Plants vs. Zombies Ranking Thread!

Soren37

For the Fume Shrooms, I'm almost certain that Catapults hit the zombie in the head rather than the object it holds, and even without this I feel it's somewhat overrated. But, y'know, margin of error and all. P&Z's all about choices, after all, and mostly everyone seems to at least somewhat agree with everything you've said...ignoring That Guy of course.

Shouldn't we try to minimize margin of error? By comparing it to other plants we can reduce the margin of error to minimum.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't we try to minimize margin of error? By comparing it to other plants we can reduce the margin of error to minimum.

I'll try to do that. I'll redo the Fume Shroom, and it'll probably drop by a point or so.

And I tried out the Sun Shrooms today on a friends iPod. I will admit, they helped out quite a bit. I was able to set up my defenses earlier then my usual "Sunflowers and Puff Shrooms" strategy. It doesn't change much, though. Sun production is an automatic 9.5, pretty much.

Grave Buster

Sun-75

Recharge-Fast

Damage-None

Range-Single square.

Attack Speed-One grave in about 5 seconds or so.

Utility-Can eat graves.

When you first get the Grave Buster, it may seem pretty cool. Finally, no more extra zombies popping out for your final waves! And you can get money! However, the Grave Busters are only useful in World 2, where you have graves. They never reappear after that.

Final Thoughts

Useful for one world, and it only really helps out in minimizing the final waves, which you shouldn't have trouble with anyways.

4.5/10

Hypno Shroom

Sun-75

Recharge-Normal

Damage-None

Range-None

Attack Speed-None

Utility-Converts zombies to your side. Nocturnal.

If there was a preacher in this game, it would be the Hypno Shroom. After being planted, the Hypno Shroom sits there, quietly waiting for someone to eat it. Once the zombie eats him, the hypno shroom rewires the dead brain so that it begins to attack it's own kin. Long story short: zombies fight for you. This may seem incredibly awesome at first, except for the fact that the other zombies will still om nom nom your converted zombie. Therefore, it's recommended that you plant the Hypno Shroom where it can be eaten by Football zombies or Buckethead zombies.

Final Thoughts

The Hypno Shroom only really has situational use. Use it when you have to, and let it be.

5/10

Edited by Soren37

Speaking of margin of error, I agree completely. Nothing more badass than having a Gridironer beat the crap out of its own line before escaping to victory. And...many things more practical.

I'll try to do that. I'll redo the Fume Shroom, and it'll probably drop by a point or so.

And I tried out the Sun Shrooms today on a friends iPod. I will admit, they helped out quite a bit. I was able to set up my defenses earlier then my usual "Sunflowers and Puff Shrooms" strategy. It doesn't change much, though. Sun production is an automatic 9.5, pretty much.

Grave Buster

Sun-75

Recharge-Fast

Damage-None

Range-Single square.

Attack Speed-One grave in about 5 seconds or so.

Utility-Can eat graves.

When you first get the Grave Buster, it may seem pretty cool. Finally, no more extra zombies popping out for your final waves! And you can get money! However, the Grave Busters are only useful in World 2, where you have graves. They never reappear after that.

Final Thoughts

Useful for one world, and it only really helps out in minimizing the final waves, which you shouldn't have trouble with anyways.

4/10

Hypno Shroom

Sun-75

Recharge-Normal

Damage-None

Range-None

Attack Speed-None

Utility-Converts zombies to your side. Nocturnal.

If there was a preacher in this game, it would be the Hypno Shroom. After being planted, the Hypno Shroom sits there, quietly waiting for someone to eat it. Once the zombie eats him, the hypno shroom rewires the dead brain so that it begins to attack it's own kin. Long story short: zombies fight for you. This may seem incredibly awesome at first, except for the fact that the other zombies will still om nom nom your converted zombie. Therefore, it's recommended that you plant the Hypno Shroom where it can be eaten by Football zombies or Buckethead zombies.

Final Thoughts

The Hypno Shroom only really has situational use. Use it when you have to, and let it be.

