Grandjackal's SF:RotDD Playthrough Log!

grandjackal

It's starting to become a hobby with me.

Anyways, gonna do an RotDD run (Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon). Main differences of this game from something like SF2 is that levels are not as static (SF2, a blessing is a point extra, a blessing in this game is like getting a 7 in a stat in one level compared to a 3), though they still keep to a pattern statistically, just the levels are far more wild in that sense. Another thing is Agility and Turncount. The game will actually keep turncount (it even tells you what turn it is each turn), and Agility is static, meaning that if you are the fastest unit on the map, you will ALWAYS go first every turn rather than just "more likely". This is immensely better, as now Agility has an actual benefit now.

Moving on.

Some tips before the first battles.

-Talk to Gort at the bar in Guardiana before you leave. This way, you can get him later.

-Retreat before you start the first battle. Visit the nearby cabin, there is Gong. This guy is the king of rock earlygame.

Battle 1: At the Gates.

You could just dic around and still get out of this battle virtually unscathed. This map was a bit harder in the original as the enemies were a slight bit buffer, but on the other hand SF1 had faulty systems of evasion/double/critical things in comparison, but even with all that considered that's like saying it's hard to sit. It's simply funny and false.

Enemies near the Rune Knight are a bit stronger than the cannon fodder that tries to block you, but you still steamroll them.

Didn't get the Rune Knight Card (which is useless anyways), but I did get the Bronze Lance for Ken, now meaning he's fully equipped for battle 2.

Turncount: 4, 250 Gold Bonus

Levels

Max (1.93) |14 HP|10MP|12ATK|7Def|5Spd
Ken (2.14) |10HP|14ATK|7Def|6Spd
Tao (1.85) |11HP|7MP|8ATK|4Def|6Spd
Hans (1.38) |13HP|14ATK|4Def|6Spd
Luke (2.17) |12HP|15ATK|8Def|5Spd
Lowe (1.30) |11HP|13MP|10ATK|4Def|6Spd
Gong (1.50) |11HP|9MP|12ATK|4Def|6Spd

Ken got the boss kill due to a lucky Double. Had he not, Tao would have gotten the kill systematically.

Luke got a level due to countering a goblin and double-killing another.

Gong is a king, but he didn't get the level on the basis that he always went first so he wasn't able to kill anything on the basis that they were mopped up. Regardless, there's no real reason to use him later, as he can be replaced with others.

Hans early on HURTS. Its far different form his former counterpart (like Gong), where he did meh damage. Even more, him having speed is actually good rather than pointless. He still is dependent on his weapons to do damage, but he's still good.

Everyone else did fine. Really, this map you can't suck.

Battle 2: After the Quake

The general strategy can be summed up like this.

Have Gong run forward and draw in enemies, tanking.

Mop up.

Heal Gong with Lowe.

Repeat 'til map is done.

Once you pass the cliffs though, Gong might need to heal himself rather than Lowe, but that's what he has the Heal spell for.

Ken's sort of screwed here, as his movetype is disadvantageous at the start, as is Tao's, but Tao has a better starting position so she can at least Blaze some Goblins. Ken on the other hand has tough luck. Well, at least until he gets past the cliffs. Once he's over that, he catches right up quickly.

Thr turn count for the bonus is 12, and due to the nature of the map you probably won't do faster than 11 turns. There's so much terrain that I'd be surprised if it could be done in 10. I didn't manage 11 due to a speed-up level that sort of messed up my movement in the mountains, but regardless I managed.

Turncount: 12, 11 is possible with no Agi level ups. Demibuster Sword Bonus

Levels

Max (3.45) 15HP|10MP|15ATK|9Def|8Spd|8%Res Short Sword, Steel Ring
Ken (3.02) 12HP|14ATK|7Def|7Spd Javelin, Bronze Lance Side Arm
Tao (2.87) 11HP|10MP|9ATK|4Def|7Spd|22%Res Wooden Staff
Hans (2.70) 13HP|14ATK|4Def|7Agi Wooden Arrow
Luke (3.45) 13HP|18ATK|8Def|6Spd Hand Axe
Lowe (1.78) 11HP|13MP|10ATK|4Def|6Spd|15%Res Wooden Staff
Gong (2.90) 12HP|9MP|13ATK|6Def|7Spd|6%Res Nothing
Mae (2.0 Base) 11HP|14ATK|7Def|8Spd Bronze Lance, Javelin Side Arm
Gort (2.0 Base) 12HP|15ATK|10Def|5Spd Hand Axe

I forgot to mention a couple things.

