Transfer run ...

I'm planning on doing a transfer run (after my HM run) and I was wondering,

who I should use (and if it's possible to Boss abuse in any of the chapters >.>, then I can max out the laguzs)

the ones I'm 100% sure off

Ike

Jill

Zihark

Mist

Haar

Nephenee

Brom

Elincia

on normal mode (in general) do you have enough Bexp to max both Elincia and Sothe?

if so I'll add both (I love Elincia but she's unable to max all her stats in rd :S)

Elicia, like all staves users, can be fed unlimited experience via Ashnard : have him attack one of your units, then heal the damage taken.

Your team sounds good, but a bit small considering I had 15 units when I did this. You might want to add a few Paladins, maybe a Sniper, and Boyd and Marcia at least. Also train Brom in swords when he's promoted so that he gets a better weapon level. If he gets an S in FE 9, I believe it goes from E to B and a half in FE 10. He'll be able to use Lucia's Silver Sword in no time. I wouldn't suggest Laguz too much since their caps are ridiculously high.

You can definitely boss abuse throne/gate based bosses. My personal favorite are:

Kotaff from Chapter 9, which is gives good experience if you want to train Rolf. Otherwise you might ignore him.

Gashilama might be worth it if you want to train Astrid. Just put your units all around him so that he doesn't flee in the water.

Kimaarsi is alright, but you'll be missing on a Spear.

Ena is perfect for 2 range/healers. She also regens 10 HP per turn which is a lot. You may also want to use 1 range people against her, but she's fast and strong. Still not a bad idea to increase your weapon levels against her.

Petrine is great if you don't mind losing the Flame Lance.

Bertram is even better. Steal the weapon you want and abuse on him. Works similarly for both Hafedd and Heddwyn (except the latter is better for mages).

Finally, there's Ashnard. You don't get experience but fighting him (except staves), but you can still get weapon levels.

In normal mode I'd say getting 20 characters to 20/20 shouldn't be that hard, but pretty time consuming. I know if I abused Bertram back in the day, I could easily have gotten a few more people to 20/20.

Edited by Dio

You'll add to this list, right? Add at least Marcia, I'd add in Rolf. Rolf isn't so hard to train up. Probably Rhys too. His magic can be come incredibly high. And, I'm shocked at your lack of Soren on this list. Add him to it, and, if you can actually max them out, the laguz you want and you'll be awesome.

Elicia, like all staves users, can be fed unlimited experience via Ashnard : have him attack one of your units, then heal the damage taken.

Your team sounds good, but a bit small considering I had 15 units when I did this. You might want to add a few Paladins, maybe a Sniper, and Boyd and Marcia at least. Also train Brom in swords when he's promoted so that he gets a better weapon level. If he gets an S in FE 9, I believe it goes from E to B and a half in FE 10. He'll be able to use Lucia's Silver Sword in no time. I wouldn't suggest Laguz too much since their caps are ridiculously high.

You can definitely boss abuse throne/gate based bosses. My personal favorite are:

Kotaff from Chapter 9, which is gives good experience if you want to train Rolf. Otherwise you might ignore him.

Gashilama might be worth it if you want to train Astrid. Just put your units all around him so that he doesn't flee in the water.

Kimaarsi is alright, but you'll be missing on a Spear.

Ena is perfect for 2 range/healers. She also regens 10 HP per turn which is a lot. You may also want to use 1 range people against her, but she's fast and strong. Still not a bad idea to increase your weapon levels against her.

Petrine is great if you don't mind losing the Flame Lance.

Bertram is even better. Steal the weapon you want and abuse on him. Works similarly for both Hafedd and Heddwyn (except the latter is better for mages).

Finally, there's Ashnard. You don't get experience but fighting him (except staves), but you can still get weapon levels.

