Hacking sound/music files?

Barill

i know you can grab sprites out of the roms and make them different...

but is there a way to take the music and make it different? i want to use the same midi files so it sounds the same (like the same instrument sounds) but for it to be different music

we are making a crossover game with another game... and want it to feel Fire Emblem-y but with characters from the other game, we are using Fire Emblem SS

i've searched a lot for an answer... maybe i've been looking for the wrong thing? any help would be appreciated!

(best case scenario: i get a DL link for the midis and a midi sequencer that is compatible, but that is wishful thinking... >_>)

also, reading through other posts on here is really helpful, we are pretty much completely helpless on this, and are learning as we go, all we have is an experienced sprite maker and effort

It's kind of hard to follow you, but you want to use music from other games, but make it sound like a Fire Emblem song with the instruments?

You can do that by inserting a song and using the instruments that are already in FE7. Sappy 2005 might work for you but then again it might not. You'll also need to edit the instruments which there isn't a program to do (so you'll have to do it in hex).

This and thismight help you.

ahh, yes, this helps, thanks

and i know i am hard to follow.... i actually didn't know what i was looking for myself, but this is helpful

all i do is open a midi file (with NDS Sound Extractor) to extract the midi instruments, and then use them on anvil studios? (so i can make my own arrangements)

Uh, ndssndext is for ripping MIDI files from SDAT files. SDAT files are the format for NDS music.

In other words, the program is used to rip music from Nintendo DS games. ._.

To edit the instruments in a MIDI, you use Anvil Studio. But FE7 has special instruments so you'd need to hack the music to make it use those special instruments. But doing this is kind of difficult so it'll be difficult to help you without taking hours of my time up writing a tutorial or helping you 1-v-1.

As you can see, it's a kind of difficult thing. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it's gonna be hard trying to do it on your own or getting help doing it.

i think i have the tones from the game, using some program called GBA2MIDI

i started the program, and directed it to the fe8 rom

it gave me a ton of wav files, each are about 1 second long

they seem like they could be the tones from the game...

can i import each tone as an instrument in Anvil Studio? or are wav files the wrong format? or would you need to see the files to know?

also, thank you so much for the help so far (:

it is also kind of weird, that GBA2MIDI program game me notepad files that had stuff like this on it

Inst Header: 223160h

Pan:8/15(near equal 4 in SMF) Pitch:-4

"tones" is a word I'm not too familiar with... I can't be sure of what you're talking about but from what you said you probably have the instrument samples, i.e. the sounds of the instruments in WAV format. Idk if you got any MIDIs but if so that'd be the songs of the game in MIDI format (with standard computer instruments though, not the actual instruments used in-game).

Idk if you can import instruments into Anvil Studio so I can't help you there, and I'm not sure what else you might be trying to do, so... :\

oh, haha, i looked thought the help on anvil studio and there is a guide on how to import wav files

so hopefully i can figure is out >_>

"add sound"... hopefully i can change the pitch

nope, crashes every time in import... of well

Edited by Barill