FE5 Team

Dark Sage

So I'm doing a trial one before I do my LP on FE5 and the first thing I want to know is if I'm doing a good job of raising my characters and if I'm in great shape overall. I'm in the middle of Chapter 5 and here's my team:

Leaf Lv.9

HP 35

Str 8

Mag 1

Skl 4

Spd 10

Luck 7

Def 5

Build 7

Lifis Lv.5

HP 21

Str 4

Mag 0

Skl 4

Spd 11

Luk 1

Def 2

Build 6

Fergus Lv.14 (Dismounted Stats)

HP 33

Str 12

Mag 1

Skl 10

Spd 13

Luk 11

Def 6

Build 12

Karin Lv.7 (Dismounted)

HP 23

Str 4

Mag 9

Skl 6

Spd 17

Luk 17

Def 3

Build 4

Dalshin Lv.8

HP 31

Str 10

Mag 0

Skl 3

Spd 4

Luk 1

Def 12

Build 17

Asvel Lv.5

HP 26

Str 1

Mag 4

Skl 5

Spd 10

Luk 6

Def 1

Build 4

Brighton Lv.10 (Dismounted)

HP 30

Str 8

Mag 0

Skl 5

Spd 6

Luk 3

Def 6

Build 12

Machua Lv.6

HP 25

Str 4

Mag 2

Skl 13

Spd 12

Luk 7

Def 4

Build 6

Lara Lv.2

HP 14

Str 0

Mag 0

Skl 1

Spd 10

Luk 6

Def 0

Build 3

Nanna Lv.4 (Dismounted)

HP 21

Str 3

Mag 6

Skl 6

Spd 6

Luk 10

Def 2

Build 4

Edited by Dark Sage

You could raise Asvel a bit more. Even promoting him early with the first Knight Proof you get next chapter isn't so bad since you get a new healer and he doesn't lose on too much.

Otherwise can you explain how Fergus is so high levelled? Karin seems really high to me as well.

Edited by Medeus

Well I used Fergus an awful lot and Karin I gave a Slim Sword to be a dodge tank. Fergus got most of the good swords anyway, so killing things was easier. And he took out the Swordmaster in the arena where Nanna is recruited.

I also plan on using Lara as a Dancer and will also use Salem, Homer, Linoan, and Sara when the time comes.

Edited by Dark Sage

You've got some pretty high levels there overall. Are you playing in Elite mode by any chance?

Asvel's level for that point in the game is fine, too, though you should definitely continue to raise him and promote him early if you can (though imo promoting Brighton or Fergus early is a good choice too, it helps greatly in the chapters to come); Asvel's promotion boni are completely ridiculous and make his growths mostly superfluous, unless you want to scroll-abuse his DEF or something.

I thought of that, but I'm not interested in using Dalshin. I think I'll give it Brighton.

And I'm not aiming for efficency or ranks in this playthrough in case you're wondering.

Edited by Dark Sage

I noticed. You might as well use him since he and another character are the only ones that can use Lances indoor. What happened to Othin and his friend?

Dude, he hasn't gotten far enough, let him figure out on his own.

He's still in the jail running part.

Edited by Michalis

You could raise Asvel a bit more. Even promoting him early with the first Knight Proof you get next chapter isn't so bad since you get a new healer and he doesn't lose on too much.

Otherwise can you explain how Fergus is so high levelled? Karin seems really high to me as well.

Yes, that would be advised as you will also get more time to build up his weapon levels and that he can use some better tomes upon class change.

No, but he's almost capped strength and speed. :)

There are no regrets to promoting early especially in this game when stats do not cap beyond 20.

Edited by Ayanami

Asvel is worth an early promotion because the Mage -> Sage promo gains are sick. It basically makes it impossible for his MAG to suffer meaningfully, and since he's Asvel his SPD is never going to be an issue.

Otherwise I can't fault your selections much. Everybody loves Fergus, and I think Brighton is really underrated. Those guys, Asvel, the axe boys, and Fin, and maybe one or two others and you're set in Thracia. Throw in a thief, Karin for utility, and your various staff users and you're good to go.

Great! I knew I was doing great in picking a team.

Brighton is...an interesting case. Wrath is great, but his stats are subpar all around. Mounted axes are great though and his promotion isn't bad.

Wish you could use axes and lances dismounted. Damn you IS!

Well as Brighton gets further on you can hopefully get him some scrolls for his SPD and STR. Mostly he makes a pretty good tank (since he doesn't suffer from Hammer vulnerability) who can smack back pretty hard with Wrath and axes. He also has the prison chapters to work up his Swords, so he's not a total albatross unmounted like a lot of people. A Cavalier joins later who is also okay, though his stats are middling without scrolls. Swords mounted though, so he can keep his rank up like Fergus does.

Oh and just so you know: Karin supports Fergus, which pretty much makes his countercrit rate 100% when she's around, and gives him a nice boost in general. Karin's often busy rescue-ferrying people though, but it's nice to have when you need it.

For where you are, the character's stats are fine. Just be sure to remember that, because stats cap at 20, you can raise a good deal more units than other fire emblem games and still have each unit be an effective asset. Doing so to a degree is actually nesscesary due to he fatigue stat which is implemented from ch.8 onward.