story yet.

This marks the end of the Very very good teir and the beginning of the Excellent teir

mortalkombat2.png

Mortal Kombat 2

My favourite in the main series, though I don't know why. MK2 has a lot more characters than the first, and the old guy Tsung from MK1 is now young and playable. The bad guy Shao himself is now the last opponent, and a big muscular monster is before him. The game plays very much like MK1, but the graphics are nicer, the controls are better, and it introduces characters like Kung Lao and Baraka. I love Baraka.

Hints for next batch:

99: Each world spawns one more white-head.

98: Toys fighting for 64.

97: Fury of the bubble dragons!

96: City/train simulator from a Danish toy company

95: SNES, Shredder is the bad guy after some time travel.

94: King Arthur meets Double Dragon.

93: The wake-uping.

92: An area in this game replaces lava with molten chocolate.

Can anyone dislike Baraka?

Edited by Santino

Only going for interesting ones (for instance, why bother guessing 98? Too obvious.)

97: Not enough to figure out which version you are talking about, so I am going to guess Puzzle Bobble for the PS1 (better known as bust-a-move).

95: Turtles in Time

94: Knights of the Round.

Edited by SeverIan

[spoiler=My Guesses]

#98: Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue

#97: Puzzle Bobble (AKA Bust-A-Move)

#96: Lego Loco

#95: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

#94: Knights of the Round

#93: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

I like the harder clues! :)

[spoiler=My Guesses]

#98: Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue

#97: Puzzle Bobble (AKA Bust-A-Move)

#96: Lego Loco

#95: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

#94: Knights of the Round

#93: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

I like the harder clues! :)

Me too as everyone guessed everything at first try earlier : P

I'm impressed about some guesses while some clues were too easy I think.

No one has any ideas for 99 yet?

When I wrote the hints I thought that was the easiest one : P

EDIT: New batch.

The list so far:

Good tier:

Very, very good tier:

108: The Legend of Zelda

107: Biker Mice from Mars

106: Geometry Wars

105: Paper Mario

104: Metroid: Zero Mission

103: The Addams Family

102: Mother

101: Metroid: Fusion

Excellent teir:

100: Mortal Kombat 2

Cash:

Dracohon: 155 + 35

Dio: 55 + 40

Mordecai: 20 + 10 (sorry, no points for Toy Story)

Severlan: 20

Integrity: 10

supermariobros.png

Super Mario Bros

The legendary platformer, one of the major steps making Mario (and video games) into what it is today. If this list was about the game most impressive for it's time, this would be among the top five. SMB is a light-hearted platformer with good, smooth controls that fit the environment well.

toystory2.png

Toy Story 2

Console: PC, Nintendo 64

Out of me and my friends who have played this game, I'm the only one who really liked it. And I think it's awesome. You control Buzz from the movie as he follows Woody through town. The game consists of levels with sorta Mario 64-ish missions, you find challenges around the level and complete them. There are levels like their house, neighbourhood, town, video game store, other houses etc. The fact that you are the size of a toy (because you ARE a toy) makes the simplest environments into something exciting. An underrated game I must say.

bubblebobble.png

Bubble Bobble

Genre: Bubble shooter? (My genre-ing really is bad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGWZlR3Kgr8

You guys guessed the right dragons, but wrong game : P I tried hinting more towards this than the other stuff. Bubble Bobble is a charming little game from the NES – best played on 2-player – where you control dragons who kill dangerous things by spitting bubbles at them. It all last through maybe a hundred stages, ending with the big boss. Some stages are simple as hell, some stages are cruel as hell and all are solid fun.

legoloco.png

Lego Loco

Genre: Town simulation

Somewhat like Sim City, only a hell of a lot better. I'm quite impressed at Dracohon for guessing it. This is a very simple game - you can build what you want and citizens come to your town by themselves, and there's no such thing as money. Combining certain things in certain ways reveals secrets.

tmnt4turtlesintime.png

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time

Genre: Double Dragon

I've never liked the Turtles much, and this is the only Turtles game I've enjoyed, but this is quite a good game. The turtles are lost in time and you go through several eras, beating up different sorts of ninjas along the way and meeting bosses from the series. Played best with friends and in one sitting (no saving IIRC so hard not to)

knightsoftheround.png

Knights of the Round

Genre: Double Dragon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ht8NETITQo&feature=related

Pretty similar to TMNT4, only with a King Arthur theme. I find it slightly better than TMNT4. Choose between Arthur, Lancelot and Percival (I prefer Percival) and go through all levels in one sitting.

zeldalinksawakening.png

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Console: Gameboy

Genre: Action RPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJi6gJ-ERaY&feature=PlayList&p=CDAA535D3826D72B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

At first glance I threw this game away because it disappointed me after A Link to the Past. I kept doing that for years until I finally played through it, and found it quite enjoying. LA is the first real «sidequest» Zelda game, which gives it a very nice, relaxing atmosphere where we get to think about other things than the everlasting fight against Ganon and saving Zelda. The game takes place on a strange island, which through the game feels more and more surreal, until you find out about its origins. The game gives a nice introduction to Marin and Tarin who stay there through the whole game, and also all the other characters who are rather wacky compared to the Zelda standard (or are they?)

supermarioworld.png

Super Mario World

The fourth super mario bros game, taking it all a step further and introducing stuff like yoshis and ghost houses. Some qualities with this is that you can move both back and fourth on the world map, some levels unlock things in other levels, and levels have different goals leading to different paths. And of course what happens when you complete the "Special" world. The bad thing is the soundtrack as most (maybe all) level themes are different mixes of the same tune :(

Hints for next batch:

91: Mickey through randomness for SNES and PS1

90: Second game increases difficulty and side-view considerably.