-ATK is based on Str+Weapon Might, so the ATK fluctuating might seem a bit off. See Ken and Mae. They have the same attack, yet Mae is equipped with a stronger weapon. In reality, Ken is stronger. Normally though, Mae is supposed to be tougher, but I guess I have a blessed Ken, or the level lead means something.

-Magic Resistance exists in this game as well, but it works differently from FE. It takes a percentage off rather than statistical damage, as all magic does set damage, meaning it will do the same damage each time depending on what spell you are using. For example, Gong there has 22% Res. Let's say a spell did 10 set damage. This means he takes only 8 damage, 7 damage 20% of the time. Not that it really makes a difference at this point in time, there is no magic with the enemy currently.

-Those of you unfamiliar with the series, accessories are equipable in this game as well, such as the Steel Ring that Max has, giving him +1 Def. I figured now that I remembered to add in people's equipment. Really, there's no reason to take it off Max until something better comes in.

So there you have it. It's a start.

Edited by Master Tang

so you say this game is a re-make of the first shining force?

Yes it is, and there are some differences between it and hte former. To list a few...

-Enemies start a bit weaker now, but not all. Along with that, some more enemies have been added, and there are indirect changes. Example being the quarry, where the Dark Elves on the upper right ridge now have boosted evasion and there are now 5 of them, now making them an actual threat to the birdmen rather than being easy pickings.

-New weapons, such as the Steel Arrow, allowing Hans to suck far less. Still not fantastic, but at least he isn't utterly pointless now.

-Speaking of Hans, stat base and growth redistribution. Hans is actually pretty awesome at first, despite being made of paper.

-New accessories, such as the Rousing Ring, which can help make those damned Giant Bats far less of a nuisance.

-Map edits. Example, the second battle. Now, you can no longer just shoot at the rune knights from over the river, the river's too thick.

-More story points from the Japanese versiona ctually made it into the game this time, as a lot was axed out from the original games. Frankly, I think this was a bad thing, as it turns out the real story is titanically stupid when it reveals enough about our main hero...

-New characters, all 3 of which are OP, and one utterly destroys the game. I will not be using any of them, as I despise all 3 of them.

-Actual character development. While it's not ont he level of FE character depth, it can at least make the characters charming. Mae has a pretty cool story, but Arthur's not deep, but he still has charm as well. Did you know he's a big fan of trivia?

Things like that.

Well for some reason the game claimed it had lost my game, even though I have reloaded a couple times to check stats. I hope I'm not working with a game that has a faulty save-battery. This game is not Pokemon GS old, it shouldn't be suffering this problem.

Levels will most certainly look different.

Do make note to get Gort (as much as he sucks), and to equip your centaurs with their side arms, so they have good melee but still have range. Also, don't forget to nab the treasures in the treasure room after the story events.

Battle 3: To Alterone

I equipped Mae with the Rousing Ring, as to help her tank bats (it'll be especially helpful she has it in the next battle). Max gets the ever-handy Demibuster.

This battle is a pain, having to charge through many dark dwarves, run by giant bats with their raised evasion and sleeping attack only to run into a handful of deadly rune knights that can tear your team apart quite easily, since it doesn't take many to kill someone, and there's a grand total of 5 of these high move monsters. I'm also convinced Rune Knights have higher chances of countering, which makes things a bit more painful. Bring your ranged units.

Short map, but Runefaust REALLY doesn't want you to reach Alterone. Just rush through, heal when you need to, you should get there in time. If you feel you might lose too many, have Max run to the city itself, you can end the battle early that way. Do remember a smart formation for the final fight here, it's troublesome.

Turncount: 9, 400 Gold Bonus

Levels

Max (5.40) 16HP|12MP|22ATK|14Def|13Agi|11%Res Demibuster, Steel Ring
Ken (3.40) 14HP|15ATK|7Def|7Agi Spear, Bronze Lance Side Arm
Tao (4.26) 11HP|20MP|9ATK|4Def|9Agi|33%Res Wooden Staff, Blaze 2
Hans (3.65) 16HP|15ATK|4Def|9Agi Wooden Arrow
Luke (5.33) 18HP|20ATK|11Def|7Agi Hand Axe
Lowe (2.46) 11HP|15MP|11ATK|4Def|6Agi|17%Res Wooden Staff Heal 1
Gong (3.14) 12HP|10MP|15ATK|8Def|9Agi|6%Res Nothing, Heal 1
Gort (2.99) 13HP|16ATK|10Def|5Agi Hand Axe
Mae (3.59) 12HP|13ATK|8Def|9Agi Spear, Rousing Ring, Bronze Lance Side Arm

You would be surprised what altering bases can do, specifically with agility. Thus, my radically different levels.

