Semi-scripted Prologue?

After noticing that every playlog and every one of my own playthroughs has Eirika scoring a crit in the prologue(Edit: in the same place and in HM), I decided to test it. Now, I've only done some of the possibilities, and only in NM, but it seems to show that the game starts with the same "R"Ns (more like just Ns) every single time. It formatted weirdly coming out of notepad, but it's readable.

"Eirika Left, Seth none. NM

Test 1: Eirika attack fighterL, hithithit. FighterL

attack Eirika. misshitcrit. FighterR attack Eirika.

hit.

Test 2: Same

Test 3: Same

% chance of that exact thing happening once is

~.65%. .65%^3=.000027% chance of that happening three times.

Eirika Right, Seth none. NM

Test 1: Eirika attacks fighterR, hithithit.

FighterL attacks Eirika. Misshitcrit. Fighter R

attacks Eirika. Hit.

Test 2: Same

Test 3: "

Because she's attacking the one on the forest

first, this is even less likely.

Eirika Left, Seth right (sword). NM

Test 1: Eirika attacks fighterL. Hithithit. Seth

attacks FighterR. Hit. Fighter L attacks Eirika.

Misscrit.

Test 2: "

Test 3: "

2.2% chance of happening once, .001% chance of

happening 3 times.

Identical results if Seth uses the lance, but even

less likely because his chances of missing are

higher.

Seth right(sword), Eirika left. NM

Seth attacks fighterR, hit. Eirika attacks

FighterL, crithithit. O'Neill attacks Seth.

Misshithit.

~2.3% chance. 2.3%^3=.001%.

Seth right(lance), Eirika Left. NM

Seth attacks Fighter R. misshithit. Eirika attacks

fighterL. Hithithit. FighterL attacks Eirika.

Misshitcrit.

~2.15% chance in one go, .00099% in three."

I'm also curious as to what happens in chapter 1, and what happens if you stop playing in the middle of P or 1 or in between them. I'll do more tests later, but if anyone else wants to, feel free. I'll probably finish the prologue stuff assuming no suspending so that we have all of those, so someone checking chapter 1 or how stopping the game affects it would be nice.

Edited by Slize

It seems to me that the RNG loads the same string of numbers every time you turn on the game, with a different string for each difficulty setting. It's how the "shitloads of boots" trick works (now if only it were a little faster).

I used to have a video of this. If you do everything in a certain order you get a very nice level up for Eirika that includes Str and Spd.

Yea, it sounds to me like the game just resets the RNs when you start a new game, and since there's really only one good way to proceed in the prologue for the most part people are scoring that crit in the same place. Chapter 1 is a bit more open so I'd think that the numbers begin to diverge in different playthroughs there.

Did you try wasting RNs before going through the prologue?

EDIT: I wasted 3 RNs and a different string of events occured, although trying it twice, the exact same string happened both times when the same amount of RNs were wasted.

Edited by Silvercrow

I wasn't starting a new game. I was just restarting the prologue every time. I guess another thing to test would be suspending the game and just loading it from there.

I wonder if any other games lack a true RNG, or if IS just got lazy with FE8.

I wonder if any other games lack a true RNG, or if IS just got lazy with FE8.

Every game lacks a true RNG.

Hell, there is NO such thing as a true RNG.

But to be more relevant, all of the GBA games have things like this. It's more noticeable in Sacred Stones, though. The first chapter in Lyn's Mode of FE7, for instance, is more or less scripted.

Edited by Furby

The first chapter of LNM is literally scripted.

If you restart a chapter and follow the exact same moves without editing position in ANY of the GBA games, everything will turn out the same. This fucked me over in my recent EHM run where I had a Luna Druid who Hector would ALWAYS miss at 85 and then get crit at 2 and die. Every time until I moved positioning and took that shot with Wil instead.