Fayt's FE3 Playlog.

Fayt Zelpher

Alright, so while most people are playing/have played/will soon play FE12, the remake of this game, I will be playing the SNES version of the game.

Spoilers for this game will be mentioned, so if you're looking to play FE12 spoiler free, this is a warning that you might not want to read beyond this point.

I don't really know of any rules/restrictions, since I've never played this game before and don't know of any super-broken mechanics that I need to limit (besides that +30 growth orb [which I will exploit as needed] and the Again staff [which only has 3 uses anyway, most of which will probably be used on Medeus anyway])

I'm probably going to use the names from the DS version since I'm fairly familiar with FE11 and rather unfamiliar with this game - bear this in mind if I use different spellings/names. (Mostly, it'll be similar ones like Shiida/Sheeda, Medeus/Mediuth and Tiki/Chiki that might be mixed up.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I'll be posting logs of the chapter and initial reactions and the like.

Chapter 1 - Stupid mountains. So, the game is saying that half my units can't even go past the first half of the stage? That's not cool at all.

Anyway, there's not a lot for me to say. Cecil and Marth got a lot of kills here. The archers went to work on the thieves. Doga got a couple of kills as well. Alan went to buy a couple of iron swords and some javelins. Recruited Mallesia. Marth talked to Lawrence, who blew himself up. Marth seized the castle and... the children got kidnapped? Lang, you need to die a brutal death. I can't wait to grant it.

Nice battle music though, I can say that much.

Chapter 1 - Stupid mountains. So, the game is saying that half my units can't even go past the first half of the stage? That's not cool at all.

I know you're probably aware but keep in mind you can dismount your mounted units in this game to travel past mountains.

Edited by Joey

I know you're probably aware but keep in mind you can dismount your mounted units in this game to travel past mountains.

My archers, Mallesia, and Doga can't go past the mountains no matter what I do. But yes, I did know about dismounting. But thanks anyway.

No stats? =(

I'm a stat-whore. So yes, stats or it didn't happen.

Go get the boss stats on the main site. I'm not going to post them here.

As for my party's stats, I'm too lazy to post them but every 5 chapters or so.

Chapter 2. Knowing to bait the boss then fire some arrows at him. That's the only hard part. Well, that, and using Alan to kill the Lady Sword thief. That's a bit of a pain to deal with. Anyway, I need to keep some units down to lesser levels so they can level up with star shards later on.

Edited by Cocytus

Anyway, I need to keep some units down to lesser levels so they can level up with star shards later on.

Not that it reallly matters much other than to gain some permenent Mag Def which you can do with the orb shard that Minerva has when she joins your party and that every other stat can easily be gained without the orb shards. Don't worry about promoting early either as stats only caps at 20.

Edited by Ayanami

Not that it reallly matters much other than to gain some permenent Mag Def which you can do with the orb shard that Minerva has when she joins your party and that every other stat can easily be gained without the orb shards. Don't worry about promoting early either as stats only caps at 20.

Alright, that's good to know.

Anyway, the game seems to be getting easier. Whether that's because I'm figuring out what to do or because the actual game is easing up, I don't know.

Chapter 3. Go around and around the mountains. Fight the social knights. Bait a wyvern knight. Shoot arrows at it. Shoot Linda's aura at it. Heal. Rinse. Repeat. The dragons are a nasty bunch though. Chapter 2 would be pretty much impossible without two or three of them. Got to love how they have 14 defense at a time when most of your units have 11-13 attack. Seriously. It's kind of a pain in the butt. Also, get Palla! :awesome: Now Katua has competition for best unit in the game... :/

Chapter 4. Get Ogma! Get Sirius! Sirius is the definition of a broken unit. Look up 'broken character' in a dictionary and you can find his mask. He kills armies with his trusty bronze iron lance, and he barely gets scratched.

Marth runs up toward the castle. Sirius kills stuff. Ogma steals a pair of kills. Katua and Palla fly over. Bait the last few enemies. Katua takes her lady sword and thrusts it into the boss's face for a OHKO! Also, I got Sheeda. But, she doesn't really compare to Katua/Palla... :( I need to give her some levels.

Chapter 5. Sirius charges for the thief and KO's him on turn 3. Doga blocks the bridge and takes the javelin to counter-attack My archers, pegasi (except Sheeda), Linda, and Marth head toward the village. Ogma, Sheeda, and Doga work on the social knights. Ogma fortunately dodges a stone which would have killed him (@19% accuracy, so not too bad). Cecil takes the javelin and kills the boss (weakened by Doga to 1HP). Fought some coliseum battles while waiting for Marth to reach the seize square.