89: Later game goes to "2,5D"

88: You'll never have heard of this.. Guitar Hero-like for free, number 2

87: Replaying old games for the Advance

86: Robot football

85: My forefathers gone lost

84: In the first game the bosses were slightly larger than the protagonist. In this game they are huge.

Edited by Santino

88: You'll never have heard of this..

ORLY?

#91: Mickey Mania

#90: Ghouls 'n Ghosts

#89: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

#88: Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 2

So far I've got no clue for the other 4 :(

Update for the hint of 84: It's the third of its series.

I'm going to take a guess at this one and say it's Super Metroid.

Also, I'll take a guess at #87: Activision Anthology

Edited by Dracohon

The list so far:

Good tier:

Very, very good tier:

108: The Legend of Zelda

107: Biker Mice from Mars

106: Geometry Wars

105: Paper Mario

104: Metroid: Zero Mission

103: The Addams Family

102: Mother

101: Metroid: Fusion

Excellent teir:

100: Mortal Kombat 2

99: Super Mario Bros

98: Toy Story 2

97: Bubble Bobble

96: Lego Loco

95: TMNT 4: Turtles in Time

94: Knights of the Round

93: Zelda: Link's Awakening

92: Super Mario World

Cash:

Dracohon: 190 + 30

Dio: 95

Mordecai: 30

Severlan: 20

Integrity: 10

#91:

mickeymania.png

Mickey Mania

Console: SNES/PSX

Genre: Platformer

This game is really just a collection of random stages with content from Mickey's world, but it works simply because it's good. The dynamics are good, the setting is good, the music is good.

#90:

zeldaadventureoflink.png

Zelda 2: Adventure of Link

Genre: Platformer/RPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUMn163pehQ&feature=channel

The second game which changed everything, it has been both widely critisized and honored in the many years after it came. This game is mostly a side-view platformer, though it maintains the first game's kind of story, dungeon system etc while adding lots of new stuff. And the difficulty is higher than any other game in the series.

What I like about this game is the sense of accomplishment - it is very hard but the difficulty grows in a way which allows the player to steadily get better at controlling Link's moves and besting the hard enemies. Sadly this grows out of proportion in some late stages of the game, with areas where the air is filled with invisible monsters and a last dungeon which is just way too hard.

#89:

zeldaphantomhourglass.png

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Console: DS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWiGMWNwDfU&feature=PlayList&p=3201AA026F7B764D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Wind Waker's direct sequel, this game is probably one of the games best utilising the DS. Control Link and his boat with the stylus, moving it where you want him to walk and doing quick movements to make him hit with the sword. Some people love it and some hate it, I love it. After getting used to it feels very smooth.

The world is the "2,5D" part - it mostly resembles the 2D games but it is in 3D, at times resembling the big 3D games quite much. Travel across islands and the sea, through towns and dungeons and the main dungeon. Sidequests are many, and the main dungeon is great. If there's something bad to pick on, I'd say the parts betwwen dungeons are sometimes lacking, especially the many quite uninteresting towns.

#88:

supercrazyguitarmaniacdeluxe2.png

Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 2

Console: PC flash game

Genre: Guitar hero?

I'm amazed at you Draco for getting it :o I don't really like Guitar Hero, but I love this. Simple controls - letter buttons to hold and arrows to push - as you play through some quite good songs and mixes. It's hard at first but quickly learned, but it is also dangerously addictive. Includes mixes for F-Zero, Zelda and Mario. Just google it to find and play for free.

#87:

gameandwatchgalleryadvance.png

Game and Watch Gallery Advance

Genre: Minigame collection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ8HGZ7zOsY

A collection of Game & Watch's made interesting. For each game there's the classic mode (remake of the original game) and modern mode (modern graphics, twisted into the marioverse). Usually modern mode is the best. After getting lots of points you unlock more games, and then even more.

Fire and fire attack on modern are the best ones :)

#86:

magamanssoccer.png

Mega Man's Soccer

Genre: Football

Fifa? Meh. Football with the Mega Man people? Hell yeah! Simple fun where you build a team of megaman and bosses from the game and challenge your friends or a computer. There's also a "story mode". There's quite much tactics involved when forming the team.

#85:

lostvikings.png

Lost Vikings

Genre: Puzzle/Platformer

Three vikings find themselves lost and pursued by the evil sci-fi dude Tomator. Play through a world of surprisingly good puzzles, where you have to get all three vikings to the goal. They all have their unique abilities which are needed - Eric is fast and can jump high, Baleog is the fighter and Olaf has a shield and can fart.

Best game of Excellent teir:

#84:

supermetroid.png

Super Metroid

Genre: Platform/2D shooter/exploration

Maybe the most popular game in the series, Super Metroid is pretty much the original Metroid in an expanded and vey much improved version. The same bosses appear as well as many new ones, the same areas appear as well as many new ones. Exploring the caves of Zebes, aided by the nice graphics and awesome music, s a very forget-the-world-outside-ish experience. Lots of powerups, many chances for "sequence breaking".

Hints for next batch:

83: My forefathers gone lost again

82: Smooth, Wario!

81: Do squirrels have bad hair days?

80: Cowboys shooting each other, SNES (++)

79: Square field, 2-5 people with bombs.

78: 3D Worms for death.

77: Mickey goes for a SNES adventure.

I feel these hints are simple.