How hard is Lunatic Mode compared to Shadow Dragon's H5 mode? Could a 0% growths run be possible?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful!! I absolutely cannot WAIT to get that game now!! Whooo!!

Still, I wonder if even Dondon can do a 0% growths of this game, now that Warp Staff usage was nerfed.

Simply put, he can't. SPD is far too necessary and there is not enough money and stat boosters to make up for it.

Judging from enemy stats on both the original Merciless and the new Lunatic, I'd have to say that Lunatic mode reads a magnitude of H7.5 on the difficulty Ritcher scale(seriously, you expect an average player to stand up to SILVER weapons and forges in the very FIRST non-prologue chapter, never mind the fact that enemy stats are ridiculous as all hell. Then let's not get to the later chapters, where shit has capped HP/str/skl/spd and EVERYTHING is forged. Silvers, Tron/Bolganone, everything). Ballbusting. Absolutely ballbusting. And let's not get to Loony Reverse. That reads an easy H9 or even 10(not only do you have to face the shit I mentioned, enemies now all have Vantage, so you get pwned even if you attack them)

At least in Merciless(which I didn't play, since I can barely get past C1 on that difficulty), you didn't have to face silvers until C10, at which point, you probably have a unit that can resist them(READ: Gen!Wolf/Zag or a REALLY def blessed AK!Draug). And while hero weapons started to show up in C20(around the same time silvers started becoming rampant), by now your general would have enough def to get tinked by them(or take so little from them that they wouldn't give a rat's cheesy ballsack even if they WERE getting quadded). In Loony Mode, you don't have such a luxury since the game throws the ballbusting crap at underdeveloped units, and by the time your units become tanky enough to take hits from those, the weapons have +4 might, so most units got 2RKO'd anyway.

Coming soon to a Youtube near you:

Let's Play FE12 on H3 Mode(and do the commentary as I play).

Y/Y?

Yes, let's see your life and mind disintegrate into the forged Void before our eyes.

Well, if Dondon isn't done with his 0% growths playthrough for Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn yet, I believe I might just have to give this a shot. If I can do a speed run of Dragon Warrior II in which I can get to Rhone in only two and a half hours, I think I at the very least have a fighting chance at this.

Maybe me and Dondon can try it together when this comes into the states. However, I don't think I'll be aiming for low turncounts like Dondon.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Wonderful!! I absolutely cannot WAIT to get that game now!! Whooo!!

Still, I wonder if even Dondon can do a 0% growths of this game, now that Warp Staff usage was nerfed.

Try nonexistent.

The biggest advantage of Lunatic Anything (MU) is gonna be gone, and the number of units that can cause a Game Over double. I'll be quite impressed if he pulls it off (doubly so if it's Lunatic Reverse).

Well, it may seem tough, but we are HUMANS! We can do a lot of seemingly impossible things, as long as we don't defeat ourselves with bad "can't do" attitudes.

At least, that's the way I believe in looking at things you set your mind to.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Well, it may seem tough, but we are HUMANS! We can do a lot of seemingly impossible things, as long as we don't defeat ourselves with bad "can't do" attitudes.

At least, that's the way I believe in looking at things you set your mind to.

Problem is, it's now approaching statistical impossibility.

I'm a pretty big masochist myself and I will say this is 100% impossible. Even Marth needs capped speed to beat the game on Lunatic just to survive a round of combat with Medeus seeing as Falchion is the only thing that deals effective damage to him and even in a regular Lunatic playthrough he needs crits to make the battle go much smoother.

Two questions about Medeus...

1) Can he move?

2) Does he regenerate HP even when you purify the four maidens?

I'll put my answer and thoughts in a spoiler.

1. No, he doesn't move.

2. He's on a throne so technically he recovers SOME.

As for the difficulty of this game, I think it's strange as the difficulty is handled unlike a lot of Fire Emblems. It's harder to just position yourself so the enemy suicides into you. Bit more precision is required, and the game tends to force you to move forward (Chapter 20's a prime example). Really, the game seems more of a puzzle to figure out than your typical Fire Emblem. Chapter 19's an example of a puzzle, sine to do that chapter safely on a level that won't have you pulling your hair out is to kill the boss ASAP. When you see chapter 19, you'll know why this could turn out to be harder than it sounds.

Money's a bit tighter in this game, but you get a lot more free weapons and stuff like the Shards to help you out. Typically, you wanna save that money to do things that aren't buying/forging weapons, such as using the in-base arena for assured levels and stat boosters. Occasional slayer or 1-2 range weapon though are fine, just for the most part don't buy weapons. You shouldn't need to.

I think where this game makes it's difficulty felt is that it forces you into the mindset that you can't get in a comfortable position. Enemies are not only stronger, but for the most part it can throw you into situations where sitting still is suicidal.

Also, due to enemy stats and the way stat caps work, you can't be both offensive AND defensive. You can't tank and live forever while murdering entire crowds. That's not to say defensive play isn't able to work, you just have to go about it differently. For example, if you can accept that a unit exists and is never going to double, then they just want high enough speed to not get doubled while focusing more on durability. It works greatly for Minerva.

Finally, the Rainbow Potion, while not needed to beat the game, can make a runthrough easier to deal with if you're having trouble. You don't have to, but if you find yourself pulling your hair out, it's always there.

So yeah, this game is incredibly hard, but feels a lot more rewarding for beating because other games in the series, despite being able to be hard in their own way, can be easily done with just finding a comfortable position and slowly pushing forward. You're not allowed to sit back in this game for the most part, and are forced to deal with how you go about getting through the enemy as quickly as possible/find out how to cripple what makes the map significantly harder than it needs to be. It's a fun change of pace for the series.

Problem is though, once you beat it, it's hard to go through with it again since the entire game feels so tense. Still, the game is overall fun and quite a nice change of pace.

Will all that be enough to do Lunatic at 0%? The in-game arena would be near-pointless, so there'd be more funds for forging. Rainbow Potion won't break caps.

There's always the clock bonuses, but I wouldn't rely on them!