In normal mode I'd say getting 20 characters to 20/20 shouldn't be that hard, but pretty time consuming. I know if I abused Bertram back in the day, I could easily have gotten a few more people to 20/20.

thx for the abuse locations ;)

anyway I was wondering about it Bexp-wise, since I love training Elincia in FE:RD (but she's unable to get max stat in everything like I normally get) so I want to Bonus abuse her and Sothe, and boss abuse the rest :S

and yes, the list will grow, those were on the top of my mind, who needed specific stat boost in RD to shine(like haar), that were lord(like) characters (like Ike and Elincia) and the Dawn Brigade team (Jill and Zihark)

Edited by Mister Cold

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm concerned, and what I've heard from other people on this site, Jill just stinks... doesn't she? I didn't think a transfer would help her get out of that rut.

And the only thing Zihark needs help in is stregnth, right? So, couldn't you just save yourself the trouble and just give him a couple energy drops in RD instead of other characters?

thx for the abuse locations ;)

anyway I was wondering about it Bexp-wise, since I love training Elincia in FE:RD (but she's unable to get max stat in everything like I normally get) so I want to Bonus abuse her and Sothe, and boss abuse the rest :S

and yes, the list will grow, those were on the top of my mind, who needed specific stat boost in RD to shine(like haar), that were lord(like) characters (like Ike and Elincia) and the Dawn Brigade team (Jill and Zihark)

No problem.

Really, Elincia needs no BEXP with the method I mentionned above, unless you want to cap really specific stat. As for Sothe, never really gave him a chance, though you really should boost his defense at least. It's ok if he ends up with less strength, skill or speed than his RD counterpart since he grows well in all three.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm concerned, and what I've heard from other people on this site, Jill just stinks... doesn't she? I didn't think a transfer would help her get out of that rut.

And the only thing Zihark needs help in is stregnth, right? So, couldn't you just save yourself the trouble and just give him a couple energy drops in RD instead of other characters?

Jill could use a boost. Str and Speed makes her AS with a Steel Axe go from 11 to 15, which is very, very nice. If you can also manage to get Def she'll be easier to keep alive as an NPC. HP might be a bit too much to ask, though.

Zihark is at least pretty damn easy to cap some stats with (Str, Skl and Spd are all over 50% IIRC, without bands, and Defense isn't so bad with Soldier/Knight/Wyvern band on). It also makes him easier to give him bonus experience in FE 10 for what it's worth.

Edited by Dio

Who tells you Jill stinks? Maybe you think she does, but she's decent enough. Upper mid on the tier list. Around the middle of it, too.

However, with a +str/spd transfer?

13 str and 17 spd. In 1-6-1.

Giver her an axe forge (units you are using seriously really should have these types of things) and she has 26 mt. 22 mt with a Hand Axe. First off, she now doubles everything but 1 archer and the myrms. With 26 mt she's also ORKOing everything she doubles except the armors. More importantly, she is ORKOing pegs with a hand axe. Considering the number of them running around with javelins, that's pretty significant. The trend continues throughout part 1 as long as you are letting her have levels. With that speed of hers it's great.

And Jill can get to 15 str and now 3HKOs armors, still ORKOs the other things, and even starts ORKOing other things with the hand axe that aren't mages, priests and pegs.

Besides, Z will appreciate the +2 skl and spd from the transfer anyway, considering the fact he'll double cats even at base level, now. Also, the extra +4 hit with a wind edge can be good considering how bad his hit can be with that thing. Now, Jill's hit with the hand axe isn't really any better (it's worse, in fact. Without a transfer he has 115 hit to her 108 hit) but I'm not comparing them anymore. The +4 hit helps simply because it is better. Enemies have ~35 avo in 1-6-1, so 115 is 80 listed, or 92.2% true compared to 85 listed, or 95.65% true. Chance of missing at least once? ~15% vs. ~8.5% true. Getting that extra 2 skl cuts his chance of missing once nearly in half. And that's not considering what bio can do to it all.

Also, Zihark's 75% skill growth and 40% luck growth aren't helping much when you get like 5 exp a kill. Jill may only have a 45% skill growth (and 60% luck) but at least she has more exp.