Accidentally forgot to get Gong before the start of the first battle.

Gort sucks. He'snot much stronger than most of your team, and while he might be tougher? He's slow as sin. He's the last to move, and constantly unable to do something because everything's already done by then.

Everyone else rocked, and Tao has Blaze 2. This will help greatly next battle.

Tips before next battle: Scour the town before you decide to buy or sell things. You can find two middle swords for free in treasure around town for your warriors, which can make the difference between an OHKO and a 2HKO, saving you money on having to buy them Demibuster for what is soon to be a useless damage bonus.

Battle 4: The Battle of Alterone

Split up your team, it's faster to do this on two fronts. Sent Ken, Tao, Lowe and Gort to the right, sent the rest up north.

Had Mae lure in the bats with her Rousing Ring keeping her awake. They do a pathetic 1 damage to her, and she has an accurate counter with throwing spears. That alone makes me feel she's amazing here, because those bats are ANNOYING.

The right side has to deal with a bunch of bunched up dwarves and a sniper, and this is where Tao's Blaze 2 comes in handy. It can nab her plenty of exp without having to kill, and chips many targets for huge damage. She is a VIP here as well.

It's an easy chapter, but people are bound to die thanks to the mage. Having under 10 HP is a death sentence walking near him, but it's seriously no huge loss. It doesn't make things any harder and I can just revive them next battle. It could even draw him out of hiding if you attack the left side rune knight, making him easier to kill.

So many units could OHKO those bats...lol

Simple.

Turncount: 9, can be done in 8, Jagged Flash Bonus

Casualties: Mae to the mage, Gong to an unlucky Sniper crit.

I will not be recording the Narsha segments, because I seriously don't care. I'll save you worry, I did it in 8 turns, all treasures achieved, Narsha's level 2.

Levels

Max (6.44) 20HP|12MP|23ATK15Def|13Agi|13%Res Demibuster, Stee Ring
Ken (4.16) 15HP|18ATK|8Def|7Agi Bronze Lance, Spear side
Tao (4.77) 11HP|20MP|17ATK|4Def|9Agi Power Staff, Blaze 2
Hans (3.93) 16HP|15ATK|4Def|9Agi Wooden Arrow
Luke (6.45) 22HP|21ATK|13Def|7Agi Jagged Flash
Lowe (3.49) 13HP|18MP|20ATK|6Def|6Agi|18% Res Power Staff, Heal 1
Gong (3.96) 12HP|10MP|15ATK|8Def|9Agi|6%Res Nothing, Heal 1
Gort (3.89) 13HP|18ATK|13Def|5Agi Middle Sword
Mae (4.64) 13HP|17ATK|9Def|9Agi Bronze Lance, Rousing Ring, Spear side
Khris (2.35) 11HP|11MP|19ATK|6Def|9Agi Power Staff, Speed Ring, Heal 1

Khris takes precedence for the speed ring over Gort because her healing is more important, and her gaining levels is quite important for healing later.

Hans's mysteriously lower move sort of bit him in the ass here, as if he had a normal 6 move, he'd have participated more. Not that I really plan to use him.

Mae kicks ass.

And thus ends Chapter 1...

Edited by Master Tang

So I had to restart AGAIN, since something turns out to be wrong with my File 1. File 2 however seems to work perfectly fine. I have no idea why this is. Perhaps File 1 is just corrupted.

Battle 5: Manarina Desert

It's like Khadien, only far more annoying.

18 turn limit seems generous, unless you get caught up at the bridge, which case it's a photo finish. The bridge you ask? It's a little tiny bridge across a river with only one pathway and exits out only 2 directions so you're bound to get jammed. Bigger issue however is that there are dark dwarves blocking it, with giant bat reinforcements. Mae slipping in to attack directly with backup from speedy Hans and whoever else to slip in after one of the dwarves are dead (as to deny them from further blocking you, letting more units march through towards the desert), you should be fine. However, some speed screwage could possibly fuck you over.

