Mac or PC

Admiral "Bull" Halsey

Mac or PC  

27 members have voted

1. 1. choose?

• Mac
    • PC

Tech support? bah you can get that from linux forums for free. I don't even need that much to begin with. Most businesses using linux would use it for networking servers, btw. Tech people have experience in that you know.

So you're saying you'd rather choose windows for a business cause of the fact that most people don't use linux? I doubt many would use the linux desktop for people. I'd agree to not using a linux desktop in a business too, since you're average worker wouldn't use linux.

So basically, they'd use linux for the servers, where only the tech people need to mess with it.

Open source also does not imply more tech support needed, you assume that since more people do not use Linux and are more likely to need the support.

when I said tech support I also meant training and all other costs associated with the ability to use the product, of course I was also kind of refering to open source software as a whole, but I was also saying that if you do have the ability to use it cost effectively then go ahead, its a great idea

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not support only one operating platform. It is programmed to believe that all platforms are beneficial in its own way.

Now reading quote from my creator on this subject: "It depends on how you view life, really. A lot of people pick Windows for its stability (and compatibility); Mac OS for its stylishness, and Linux for its sheer customizability."

Edited by Neural Impulse Unit

when I said tech support I also meant training and all other costs associated with the ability to use the product, of course I was also kind of refering to open source software as a whole, but I was also saying that if you do have the ability to use it cost effectively then go ahead, its a great idea

The only real cost you need for the ability to use open-source software such as linux in a business would be: paying the tech support people, training wouldn't be too hard, and i'm sure a good few tech people already know it. Linux runs on just about any computer, so there's no need to buy a new computer. It could run on a mac or windows computer, and even be installed while keeping mac or windows at the same time. Hell, i've heard there's a linux for the ipod, i know they also got one for the ds and psp.

Looking at if you would rather use microsoft windows for a business, you may eliminate the need for training but you'd have to:

A. Buy the os, instead of getting it for free

B. Need to get tech people to fix stuff more often, since windows is less stable than linux.

C. Experience downtime for updating the system. Linux can do this without a reboot most of the time, only exception is installing a new kernel, and there's only a new one of those every month, even then i believe there's still a way to do that without rebooting.

It does not support only one operating platform. It is programmed to believe that all platforms are beneficial in its own way.

Now reading quote from my creator on this subject: "It depends on how you view life, really. A lot of people pick Windows for its stability (and compatibility); Mac OS for its stylishness, and Linux for its sheer customizability."

1. Linux is more stable then all of them

2. Linux can be stylish too. I made my desktop look like vista. It can do desktop effects as well. It's called Compiz Fusion/Beryl emerald and stuff. There's other types of programs to do effects depending on what you want.

3. One reason i still use Windows: it's what all the video games for computers are made for. At least linux can be installed on the same computer as windows pretty easily. :P

lolsmarty

well how about a mac with window :o

btw dont agrgue with smaet about computers he will always win

uh... you mean whether i think macs or windows are better? Eh, Macs are somewhat similar to Linux, since they both are based off of UNIX. But macs are too freaking expensive. >.<

Speaking of how smart about computers i am, notice how my posts are longer then all of yours? uh huh, i wonder why...

but what you don't realize is that people can end up as expensive and possibly more expensive than the other software, also the only real amount of open source you know of is linux and fire fox (I'm assuming here of course) there are as many open source products out there as there are grains of sand on a beach.

but what you don't realize is that people can end up as expensive and possibly more expensive than the other software, also the only real amount of open source you know of is linux and fire fox (I'm assuming here of course) there are as many open source products out there as there are grains of sand on a beach.

people can end up as expensive? uhh what? how can people be expensive? is this a slave trade going on? Please use some better grammar so i can understand you.

Now, really, how would a lot of open source software be as expensive as other proprietary software? Hmm, thats free software vs. software you always have to pay for. >.<

Your argument makes no sense. Period.

