Oh my god awesome

Armored Core was here, Front Mission is a faggot.

8]

Front Mission mechs tend to look a bit ugly for me. Perhaps it's only the ones I've seen, but I love being able to make those stick figure mechs.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

8]

Front Mission mechs tend to look a bit ugly for me. Perhaps it's only the ones I've seen, but I love being able to make those stick figure mechs.

Yeah. Even the most badass wanzers tend to look sort of stale. Somewhat realistic, though.

I always wanted to try out that one Front Mission that had characters from all the games in it. Looked pretty neat.

Yeah. Even the most badass wanzers tend to look sort of stale. Somewhat realistic, though.

I always wanted to try out that one Front Mission that had characters from all the games in it. Looked pretty neat.

God now I want to go play FA and just make NEXTs for an hour or two.

Hmm, I believe you're talking about Front Mission 5: Scars of War because apparently the plot of that addresses story from the other four parts of the game. Not entirely sure, because I think most front mission games contain a few characters from each game and I'm not sure of any that contains a lot of characters from each game.

As far as Armored Core works, I love that series too, but I really like Front Mission's ridiculously detailed combat mechanics (if you're firing around a corner that's to your right, the weapon in your left hand will be more accurate than the weapon in your right). It's an SRPG and I love SRPGs, soooo...

'

In terms of actual mech designing, the two are more alike than different. The effects of the customization in combat are way different though, and I think having a heavier mech hurts your ability to dodge attacks a lot more in front mission (so that a high evade mech is probably a better tank than a high HP and armor mech).

Hmm, I believe you're talking about Front Mission 5: Scars of War because apparently the plot of that addresses story from the other four parts of the game. Not entirely sure, because I think most front mission games contain a few characters from each game and I'm not sure of any that contains a lot of characters from each game.

As far as Armored Core works, I love that series too, but I really like Front Mission's ridiculously detailed combat mechanics (if you're firing around a corner that's to your right, the weapon in your left hand will be more accurate than the weapon in your right). It's an SRPG and I love SRPGs, soooo...

'

In terms of actual mech designing, the two are more alike than different. The effects of the customization in combat are way different though, and I think having a heavier mech hurts your ability to dodge attacks a lot more in front mission (so that a high evade mech is probably a better tank than a high HP and armor mech).

I find in AC:FA at least that a Heavy mech is actually really crippled in its evasion. I'm not sure how much it is in FM, but when I compare my heavier mechs to my lighter ones, the difference in mobility is incredible. For example, one of my main light blading NEXTs in FA can launch itself a huge distance sideways in less than a second with a single Quick Boost, whereas one of my heavy tankish ones can't even move half it's body width sideways.

Of course, AC's evasion is largely based on the player's ability/reflexes, so that may play a role in that as well. A good player with a moderately evasive NEXT can evade the majority of an enemy's fire.

I find in AC:FA at least that a Heavy mech is actually really crippled in its evasion. I'm not sure how much it is in FM, but when I compare my heavier mechs to my lighter ones, the difference in mobility is incredible. For example, one of my main light blading NEXTs in FA can launch itself a huge distance sideways in less than a second with a single Quick Boost, whereas one of my heavy tankish ones can't even move half it's body width sideways.

I should clarify I've (mostly) only played single player, and the last armored core game I played was Armored Core 2: Another Age. I haven't kept up after that except for playing friends' copies occasionally.

I guess I would say that in single player, edging around walls and the like works so well for most maps not against another Raven that durability isn't a big issue a lot of the time. Generally my mechs for the "slew through normal enemy" missions are different from the "kill enemy raven" maps. There are certainly a fair number of 'bigass open areas with lots of guys trying to fuck with you' in Armored Core 2 as well, but I found that as long as you move around the map a lot you usually don't have to deal with too many at a time, so a mech without that much speed can still do fine in those situations.

Anyway, I guess it actually makes a lot of sense when I think of it that way, but somehow evasion seems so much more imbalanced in games like front mission and fire emblem (when it works) because you see stuff like enemies missing attacks one after the other with no actual dexterity required on the player's part (actually, the way the evasion stat works in Front Mission is that it's all-or-nothing; either you dodge everything, or attacks hit/miss based on the raw accuracy of the opponent and the cover between you and them, IIRC).

God now I want to go play FA and just make NEXTs for an hour or two.

So do I, but I don't have the space to install it to my hard drive, and I'm not going to go through forty-second load every time I examine a schematic.