Also, a "couple energy drops"? What the heck? You get 1 in 1-2, so I already worry about whether Jill or Zihark are even good candidates for it, and the others are in 2-E and 3-5. Zihark can't get his hands on them until part 4 (unless you break whatever hard-earned support he got in the DB and leave the DB minus one character and with another supportless). That's a long time of rotting in the convoy not being put to use against enemies.

I just finished my transfer run (normal mode, fixed growths), and the long-ass epilogue is playing right now...

Anyway, here's my team, and everyone capped skill.

1. Ike: HP, STR, DEF, SPD

2. Gatrie: HP, STR, DEF

3. Boyd: HP, STR, SPD

4. Nephenee: STR, SPD

5. Jill: STR, SPD, DEF (needed draco shield and speed wing)

6. Mia: STR, SPD, (needed energy drop)

7. Zihark: STR, SPD

8. Soren: MAG, RES, could have capped speed but was one point away

9. Marcia: Str, SPD

10. Elincia: MAG, SPD (needed secret book, and speed wing)

11. Rhys: MAG, RES

It took me 30 hrs, not counting about a dozen resets. It was hard as hell leveling up 10 people (Elincia is always easy), so I can't imagine 20! Then again, I didn't boss abuse, so that's why.

Edit: Woot! Boyd is #1 in kills again, followed by Jill, then Ike, then Neph, and then Mia. If I hadn't been saving my speed wings, Gatrie would have broken the top 5, but he was too slow otherwise. To the OP, I highly recommend Boyd for your team.

Edited by Adam Smasher

I just finished my transfer run (normal mode, fixed growths), and the long-ass epilogue is playing right now...

Anyway, here's my team, and everyone capped skill.

1. Ike: HP, STR, DEF, SPD

2. Gatrie: HP, STR, DEF

3. Boyd: HP, STR, SPD

4. Nephenee: STR, SPD

5. Jill: STR, SPD, DEF (needed draco shield and speed wing)

6. Mia: STR, SPD, (needed energy drop)

7. Zihark: STR, SPD

8. Soren: MAG, RES, could have capped speed but was one point away

9. Marcia: Str, SPD

10. Elincia: MAG, SPD (needed secret book, and speed wing)

11. Rhys: MAG, RES

It took me 30 hrs, not counting about a dozen resets. It was hard as hell leveling up 10 people (Elincia is always easy), so I can't imagine 20! Then again, I didn't boss abuse, so that's why.

Edit: Woot! Boyd is #1 in kills again, followed by Jill, then Ike, then Neph, and then Mia. If I hadn't been saving my speed wings, Gatrie would have broken the top 5, but he was too slow otherwise. To the OP, I highly recommend Boyd for your team.

Wow, Mia needed an energy drop? Too much iron sword or too much pounding on mage-like enemies?

And yeah, if you are willing to wing Boyd in RD he'll be quite good in RD after a few levels. 40 str and 34 spd for Endgame is nothing to laugh at. With ~4 more spd than his average it may actually be attainable, too. Of course, you are also making RD a lot easier by having such great transfers for Jill, Marcia, Neph, and Ike. I'd still recommend giving her one of the robes in RD, though. Now that she has great offence, may as well make her durable enough to be less restrained while utilizing it.

If you are going to abuse laguz you probably don't want to do it agianst bosses. You will want to BEXP level them in base to make sure they get really good stat upgrades each and every time they level. The only stat you can realistically cap most of the time is str. Because they get a bigger boost to that when they transform than they do to their other stats, laguz base str caps are fairly low (around 25-30 rather than in the mid or high 30s). I wouldn't recommend putting in the time.

There are a fairly small # of chapters with boss abuse, so you have to make use of it as much as possible while you can! AFAIK the only chapters you can boss abuse on are chapter 9, chapter 15, chapter 16, chapter 21, chapter 23, chapter 26, chapter 27, chapter 28 (I think?). Also, you won't be able to be sending guys to level 20 all the time in these situations because as they level up, they may get so strong that they will have a good chance to one-round the bosses. The best bosses for abusing against are Ena and Bertram. A lot of characters besides swordmasters and snipers can safely attack these guys with no fear of OHKO thanks to their good defense and HP scores.