As for the dragon knights, you know the pattern. Bait, shoot, heal, rinse, repeat. Not much else to say here.

I'll post levels in a little while.

Alright, that's good to know.

Anyway, the game seems to be getting easier. Whether that's because I'm figuring out what to do or because the actual game is easing up, I don't know.

Chapter 3. Go around and around the mountains. Fight the social knights. Bait a wyvern knight. Shoot arrows at it. Shoot Linda's aura at it. Heal. Rinse. Repeat. The dragons are a nasty bunch though. Chapter 2 would be pretty much impossible without two or three of them. Got to love how they have 14 defense at a time when most of your units have 11-13 attack. Seriously. It's kind of a pain in the butt. Also, get Palla! :awesome: Now Katua has competition for best unit in the game... :/

Chapter 4. Get Ogma! Get Sirius! Sirius is the definition of a broken unit. Look up 'broken character' in a dictionary and you can find his mask. He kills armies with his trusty bronze iron lance, and he barely gets scratched.

Marth runs up toward the castle. Sirius kills stuff. Ogma steals a pair of kills. Katua and Palla fly over. Bait the last few enemies. Katua takes her lady sword and thrusts it into the boss's face for a OHKO! Also, I got Sheeda. But, she doesn't really compare to Katua/Palla... :( I need to give her some levels.

Chapter 5. Sirius charges for the thief and KO's him on turn 3. Doga blocks the bridge and takes the javelin to counter-attack My archers, pegasi (except Sheeda), Linda, and Marth head toward the village. Ogma, Sheeda, and Doga work on the social knights. Ogma fortunately dodges a stone which would have killed him (@19% accuracy, so not too bad). Cecil takes the javelin and kills the boss (weakened by Doga to 1HP). Fought some coliseum battles while waiting for Marth to reach the seize square.

As for the dragon knights, you know the pattern. Bait, shoot, heal, rinse, repeat. Not much else to say here.

I'll post levels in a little while.

Now you see why I voted FE3 Book 2 Paola for best female physical unit :awesome: But yeah, those dracos are a real pain in the butt. Also, did you laugh at how pathetic chapter 5's boss is? :awesome::awesome: :awesome:

Especially considering that everything caps at 20 besides HP in this game, Paola only needs four SPD levels to cap.

Provided, her Spd growth isn't exactly high... but, damn, that 16 base.

Well, she could use a couple more so she can cap unmounted as well, but yeah, point stands.

Chapter 6. Kashim goes for the bishops, Julian goes for the treasure chests. Cecil, Ogma, Katua, Marth, and Sheeda all head to the left. Linde, Doga, Sirius, and Paola all stay in the middle, toward the right side. They hold off and eventually eradicate the reinforcements. Katua opens the door, and Ogma recruits Santo. Julian opens the door for Linda. Ogma, Marth, and Linda draw out the armors around Lang and eliminate them one at a time. Lang falls when Ogma pulls back-to-back criticals at 16% chance. A bit lucky, I'd say. :)

Since people might want to see some stats:

Name   Level  EXP  HP  Str  Skl  Spd  Luck  WLvl  Def  Res
Marth     07   68  25   08   10   11    10    08   08   00
Katua     09   88  24   09   07   13    11    13   09   00  (unmounted)
Cecil     07   66  21   07   10   10    08    10   08   00  (unmounted)
Linda     10   59  20   04   09   12    12    14   02   04
Sirius    10   36  32   11   09   14    01    13   14   00  (unmounted)
Doga      14   92  26   09   08   08    03    08   12   00
Mallesia  06   44  19   02   01   07    13    07   03   05
Paola     17   43  30   13   15   15    09    13   12   00  (unmounted) 

I'm about to stop using Doga, I think. The question now is who to replace him with.

Well, she could use a couple more so she can cap unmounted as well, but yeah, point stands.

Chapter 6. Kashim goes for the bishops, Julian goes for the treasure chests. Cecil, Ogma, Katua, Marth, and Sheeda all head to the left. Linde, Doga, Sirius, and Paola all stay in the middle, toward the right side. They hold off and eventually eradicate the reinforcements. Katua opens the door, and Ogma recruits Santo. Julian opens the door for Linda. Ogma, Marth, and Linda draw out the armors around Lang and eliminate them one at a time. Lang falls when Ogma pulls back-to-back criticals at 16% chance. A bit lucky, I'd say. :)

That's actually a similar strategy I used when I played through that chapter on the original version. Although I believe I deployed Rickard instead of Draug.

