Games Consoles Tier List

Raven

You're short like forty titles. And the funny thing is that some of those weren't even released outside of Japan. Let's list them:

Art of Fighting

Clock Tower

All six Dragon Quests

Dynamite Headdy was never released on the SNES anywhere

Might and Magic 2

Parodius

Super Bomberman 4-5

Tactics Ogre

If I'd known we could use Japanese-only titles, along with ports of older games, fuck, the PS2's list would be twice as big. The number of collections it has is fucking unbelievable. There are also some that you put on there that are almost universally hated. Like, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest? Square is still mocked for that game's existence. Lord of the Rings? Fucking SHAQ-FU. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO PAD THIS LIST

I know your point. I'm debating against it.

Oh you!

And Shaq Fu was fun, bitch! Nothing better than a god damn Shaq-Uriken from god damn Shaq himself.

Anywho, I'll take quality over quantity. Sure, PS2 has some great games on there, and many many more, but quality is the important part. SNES just had more quality back in the day compared to the PS2. I mean, that generation basically shot me into teh whole trade in business, unlike the SNES which was absolute guaranteed sextastic fun since a much higher percentage of the games were orgasmically fun. I know you like the PS2 better, I do too, but SNES was simply more amazing overall. Every person I've asked who grew up with both has said SNES > PS2. I know that ain't undeniable proof, but it's a damn good indicator of something beyond bias.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you!

And Shaq Fu was fun, bitch! Nothing better than a god damn Shaq-Uriken from god damn Shaq himself.

Yeah, this totally doesn't damage your credibility.

Anywho, I'll take quality over quantity. Sure, PS2 has some great games on there, and many many more, but quality is the important part. SNES just had more quality back in the day compared to the PS2. I mean, that generation basically shot me into teh whole trade in business, unlike the SNES which was absolute guaranteed sextastic fun since a much higher percentage of the games were orgasmically fun. I know you like the PS2 better, I do too, but SNES was simply more amazing overall. Every person I've asked who grew up with both has said SNES > PS2. I know that ain't undeniable proof, but it's a damn good indicator of something beyond bias.

Because they grew up with the fucking thing. They're predisposed to liking it more. And I disagree. I think that as time goes on there has been a much more higher attention paid to games in general, and that quality is required far moreso than beforehand. I highly doubt that a larger percentage of the titles were of high quality.

I don't think the SNES was more amazing. I think it was a great console, probably better than the Genesis despite all the time I spent with it, but I don't find it the best console ever made.

Yeah, this totally doesn't damage your credibility.

Because they grew up with the fucking thing. They're predisposed to liking it more. And I disagree. I think that as time goes on there has been a much more higher attention paid to games in general, and that quality is required far moreso than beforehand. I highly doubt that a larger percentage of the titles were of high quality.

I don't think the SNES was more amazing. I think it was a great console, probably better than the Genesis despite all the time I spent with it, but I don't find it the best console ever made.

And you've only liked the best games ever, m i rite? Not a single guilty pleasure? Oh wait, you posted all Dead or Alive games, THERE GOES UR CREDABILUHTEA (First few were good, the rest SUCK)!

They all grew up with far beyond the SNES, sir. Granted, I didn't tell you that, so I won't hold it against you.

I never said it was the best, just that it was better than the PS2 overall. Best console? Meh, I can't pinpoint one, they've all got games I would fap to. I'm not 'educated' enough to make the call. Yall can pretend, but I won't.

Edited by SlaveBlade

And you've only liked the best games ever, m i rite? Not a single guilty pleasure?

Nothing half as bad as Shaq-fu.

Oh wait, you posted all Dead or Alive games, THERE GOES UR CREDABILUHTEA (First few were good, the rest SUCK)!

I posted Dead or Alive 2, not all of them. And if the first few were good, then you agree that it was good. But then, you shouldn't be saying "rest" in such a case, as there's only one other title, DoA 4.

I never said it was the best, just that it was better than the PS2 overall. Best console? Meh, I can't pinpoint one, they've all got games I would fap to. I'm not 'educated' enough to make the call. Yall can pretend, but I won't.

I know for a fact that you're wrong, because you like Shaq-Fu. Finding that game agreeable to your sensibilities is similar to admitting to being fond of child rape. But child rape isn't as bad.

Nothing half as bad as Shaq-fu.

I posted Dead or Alive 2, not all of them. And if the first few were good, then you agree that it was good. But then, you shouldn't be saying "rest" in such a case, as there's only one other title, DoA 4.

I know for a fact that you're wrong, because you like Shaq-Fu. Finding that game agreeable to your sensibilities is similar to admitting to being fond of child rape. But child rape isn't as bad.