Next is the "checkpoint" as I like to call it, two archers and a mage. The archers are capable of pinching you pretty hard, and hte mage laying the smackdown of 10 damage is not pretty. However, they're quite spaced out. Divide and conquer, as they say.

Then finally, the zombie barricade. *Has vietnam flashbacks to the old SF1 game* Buhh...Thankfully, it got changed up a bit here. The zombies are a bit more spaced out, but if you're going fast you're still putting yourself at risk of eating two zombie swipes, which is bad enough since zombies hurt like hell. Furthermore, they are incredibly tough. Most of your non warriors/Max/Tao are going to have a hard time hurting them (and Max can't risk it, as they tear his ass up, so he can't overexpose himself due to him dying=game over, Tao's move is so lousy in the desert she might not even get the chance). You got to draw them out by as many as you can without pulling all 4 of them in at once, along with not alerting hte mages to come burn you alive. With some teamwork though, you can return those zombies back to where they came from.

This is one of those maps that was changed to be easier than it's old version, but that's a good thing as the old version was unfair with this map. Thing is, the mages here are a bit spaced away. In the old game, they were stacked up against the zombies that instead of being a bit spread out basically formed a wall for them. To draw them out, not only did you most likely wind up with two zombies swiping at you (if you could even survive that, as they hit harder back then), not only did you run hte risk for poison damage (they still do, but it's worse back then), the mages would always be in range as well to smack you with a Blaze 2, ensuring that whoever stuck their nose out was going to DIE.

This version though, it's probably Gong's finest hour. Not only is he tough enough to bring in zombies, he can move forward, heal himself, and do it again while your guys take care of the first set, and then the next is right there for you without having to pick them off one by one. It also helps that he has some o the best move in the desert compared to your team.

Thanks Gong. You're awesome.

Turncount: 16, Doll Hater Bonus

Levels

Max (6.81) 17HP|11MP|23ATK|16Def|13Agi|11%Res Demibuster, Steel Ring
Ken (4.98) 16HP|15ATK|8Def|7Agi Spear, Bronze Lance side arm
Tao (5.25) 12HP|23MP|18ATK|6Def|10Agi|30%Res Power Staff, Blaze 2
Hans (6.74) 15HP|16ATK|6Def|15Agi Wooden Arrow
Luke (6.72) 18HP|23ATK|12Def|7Agi Middle Axe
Lowe (4.95) 13HP|21MP|20ATK|5Def|6Agi|21%Res Power Staff, Heal 1, Detox
Gong (6.17) 16HP|11MP|19ATK|14Def|13Agi|10%Res Unarmed, Heal 1
Gort (4.69) 14HP|19ATK|14Def|6Agi Jagged Flash
Mae (4.62) 13HP|16ATK|9Def|9Agi Bronze Lance, Rousing Ring, Spear side arm
Khris (3.44) 12HP|14MP|21ATK|7Def|9Agi|20%Res Doll Hater, Speed Ring

Remembered to get Gong before battle 1 this time.

You can see how levels can fluctuate, and it's due to timing more than favoring. However, Im getting a pretty decent Hans so I might keep him. He only seems like he sucks because he's still stuck with his shitty starting weapon while everyone else has better stuff. He'll get his Steel Arrow soon enough, and frankly you don't get units that can replace anyone until after this whole chapter is finished, so might as well use him. Not like he's currently god awful.

Got lucky in battle 2 when a dark dwarf dropped a Middle Axe, thus why Luke has such mind numbing ATK. He's had the highest in the group because of it, and as you can see he's only tied. Giving him the Jagged Flash would have actually weakened him, thus why I gave it to Gort (there were bats near the desert's start, he's a slow bastard so it's not like he has anything better to do).

Khris loves the Speed Ring, because it lets her keep up with the team while healing damage at a more appropriate time. This helps, as she has a reason to be trained up normally, as she will be a better healer than Lowe or Gong later on, when both have lost their meaning. However, if they get their healing upgrades sooner, this will actually reflect somewhat badly on Khris, since Aura later (when you get Torasu) probably isn't as huge as getting Heal 2 sooner.

Everyone else isn't surprpising aside from Hans, who's actually growing ATK. Not much, but it's better than his usual none.