I know other free software than just that btw. I don't think all of it is technically open-source, but its free software:

Trillian, xchat, kvirc, firefox, linux, megazeux, stepmania, vlc media player, DOSbox, Audacity, GIMP, Deluge, Winamp, and the list goes on...

The only time I've been exposed to Macs were in Elementary school with the educational games that help with your typing, though I never really bothered much with them.

With that being said, the majority of my life with computers have been with PCs and I wouldn't change because I'd hate to change to completely new computer concept after spending so much time on PCs.

people can end up as expensive? uhh what? how can people be expensive? is this a slave trade going on? Please use some better grammar so i can understand you.

Now, really, how would a lot of open source software be as expensive as other proprietary software? Hmm, thats free software vs. software you always have to pay for. >.<

Your argument makes no sense. Period.

I know other free software than just that btw. I don't think all of it is technically open-source, but its free software:

Trillian, xchat, kvirc, firefox, linux, megazeux, stepmania, vlc media player, DOSbox, Audacity, GIMP, Deluge, Winamp, and the list goes on...

you have to pay people and the training right?? they cost more especially in the long run than the software

you have to pay people and the training right?? they cost more especially in the long run than the software

Well, Windows server i'm assuming costs quite a bit and...

Wikipedia's Linux article:

Servers and supercomputers

Historically, Linux has mainly been used as a server operating system, and has risen to prominence in that area; Netcraft reported in September 2006 that eight of the ten most reliable internet hosting companies ran Linux on their web servers.[32] (As of June 2008, linux represented five of ten, FreeBSD three of ten, and Microsoft two of ten.[33]) This is due to its relative stability and long uptime, and the fact that desktop software with a graphical user interface for servers is often unneeded. Enterprise and non-enterprise Linux distributions may be found running on servers. Linux is the cornerstone of the LAMP server-software combination (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python) which has achieved popularity among developers, and which is one of the more common platforms for website hosting.

Linux is commonly used as an operating system for supercomputers. As of August 2008, out of the top 500 systems, 423 (84.6%) run Linux.[34]

...As you can see, Linux is much more stable, and if you're going to be running a web server constantly, wouldn't it be a wise idea for it to not have to reboot every so often for stupid things such as windows update? I've heard of people running linux systems for over 200 days straight.

Chances are, if you have windows, you'll be having to pay your tech people more anyhow to fix problems. Not to mention, if your windows goes on and gets hacked or you catch a virus, who do you think is going to be paying overtime for those workers to get it back up and running? If you get linux, you won't have to worry about that as much, since it has no viruses, and isn't as prone to be hacked.

My school runs a windows server from what i can tell, and trust me, it goes down every so often due to whatever crap going on with it. I had to change my school schedule the day before school started, since the school's server was down when i went there to change it a week or so before school. That server was down for the whole time i was there, which probably was about 30-40 minutes. There have been numerous times i couldn't do anything on the school computers because i couldn't access my files on the school's server.

Overall, what would you prefer?

A. Windows server, low uptime, prone to viruses, have to pay stupid microsoft for it.

B. Linux server, relatively high uptime, no such viruses for it, completely free.

As for having to pay people for training for linux, really, it's not hard. I'm sure many already know how too, since as you can see, there are plently of reliable web hosting companies use linux. More so then windows.

If i was determined, i could probably have a fully functional linux web server running right here, on my computer, within a day or two. They have online documention for free. Trust me, i've never made a web server before in me life, i doubt it's hard. The only problem with me making a server is it will be impossible for me to run it constantly, since this is my only computer.

I never said anything about Windows.

Macs are actually the most popular OS/PC on the college scene.

Well i can only assume you implied windows since it's what everyone else in this thread was saying. You said "PC, because Macs are too mainstream." So you couldn't have meant Macs. Since no one else uses Linux but me here, i can rule that out easily.

So what exactly did you mean when you said PC? Since we're basically talking about what is the best os, that's the only thing i could assume.

Be more specific plzkthnx.