I'm about to stop using Doga, I think. The question now is who to replace him with.

You get Navarre and Feena next chapter. Pretty easy answer. Navarre rapes face in this game.

Paola is :awesome:

I mean, she's beating out friggin' Sirius in several stats. Friggin Sirius with his across-the-board-60% growths (except HP/Res) and masked awesomeness.

Use Navarre just because I like him. And he has much better growths here than in SD, anyway.

Paola is :awesome:

I mean, she's beating out friggin' Sirius in several stats. Friggin Sirius with his across-the-board-60% growths (except HP/Res) and masked awesomeness.

Actually, Sirius was probably buffed in FE12. Here are his FE3 growths (taken from the main site):

HP	Str	Skl	Spd	Lck	Wlv	Def	Res
80	50	50	40	30	40	30	3

It would also be prudent to point out that Paola only has a 20 speed growth and a 10 luck growth, which isn't good at all.

Catria's growths, on the other hand, are nothing short of godly:

HP	Str	Skl	Spd	Lck	Wlv	Def	Res
70	40	80	80	40	70	20	3

And I'm giving her Star shards to make her more broken, because that's clearly necessary.

My bad. I remembered his BS FE growths on accident. It was seriously 60 across the board. O__o

You know, his growths look eerily similar to another paladin's---a certain redheaded one's, in fact.

Catria wants the defense shards, because if she doesn't cap crap with 80% growths there's something wrong.

My bad. I remembered his BS FE growths on accident. It was seriously 60 across the board. O__o

You know, his growths look eerily similar to another paladin's---a certain redheaded one's, in fact.

Catria wants the defense shards, because if she doesn't cap crap with 80% growths there's something wrong.

Perhaps that's it.

Redheaded paladin, eh? Not sure who you refer to, unfortunately.

That she does. She'll cap speed and skill without problems, I imagine.

Anyway, chapter 7 was a breeze. Navarre kills. Feena refreshes. Rinse. Repeat. Marth heads for the seize square. Sirius kills the Fire Dragon with some of Paola's Silver Lance. I got a Reblow staff!!!

Perhaps that's it.

Redheaded paladin, eh? Not sure who you refer to, unfortunately.

That she does. She'll cap speed and skill without problems, I imagine.

Anyway, chapter 7 was a breeze. Navarre kills. Feena refreshes. Rinse. Repeat. Marth heads for the seize square. Sirius kills the Fire Dragon with some of Paola's Silver Lance. I got a Reblow staff!!!

She means Seth.

You didn't forget the Starsphere shard in that chapter, did you? Also, a thief holds the Starsphere shard in the next chapter.

She means Seth.

You didn't forget the Starsphere shard in that chapter, did you? Also, a thief holds the Starsphere shard in the next chapter.

Of course. :sweatdrop:

I have six at the moment going into chapter 8.

Katua has the Gemini, Cancer, and Taurus shards in her inventory. Her DEF growth is now 95%. :awesome:

Of course. :sweatdrop:

I have six at the moment going into chapter 8.

Katua has the Gemini, Cancer, and Taurus shards in her inventory. Her DEF growth is now 95%. :awesome:

Good.

:awesome:

Watch out for he who totes Gradius and the Darksphere around. You can't do anything to him.

Good.

:awesome:

Watch out for he who totes Gradius and the Darksphere around. You can't do anything to him.

Yeah, Jeigan said as much. Or was it Cain? I don't know.

I now have 8 shards, and there was a mass swarm of tons of armor knights and heroes and everything.

Navarre promoted this chapter. His speed is now at caps. As in, right after promotion. I see why waiting to promote is... not the greatest of ideas all the time.

Especially in a game where caps are all 20.

Navarre has very delicous STR growths. <3

Friggin' SD gimped him. ;^;

Well, it does keep you from getting too dodgy in a game where the final boss has 0 skill and 0 luck (and a 70 hit weapon). At least Medeus has a roughly 1/3 chance of hitting you...

Also, have you noticed that avoid relies on base speed instead of AS? I don't know of any other FE games that do that.

Medeus sounds a lot easier compared to most of the HM SD Medeuses.

Perhaps. The problems are several though:

Medeus has 15 defense, but he halves enemy attack (think Lopt tome here). Falchion and Miracle Sword are about the only ways to consistently damage him. Well, and Chiki/Tiki.

He spawns 2 Earth Dragons a turn. Thankfully, the shield repels them at the start of player phase.

But yeah, I suppose it's not so bad. But unless you bring Merric, Julian, Minerva, and Sirius, you'll have to fight Medeus several times.