27 members have voted

1. 1. choose?

• Mac
    • PC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only if you can handle open source (btw linux is a commie rip off)

rip off? HEY GUESS WHAT, ITS FREAKING FREE HOW CAN YOU GET RIPPED OFF? You don't need to handle the linux source to use it either, they have installation cd's you know. They can simply be downloaded. I have linux and never have even touched or looked at the source of it. >.<

Edited by SmartRutter7

no its a rip off of unix because people didn't like paying att for it, also then what's the real point of having it, it is no better at that point than anything else

So people get it free now, that doesn't make it any worse or any less useful.

Let me explain a few reason why linux wins:

1. Viruses, only 40 ones ever made for linux, pretty much all don't work, some didn't even work that well to begin with. Not to mention with 1000s of types of linux theres no way to affect them all. Why even macs have more virus then that i think. Why do you think they're used for web servers? They're free and more secure then windows servers.

2. It can do anything windows can do, word processing, web browsing, etc.

3. It has the ability to run SOME windows programs via the WINE emulator.

4. No bloated Windows crapware. Such as Internet Explorer.

5. It's prefect for programming and compiling the source into a program.

6. All programs are in a repository on your linux distro's web site. That means no poking around ad-ridden 3rd party sites with risk for malware, viruses, etc.

7. Users are NOT overprivliged. Ie. they couldn't just delete the system folder if they were an idea. And doing system admin stuff is easy as entering your password. Hmm i wonder where vista got the idea of trying to fix xp's overprivliging from? Linux's one still beats vista's imo.

8. Its fully customizable. I could make my desktop and taskbars look however the hell i want, move them to wherever i want them, put whatever i want on it. Doing this in xp would require 3rd party software with risks of yet again, viruses and crap.

9. I can take apart the entire operating system, and do whatever i want with it, provided i figured out how. :P

10. It's free. You can't complain about something thats free. More expensive things don't always mean they're better.

So people get it free now, that doesn't make it any worse or any less useful.

Let me explain a few reason why linux wins:

1. Viruses, only 40 ones ever made for linux, pretty much all don't work, some didn't even work that well to begin with. Not to mention with 1000s of types of linux theres no way to affect them all. Why even macs have more virus then that i think. Why do you think they're used for web servers? They're free and more secure then windows servers.

2. It can do anything windows can do, word processing, web browsing, etc.

3. It has the ability to run SOME windows programs via the WINE emulator.

4. No bloated Windows crapware. Such as Internet Explorer.

5. It's prefect for programming and compiling the source into a program.

6. All programs are in a repository on your linux distro's web site. That means no poking around ad-ridden 3rd party sites with risk for malware, viruses, etc.

7. Users are NOT overprivliged. Ie. they couldn't just delete the system folder if they were an idea. And doing system admin stuff is easy as entering your password. Hmm i wonder where vista got the idea of trying to fix xp's overprivliging from? Linux's one still beats vista's imo.

8. Its fully customizable. I could make my desktop and taskbars look however the hell i want, move them to wherever i want them, put whatever i want on it. Doing this in xp would require 3rd party software with risks of yet again, viruses and crap.

9. I can take apart the entire operating system, and do whatever i want with it, provided i figured out how. :P

10. It's free. You can't complain about something thats free. More expensive things don't always mean they're better.

OK, I was replying to the fact that you DON'T use the open source portion, if you do, it is a wonderful system, the biggest problem with open source( from a buisness prespective) is that you end up having to hire more tech support, and so you wiegh your decisions, do I want a more expensive product, or do I want to hire more people, the more expensive product wins more over because people can be WAY more expensive than software

OK, I was replying to the fact that you DON'T use the open source portion, if you do, it is a wonderful system, the biggest problem with open source( from a buisness prespective) is that you end up having to hire more tech support, and so you wiegh your decisions, do I want a more expensive product, or do I want to hire more people, the more expensive product wins more over because people can be WAY more expensive than software

Tech support? bah you can get that from linux forums for free. I don't even need that much to begin with. Most businesses using linux would use it for networking servers, btw. Tech people have experience in that you know.

So you're saying you'd rather choose windows for a business cause of the fact that most people don't use linux? I doubt many would use the linux desktop for people. I'd agree to not using a linux desktop in a business too, since you're average worker wouldn't use linux.

So basically, they'd use linux for the servers, where only the tech people need to mess with it.

Open source also does not imply more tech support needed, you assume that since more people do not use Linux and are more likely to need the support.