Don't knock SF till you try it, yo.

Well I glanced the list over. I know, I know, I made a mistake online. Teehee.

Really? Really? You compared someone's opinion on what they like in a game to child rape? Really? Really? REALLY???

Just wanted to point this out.

Forgot a bunch of games that the Wii doesn't have.

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2

Mass Effect 1 & 2

Fallout 3

Uncharted 1 & 2

Call of Duty (like all of them)

Is FE10 really so good that the Wii is a tier over the Xbox 360? Because I smell Nintendo fanboyism.

Is Uncharted 1 & 2 so good that they can make the 360 better than the Wii despite being PS3 games? :P

Don't knock SF till you try it, yo.

I did try it.

Well I glanced the list over. I know, I know, I made a mistake online. Teehee.

You made a pretty big mistake. Did you really think that all of the DoA games were on the PS2 or something? Because that kind of undermines your credibility.

Really? Really? You compared someone's opinion on what they like in a game to child rape? Really? Really? REALLY???

Yeah, I know. Child rape isn't a serious enough crime to compare to Shaq-fu. Maybe genocide would do it?

I did try it.

You made a pretty big mistake. Did you really think that all of the DoA games were on the PS2 or something? Because that kind of undermines your credibility.

Yeah, I know. Child rape isn't a serious enough crime to compare to Shaq-fu. Maybe genocide would do it?

Try it again, and again, and again until you realize you've wasted your time on it.

I though DoA 3 was on it too, heaven forbid, I never bought the obvious fanservice games.... <_<

:newyears: Ololololol, we have a winner. :newyears:

Is Uncharted 1 & 2 so good that they can make the 360 better than the Wii despite being PS3 games? :P

My bad. Thought they came out on both PS3 and Xbox 360. :facepalm:

Try it again, and again, and again until you realize you've wasted your time on it.

That happened the first time.

I though DoA 3 was on it too, heaven forbid, I never bought the obvious fanservice games.... <_<

Even if DoA 3 were on it, it would still pretty much invalidate your rebuttal, as it would be within the number of the games you found good. And I'm starting to think you haven't played them, if the reason you find them bad is because they're "obvious fanservice games". They are, but then that's not a reason to despise it in the first place. For the record, they also have some of the slickest fighting systems around. Among 3D fighters they are probably my favorite next to the Virtua Fighter series, as they are all fluid and quick-paced, with lightning-fast gameplay and deep countering systems.

That happened the first time.

Even if DoA 3 were on it, it would still pretty much invalidate your rebuttal, as it would be within the number of the games you found good. And I'm starting to think you haven't played them, if the reason you find them bad is because they're "obvious fanservice games". They are, but then that's not a reason to despise it in the first place. For the record, they also have some of the slickest fighting systems around. Among 3D fighters they are probably my favorite next to the Virtua Fighter series, as they are all fluid and quick-paced, with lightning-fast gameplay and deep countering systems.

Now I can't hate a game because the obvious main selling point is "We have breast physics"???? I decree you're not allowed to like any game because of characters!

Now I can't hate a game because the obvious main selling point is "We have breast physics"???? I decree you're not allowed to like any game because of characters!

Yeah, you've never played any of the games.

Edit: So I'd like to hear how you find the first few good, all of which were created with the very purpose you're complaining about, but afterwards they suck. I'm genuinely curious in your logic, here.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Anyway, I think you missed my point. SNES' heyday was much better than PS2's heyday. I already agreed that the PS2 is better now, but I think these systems should be judged based on when they were in their primes.

The tier list is based on the here and now. As I said before, the tier list is one with time, and so changes as time progresses.

Even if the SNES did have the best heyday, it wouldn't be above the PS2.

It will be hard for any company to simulate what Sony did with the PS2. Even Sony itself. The PS2 will be in Awesome Tier for a very long time, while new machines may come out and push the SNES down.

Actually it wouldn't be hard for Sony to top the PS2. All they have to do is allow the PS3 to play PS1 and PS2 games, and it's golden. What the fuck is Sony doing?

The tier list is based on the here and now. As I said before, the tier list is one with time, and so changes as time progresses.

Even if the SNES did have the best heyday, it wouldn't be above the PS2.

It will be hard for any company to simulate what Sony did with the PS2. Even Sony itself. The PS2 will be in Awesome Tier for a very long time, while new machines may come out and push the SNES down.

Then IMO this list is heavily inaccurate and doesn't show the systems in the right light. Going by what you just put forth, I'm surprised you have the NES up there when clearly the SNES is superior to it in every aspect...

