Hello!

Glenn Magus Harvey

I just started playing FE7 and FE8 (the first two English games), and I've found them quite entertaining, even addicting. :P Worse--I've been playing both at the same time. Well, in between each other. So I currently have a normal(?) FE7 file (started with the tutorial) and a hard FE8 file going. I'm impressed by the difficulty of hard mode on FE8, though I'm still near the beginning.

I've had some questions about the games. I think I know most of the answers so far, but I'm bound to have more.

• Is the condition for 2x attack >= 2x net speed or >= opponent's speed +4? (Two sources say it's +4.)
  • What's the condition for 4x attack?
  • Do reinforcements not spawn if you have a unit covering their spawn point? Do they respawn later instead? (I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure.)
  • Do the one-time-use items from Lyn's story carry over to the rest of FE7? (Four sources say no, directly or indirectly.)
  • Who should I give the Energy Ring and Angelic Robe to, then? My shortlist for the Energy Ring is Lyn, Serra, and Matthew, and for the Angelic Robe is Lyn, Florina, Erk, and Matthew.
  • Why aren't there more pictures of Vanessa around?

I'm aware that this is a strategy game, and that there are a lot of people who talk about ways of optimizing things, though I'll try to keep it from giving me too many headaches.

Edited by Glenn Magus Harvey

Heya, welcome to the forest. Hope you have fun.

Answers (not the best place to ask them, but here's my take):

-Is the condition for 2x attack >= 2x net speed or >= opponent's speed +4? (Two sources say it's +4.)

Your attack speed (speed - excess weapon weight) has to be 4 higher than the opponent's. More calculations here.

-What's the condition for 4x attack?

You need to be able to double attack and have a Brave weapon

-Do reinforcements not spawn if you have a unit covering their spawn point? Do they respawn later instead? (I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure.)

Depends. On the games you have, if you stand over the fort/other reinforcement point, they will not spawn. If they do not spawn on the turn(s) they're supposed to, they will not appear later. Example: bandits appear on turn 2 and 4 in a fort. If you cover the fort by turn 2, that bandit will not appear. If you leave the fort within the next 2 turns, the turn 4 bandit will appear.

-Do the one-time-use items from Lyn's story carry over to the rest of FE7? (Four sources say no, directly or indirectly.)

Nope. But if you use them on a character, whatever stat boosts they gained will transfer. It is reccomended you do use them, unless you want Lyn to come back with more valuable gem to sell.

-Who should I give the Energy Ring and Angelic Robe to, then? My shortlist for the Energy Ring is Lyn, Serra, and Matthew, and for the Angelic Robe is Lyn, Florina, Erk, and Matthew.

The Angelic Robe should go to Lyn since she's forced in many later chapters, but could also go to Serra or Florina if you like using them. The Energy Ring's best candidate is also Lyn, but Matthew, Serra and Erk are also good choices.

Why aren't there more pictures of Vanessa around?

Probably because her official artwork was released late (like many other FE8 ones), and not many people created art based on her.

lol and cool, a tvtroper.

Edited by Silent Mercenary

Ahh, thanks for the welcomes!

I might start a separate thread about who to give the bonuses to, since it seems it might be a more in-depth topic.

I also edited my post to fix the link. It should now link to the whole thread where I was complaining about optimizing complexity in videogames...

As for Vanessa...but...but she's cute! :( @ lack of art...

Edited by Glenn Magus Harvey

Welcome to SF and enjoy your stay!

If you go on Pixiv, make an account (it's in Japanese, though), and type in Vanessa's Japanese name (I think FEWiki should have it), it should give you some decent results.