I remember it being sort of like a Smash Bros. version of the titles. Not in terms of a fighter, but in terms of being a gigantic mash-up of characters from other titles.

Then again, I don't remember it very well anyways.

I find the series okay, but that's probably because I'm a huge fan of more stylish combat. The battles tend to make imagining awesomeness difficult (at least in the later titles, earlier ones were pretty neat-looking), and the characters and plot tend to feel very by-the-books most of the time. Especially 4.

I will say that Front Mission 3 is to this day one of the most enchanting titles I have ever played, and a shining example of SRPGs. I just wish its predecessor would have been as enjoyable.

This depends on which Armored Core we're talking about. Heavier mechs have been getting the shaft gradually as the series has gone on. Though I guess the heat issue being removed from the fourth title on sort of helped to off-set the problem.

Of course, AC's evasion is largely based on the player's ability/reflexes, so that may play a role in that as well. A good player with a moderately evasive NEXT can evade the majority of an enemy's fire.

Which leads me to my next point; AC4 and FA revolve way more around the player's ability and not the mechs, at least when it comes to avoiding damage. Even the top-heaviest NEXTs can't take sustained fire from well-equipped fire for long. This is kind of evident given that perma-flight in any given mech is ridiculously easy to make, where as in older titles it was incredibly difficult to properly put together.

I should clarify I've (mostly) only played single player, and the last armored core game I played was Armored Core 2: Another Age. I haven't kept up after that except for playing friends' copies occasionally.

I guess I would say that in single player, edging around walls and the like works so well for most maps not against another Raven that durability isn't a big issue a lot of the time. Generally my mechs for the "slew through normal enemy" missions are different from the "kill enemy raven" maps. There are certainly a fair number of 'bigass open areas with lots of guys trying to fuck with you' in Armored Core 2 as well, but I found that as long as you move around the map a lot you usually don't have to deal with too many at a time, so a mech without that much speed can still do fine in those situations.

It won't work against a player; a moderately well-tuned NEXT'll run circles around a slower one, at least from what I've played against most of my pals. If one of their bigass mechs fails to keep me away with heavy sniper cannon-fire and missiles, it's hard for them to turn quick enough to keep up, and I can eventually close in on them at an angle they can't return fire at.

Before, if something like that occurred, you could just Overboost away and always re-orient yourself. But these days you can put together a perma-Overboost model and just ride right behind them, firing all the way, without severe danger of being left energy-less.

Anyway, I guess it actually makes a lot of sense when I think of it that way, but somehow evasion seems so much more imbalanced in games like front mission and fire emblem (when it works) because you see stuff like enemies missing attacks one after the other with no actual dexterity required on the player's part (actually, the way the evasion stat works in Front Mission is that it's all-or-nothing; either you dodge everything, or attacks hit/miss based on the raw accuracy of the opponent and the cover between you and them, IIRC).

Yeah. One of the reasons I loved the Gust models in 4. Jumping around everywhere with others struggling to hit you. >__>

Edited by Esau of Isaac

I find the series okay, but that's probably because I'm a huge fan of more stylish combat. The battles tend to make imagining awesomeness difficult (at least in the later titles, earlier ones were pretty neat-looking), and the characters and plot tend to feel very by-the-books most of the time. Especially 4.

Well ya I'll agree with that, Front Mission 4's story is (to me) pretty much the definition of solid plot with no frills whatsoever. It's one of those "gives you some motivation to keep playing without really grabbing your attention" games.

I will say that Front Mission 3 is to this day one of the most enchanting titles I have ever played, and a shining example of SRPGs. I just wish its predecessor would have been as enjoyable.

I have FM3 but haven't gotten to play it yet, don't have a PS1 at college. May not get to over the summer since I won't be working in my hometown.

Well ya I'll agree with that, Front Mission 4's story is (to me) pretty much the definition of solid plot with no frills whatsoever. It's one of those "gives you some motivation to keep playing without really grabbing your attention" games.

Exactly. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but it's difficult as hell. I have to spend hours in the simulators just to try and pass a level later on.

I have FM3 but haven't gotten to play it yet, don't have a PS1 at college. May not get to over the summer since I won't be working in my hometown.

Well you need to try it. It's badass. You can get your pilots to leave their wanzers and hack others' to steal them. The story's better, and the characters are more colorful. It's an amazing mech game.

Edit: In fact, I'm going to go start a new game on it right now.

Edited by Esau of Isaac