5/10

What??????????????

6.5 for the Fume-shroom!!!!!!!?

Fume-shrooms attack like 5 squares, all zombies and ignore screen-doors. There're plants that are used in survival endless (depending of strategy) and only cost 75. Please!You seem to concentrate more in the negative of plants than their positive side. If an awesome plant like they get 6.5 then I can't and won't imagine what will you put to other plants. Melon-pults attack like 2 squares in the damage group, Fume-shrooms only cost 75 (150 in day) and attack like 5 squares. Ignore the same zombies defence.

Grave Busters...

Really?Really?REALLY???

Only 4???

They erase graves, that might steal space for your plants. Especially in those 3-waves levels with like 11 graves, some graves steal space for your plants, and, by erasing a plant they can even give you zen garden plants, chocolate and diamonds! Diamonds!!! They aren't useful for anything else than night levels, but, why does that affect the plant? You're not forced to take them in EVERY level so, is that a great deal?

Hypno-Shrooms

Yep, they have been useless in some occasions by me but look the good side: They make foot-ball or bucked zombies fight for you if you know how and when to use them, they also hypnotize jack-in-the-box, and tall-nut zombies for zombotany. But look at the jack-in-the-box, IT'S A CHERRY BOMB FOR ONLY 75 SUN! FTW! Especially against gargantuars or survival endless.

The reason that I didn't talk about snow and repeater peas, puff and solar shrooms is because I agree with their score, I don't always do random trolling you see?

They aren't useful for anything else than night levels, but, why does that affect the plant? You're not forced to take them in EVERY level so, is that a great deal?

Keep in mind the score is an overall performance. If it's not being useful more than when it does, of course it will be penalized.

Keep in mind the score is an overall performance. If it's not being useful more than when it does, of course it will be penalized.

It doesn't have sense, you're not forced to take them with you for day levels, plants shouldn't be penalizated because of that.

It doesn't have sense, you're not forced to take them with you for day levels, plants shouldn't be penalizated because of that.

Precisely, you don't have to bring them, which means they are not contributing to your Zombie-elimination goal since they have no job to accomplish. And it is an Overall Performance so they are on trial throughout the game, so their uselessness in Four of the Five stages means the penalty will be significant.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

What??????????????

Fume-shrooms attack like 5 squares, all zombies and ignore screen-doors. There're plants that are used in survival endless (depending of strategy) and only cost 75. Please!You seem to concentrate more in the negative of plants than their positive side. If an awesome plant like they get 6.5 then I can't and won't imagine what will you put to other plants. Melon-pults attack like 2 squares in the damage group, Fume-shrooms only cost 75 (150 in day) and attack like 5 squares. Ignore the same zombies defence.

Grave Busters...

Really?Really?REALLY???

Only 4???

They erase graves, that might steal space for your plants. Especially in those 3-waves levels with like 11 graves, some graves steal space for your plants, and, by erasing a plant they can even give you zen garden plants, chocolate and diamonds! Diamonds!!! They aren't useful for anything else than night levels, but, why does that affect the plant? You're not forced to take them in EVERY level so, is that a great deal?

The reason that I didn't talk about snow and repeater peas, puff and solar shrooms is because I agree with their score, I don't always do random trolling you see?

Guess what? We aren't playing endless survival.

Except this list is based off how well they do all levels. If you can't understand this get out.

There isn't something called 'random trolling'. Trolling is intentional.

Precisely, you don't have to bring them, which means they are not contributing to your Zombie-elimination goal since they have no job to accomplish. And it is an Overall Performance so they are on trial throughout the game, so their uselessness in Four of the Five stages means the penalty will be significant.

Oh!nice! Flower pots are in the same hole, only usefull in roof, they don't attack or give sun or nothing. I want 2 of score for flower pots then! Everyone play night levels without grave busters and roof levels without flower pots!

Oh!nice! Flower pots are in the same hole, only usefull in roof, they don't attack or give sun or nothing. I want 2 of score for flower pots then! Everyone play night levels without grave busters and roof levels without flower pots!