And EoI... I can acknowledge a game is good and still hate it. Devil May Cry 4 is a good example for me. Played beautifully, but the god awful characters ruined any fun I could have.

Then IMO this list is heavily inaccurate and doesn't show the systems in the right light. Going by what you just put forth, I'm surprised you have the NES up there when clearly the SNES is superior to it in every aspect...

Yeah. That can't be entirely truthful, Raven, or again, later consoles would undoubtedly be higher in the rankings. Again, if the PS3 were to be considered to still have Linux support, I'm assuming it could conceivably run an emulator which could then play the majority of the rest of the list.

And EoI... I can acknowledge a game is good and still hate it. Devil May Cry 4 is a good example for me. Played beautifully, but the god awful characters ruined any fun I could have.

No, you can't. You can acknowledge something has objectively redeeming qualities in construction, but you cannot view a good game as bad, because if you view it as bad, it is necessarily a bad game. Bad and good are mutually exclusive terms. So, you can say "The graphics in this game are good, but it doesn't stop the game from being bad". You cannot (logically) say "(I think) This game is good, but I think this game is bad." It doesn't make sense.

You post a valid post indeed. The variety in games you provided is quite high (apart from the 2 FEs which wasn't releaased outside Japan). I know I won't be able to match this post of Mega Drive games since I creamed over the Sonic games so much (namely Sonic 3 & Knuckles - my personal favourite game ever), and dibbled in the odd racing game (Burn Out and Super Hang-On), but I can't really compare or defend otherwise. Someone with larger knowledge in Mega Drive games will have to try to defend it, if they so wish. And I'm too lazy to do any research right now.

SNES moved above MD.

You asked for someone with large Megadrive knowlegde ? Here I am ! :D

Here's a list of awesome games in my Megadrive collection :

Adventures of Batman and Robin

Aladdin

Alien 3

Battle Frenzy

Columns

Comix Zone

Cool Spot series

Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (and for JPN-only, Puyo Puyo 2)

Dune 2 : Battle for Arrakis

Earthworm Jim 1 & 2

Ecco the Dolphin series

Eternal Champions

Flashback

General Chaos

Golden Axe series

Jungle Book

Jurassic Park

Landstalker

Mega-lo-Mania

Micro Machines TT 96

Outrun

Phantasy Star series

Populous

Powermonger

Road Rash series (and its spiritual successor, Skitchin')

Rocket Knight Adventures series

Rock 'n' Roll Racing (has one more music over the SNES version)

Shinobi 3 : Return of the Ninja Master

Sonic series

Space Harrier 2

Streets of Rage series

Strike series (Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Urban Strike)

Super Hang On (if you don't get disgusted by the stiff maniability)

Super Monaco GP 1 & 2

Super Street Fighter 2

Tiny Toons : Buster's Hidden Treasure

Thunder Force series

Toy Story (actually better than the SNES version thanks to its extra level)

Vectorman series

Virtua Racing

Wimbledon

Zoop

(Some people would count Strider as a great game ; I personnally don't think, and I don't like this game. Too short, and with a maniability way too stiff).

Now a list of games I don't own and haven't played myself, but heard excellent things about and saw videos of :

Beyond Oasis ("La Légende de Thor" in France)

Bubba 'n' Stick

Castelvania : The New Generation

Crusader of Centy ("Soleil" in Europe)

Cynoug : Wings of War

Dynamite Headdy

Gley Lancer

Gunstar Heroes

James Pond series

Langrisser series

Light Crusader

Mega Turrican

Nobunaga no Yabou (Nobunaga's Ambition) series

Red Zone

Ristar

Robocop VS The Terminator

Rolo to the Rescue

Shining Force series

Speedball

Sub-Terrania

Worms

Zero Tolerance

Dunno if that will influence you on bumping up the Megadrive in the ranks, but at least this list justifies not bumping it down from its current position.

Edited by AceNoctali

I see. That is indeed an awesome list (I remember playing Toy Story at my friend's house many a year ago), although I don't think it can quite overtake what important and seemingly legendary titles the SNES has, which have been listed. It is however enough to keep Mega Drive up where it is, which is directly behind the SNES.

I want the tier list to remain within legal boundaries, as I'm sure that running a new OS and an emulator isn't something Sony would like people doing with their PS3's.

So considering what the tier list is based on, NES to be lowered? Any suggestions on where to lower it?

So considering what the tier list is based on, NES to be lowered? Any suggestions on where to lower it?