Ena is the most durable abuseable boss in the game, because she has enough luck that most people are unable to crit her based on skill alone. She also regens twice each enemy phase which means this it is far less painful (against bertram it might take 4 or 5 rounds before it is safe to have someone attack him again). If you're serious about abusing you should try and get most of the characters you bring to her stage to level 20/20, so that you can bring another clump to the Bertram fight.

You should stock up on iron weapons early. They won't be purchaseable en-masse later, but they have the most uses and so are the best for bringing to a stage. You should also consider using your forge opportunity each turn on modified iron weapons with lower attack so that strong units can boost their EXP without damaging the bosses as much (meaning you take less time overall to level your guys). It will be a lot easier to level if the units you bring to ch 21 are fielding even 2 45/45 use iron weapons each.

You also might be able to abuse against the boss of 22 for a good while if you shove bishops with heal next to him or something like that.

Also, the boss in 23 might run out of weapon uses before she kills all the CRKs attacking her. If that happens you will have to surround the boss first so that the CRK's can't attack her while she is helpless (or just advance slowly so all the allied units die before they reach her). That could mean they steal the kill from you if they manage it. I've never waited it out on that chapter so I'm not sure.

I suggest bringing only 1 healer to any chapter with bosses on a regen tile. This is because they can easily be given levels towards endgame by using fortify (and hammerne it when it gets to 1 use). And ashera staff is 3 free levels for any healer.

You might want to consider removing skills like adept, astra etc from anyone who has them who you plan on leveling off a boss. They will make it easy to OHKO bosses and are unpredictable. And since you are abusing, you should be at such a high level that you easily plow through enemies anyway.

You can also try abusing off normal enemies. If you can manipulate enemy movements to pair a healer with a unit you can't one-round, you can spend several rounds waiting by the enemy w/ the allies you want to level standing around the enemy. Let the healer heal the dude during enemy phase, unequip if you need to, etc etc.

I don't think transfer runs are about saving anyone any trouble. I spent over 800 turns on the bertram chapter IIRC due to his low defense and regen rate.

Anyway, I don't think zihark is seeing that energy drop.

If you weren't boss abusing, why did it take so long? And why'd you do it on fixed mode? What's the point of resetting on a transfer run on fixed mode?

Edited by SeverIan

If you weren't boss abusing, why did it take so long? And why'd you do it on fixed mode? What's the point of resetting on a transfer run on fixed mode?

Check his topic. He was ticked about Boyd being stat screwed or something. Fixed mode you have more control without having to save level-ups for the base and resetting hundreds of times. Also, I'd assume the resets are for the stuff everyone resets about. Unit death or something like that. As for it taking "so long", my typical playthroughs are even longer since I spend a long time in each base trying to plan everything to bring and then spend a fair amount of time on each turn trying to make everything safe.

30 hrs is about as long as I've taken in all of my playthroughs. Maybe it was closer to 26-28, but I was rounding. I dunno, maybe you're better than I am? I played on fixed mode because I didn't want characters to get stat-screwed. I reset it because people kept dying. For instance, Zihark got critted in the final chapter. There's also Ch 8 I think where you need to defend for 8 rounds while killing the guy who has the soldier band. It took me 5 tries, but I think I wasted every unit on the map, which is pretty impressive (to me anyway) considering that Oscar rode the bench.

As for Narga's comments: Yeah, I forgot to switch her sword band for a ftr band around level 15. It's no big deal since the energy drop wouldn't have made a difference in any other character. I also should have done more for Soren's SPD.

Also, if I really had the patience, I could have made Mist cast physic over and over and over in the final chapter to max her out, but she would have gotten MAG, SPD, and maybe RES.