Dude, enough. Besides, it's not the same comparing Grave Busters, whose utility is helpful, to Plant Pots, whose utility is vital, since without them, you wouldn't be able to place plants anyway, despite their one stage use each. They'll score at least higher than the Grave Busters due to this. Try to see all the aspects before judging, as you fail to be doing practically up to now.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Try to see all the aspects before judging, as you fail to be doing practically up to now.

Me?You say I don't see all aspects?

I was trying to talk civilizated, but now you seem the troll, I gave all grave busters, hypno-shroom and fume-shrooms aspects, which it looks that I'm forced to copy & paste it to make sure the thread owner read it.

What??????????????

Grave Busters...

Really?Really?REALLY???

Only 4???

Me?You say I don't see all aspects?

I was trying to talk civilizated, but now you seem the troll, I gave all grave busters, hypno-shroom and fume-shrooms aspects, which it looks that I'm forced to copy & paste it to make sure the thread owner read it.

With that way of expressing yourself in that post, and you say I'm the troll and that you're civilized? I doubt that. :facepalm:

Your arguments are not done well. Just look at IOS's post. It's better elaborating while covering roughly the same points you did, but obviously his post will get prioritized for consideration due to it's better structure. You need to calm down and write better, if you want your arguments to be contributal to the thread, otherwise, you're just trolling because you disagree.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

With that way of expressing yourself in that post, and you say I'm the troll and that you're civilized? I doubt that. :facepalm:

Your arguments are not done well. Just look at IOS's post. It's better elaborating while covering roughly the same points you did, but obviously his post will get prioritized for consideration due to it's better structure. You need to calm down and write better, if you want your arguments to be contributal to the thread, otherwise, you're just trolling because you disagree.

Me and IOS fight in the same side, trying to show the utility of fume-shrooms, and IOS was right, if the thread owner used sunflowers in night levels then we better call a REAL experienced player to give rank to plants, and do I take you as a troll? Yes, because you're obssecioned with disagreed with me, I just want peace, that's what I don't need to give LONG explication in my posts.

Me and IOS fight in the same side, trying to show the utility of fume-shrooms, and IOS was right, if the thread owner used sunflowers in night levels then we better call a REAL experienced player to give rank to plants, and do I take you as a troll? Yes, because you're obssecioned with disagreed with me, I just want peace, that's what I don't need to give LONG explication in my posts.

He meant the Sun Shrooms, not Flowers.

Not really, it's that you just don't seem to accept the fact someone disagrees with you, and likewise to those trying to make you understand that you're doing it wrong.

You just don't seem to accept the fact someone disagrees with you, and likewise to those trying to make you understand that you're doing it wrong.

I of course accept when someone disagree with me. But see? Your post just justify what I said, look at yourself, you're obssesed in beating me in an internet discusion, your post says that you're just trying to say anything to disagree.

I of course accept when someone disagree with me. But see? Your post just justify what I said, look at yourself, you're obssesed in beating me in an internet discusion, your post says that you're just trying to say anything to disagree.

And your post proves my point as well. You are likewise intent on proving yours. Vicious cycle if you ask me. :mellow:

Anyway, now for actual contribution for the thread. I myself bring a disagreement on the Fume Shroom as well. In my opinion, their moment of action could not only be restricted to just Stage 2. Stage 4 could also use their help thanks that they can attack a horde in a line at the same time, even if they are no screen-doors in sight.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Fume Shrooms being a 6.5? WTF? They are THE go-to plant during night time. Unless you're playing horribly inefficiently and using Peashooters and the like, what else are you using for offense during night? They have numerous advantages over any other offensive plant during World 2. Hitting numerous enemies at the same time, fast attacks, hitting through screen doors, etc. Then we have to give them credit for giving you access to Glooms, aka the most important plant during Worlds 3-4. I'm sure most of you are aware of the Gloom strategy for these maps. Given its ridiculous utility, giving Fume a 6.5 makes little sense.