I still disagree with lowering it. There's simply too many legendary titles on the system (Mario 1-3, Zelda and yes, Zelda 2, Final Fantasy 1 (and 2 if you count Japan only titles), etc.) and it was too important to the industry as a whole. I wouldn't raise it, but I don't think that the NES needs to be lowered.

If someone with better knowledge of NES titles could fill in for me, that would be great.

I still disagree with lowering it. There's simply too many legendary titles on the system (Mario 1-3, Zelda and yes, Zelda 2, Final Fantasy 1 (and 2 if you count Japan only titles), etc.) and it was too important to the industry as a whole. I wouldn't raise it, but I don't think that the NES needs to be lowered.

If someone with better knowledge of NES titles could fill in for me, that would be great.

Legeadary yes, but would you honestly prefer to own a NES over, say, a Wii or a 360, or even the SNES?

Any reason why the NES is in the Awesome tier, while the the N64, and the SNES are below it. I can't think of any reason why. It needs to go down at least one tier. Plus, the Wii, DS, GBA, etc. can emulate it. There's no reason for it to be so high except for nostalgia MAKING you place it higher. :)

The Nintendo DS must go down a tier. Too many crap games. Terrible Wi-Fi, dumbass friendcodes, pretty much no people near our ages have one, not enough AAA titles. Why is it so high? The DSi Ware barely helps it. Most games are short and get boring after five minutes.

PSX/PS1 needs to go down. As much as I love my own, it's not a great system anymore. Plus, you can get a lot of their good games off of the PS Store! Why is it so high?

PS3 needs to go up, or Xbox360 needs to go down. The PS3 has a BluRay player, virtually unhackable (I see that as a plus), for the most part has much better exclusives (of course, subjective so probably irrelevant), free online (for now), and millions of owners. The Xbox360 has slightly better online. Whoopdie-do. They're both fantastic consoles. There's no reason for the Xbox360 to be higher.

You also forgot to put the PSPGo in "shit tier." Too pricey, only downloadable games, and crappy games in general (about 20 games are actually worthy of owning for most PSP owners).

Seriously, how the fuck are these consoles being rated?

"The tier list is based on the here and now. As I said before, the tier list is one with time, and so changes as time progresses.

Even if the SNES did have the best heyday, it wouldn't be above the PS2."

The way they are right now, I have trouble believing this. Mainly because the NES is so damn high, while the PS3 is too low.

Edited by MGS: Metal Gear Solid

Legeadary yes, but would you honestly prefer to own a NES over, say, a Wii or a 360, or even the SNES?

Well, I think that that criteria is going to clearly bias everyone in favor of newer consoles, when that shouldn't be the case.

I'll ask a question back to you: Would you rather that the NES not have ever existed, or the Wii/360/PS3 had never existed.

Ok, let's address the next problem in the thread.

NGC > PSP.

I fail to see why the PSP is ranked so highly as a gaming console when people continuously bitch about actually playing games on it. I'm a Gamecube whore (the Baten Kaitos series for the NGC is my favourite RPG series of all time and it is exclusive for the Gamecube) but I know where the limitations are. I honestly believe that if we are comparing the consoles for gaming, then their positions should be switched completely.

A little late but, *high fives*

I love Baten Kaitos, it is such an underrated series.

Well, I think that that criteria is going to clearly bias everyone in favor of newer consoles, when that shouldn't be the case.

I'll ask a question back to you: Would you rather that the NES not have ever existed, or the Wii/360/PS3 had never existed.

That's a ridiculous thing to ask. Would you rather not have the Odyssey exist? Would you rather not have video games exist at all?

Just because it was more important for the NES to exist, doesn't place it as high as possible on the list. It can be emulated on nearly every console, and even on some phones. It's weak. It's like asking if I want a world full of old telephones or new cordless ones. Yeah, without the old one the new one couldn't have existed, but that doesn't make it better.

Edited by MGS: Metal Gear Solid

That's a ridiculous thing to ask. Would you rather not have the Odyssey exist? Would you rather not have video games exist at all?

Just because it was more important for the NES to exist, doesn't place it as high as possible on the list. It can be emulated on nearly every console, and even on some phones. It's weak. It's like asking if I want a world full of old telephones or new cordless ones. Yeah, without the old one the new one couldn't have existed, but that doesn't make it better.

Obviously. But should we rate consoles lower just because they came out 25 years ago when technology was a pittance compared with today? My point is that your tiering criteria is flawed. I'm arguing against a tiering criteria that looks only at raw power and flashiness of the console. Obviously, if the NES came out today, it'd be bottom tier, no questions asked. And just because a Wii can emulate a NES doesn't make the Wii automatically better. If it does to you, so be it. But I will argue against your rating system as long as it takes.