Scaredy-.

Gloom strategy? Alas, I spent my hard-earnt money on Gatlings, which I later discovered were utterly useless. So...could you elaborate?

Make your own thread and stop raping my eyes and brain.

Edited by Furetchen

Let me put it out right now that you're impossible to tolerate with your attitude.

Cool. Except guess what? You don't bring any evidence at all rather than just conjure bullshit from nowhere. You're the one who's trolling as you keep bashing without any good reasons. So therefore, you are either a troll or retarded. Unless you want to go with the latter, I suggest you take the former.

Yes, you do. In science, if you don't explain something properly it doesn't become accepted. Same thing here. You can bullshit all you want about your opinion of scores, but it only matters if you can bring evidence to the table.

No you don't. You simply just go on about how you're right and we're wrong. We aren't obsessed in beating you in an argument. We're simply facepalming at the lack of English and intelligence in your posts. As stated before, if you aren't going to participate for the purpose of this thread, get out.

Me and IOS fight in the same side

IOS just made a long and convincing argument as to FUCKING HELL I NEED TO BUY GLOOMS. You just go "Talll-nuts??? 6/10???! this is unaccceptabble! they are have AMAZING utility in survival endless and you are obcessed with arguing with me, i have to copy+paste evidense".

Or something like that. Only minor exaggerations, and I could've added more punctuation.

On another note, I was playing just then. and HOLY FUCK Survival Hard is...hard. The sixth flag fucked me over, the seventh and eight flags made sure I couldn't recover, and when I did recover, the ninth flag fucked me over again. Just as the final wave was about to set in, a balloon flew unopposed to victory, as two backup dancers thrillered by an empty row two files down.

Current Arguments

Fume Shrooms Up

I agree. After trying out Gloom Shrooms, and seeing

video, I will admit that the Fume Shroom should rise, granted their utility is very nice. Fume Shrooms will now have a 7.5/10.

Grave Busters

Grave Busters are NOT an essential plant. Sun Shrooms, Fume Shrooms, Puff Shrooms, Wall Nuts, and a Bomb plant are necessary. Grave Busters are the sprinkles on a triple fudge sundae made by your hot, Swedish girlfriend, who will feed it to you while you play games. They're just there to help out if you can't think of anything else.

Situational Use-Only necessary in some cases, but not all

Vital Use-The item in question is necessary to complete the task

gccmvmk, I've asked you once before, please respond in a civilized manner, instead of "yelling" at everyone.

Today's rankings!

Scaredy Shroom

Sun-25

Recharge-Fast

Damage-Normal

Range-Very Long

Attack Speed-1 puff/second

Utility-Hides when zombies get too close. If a zombie (Z) is in that position, then the Scaredy Shrooms (S) will hide.

S

S Z

S

Description

The Scaredy Shroom might seem like a good upgrade from the Puff Shrooms, as it can hit from forever away, and it deals the same damage as a Peashooter for much less Sun. However, the moment a Zombie gets within two squares of a Scaredy Shroom, it will cower and hide, and the Zombie can eat it easily. This means that Scaredy Shrooms are almost useless, as to take advantage of their range, they should go in the back, and if you move them up as scapegoats, you're not using them to their full potential, and Puff Shrooms can fill that spot better.

EDIT: Furetchen pointed out to me and my sleep-deprived brain that if once you have a bunch of Fume Shrooms shooting along with the Scaredy Shrooms, you're pretty much covered, and their downside doesn't even rear its head.

Final Thoughts

If it weren't for the cowering, then they'd be much better. The range and damage are nice though for the sun cost.

6.5/10

Ice Shroom

Sun-75

Recharge-Slow

Damage-Low

Range-Whole Screen

Attack Speed-Instant Use

Utility-Freezes all zombies on screen.

Description

The Ice Shroom is a really nice plant. It's a fairly low cost plant that can really help during the final waves, as it can freeze EVERY ZOMBIE ON THE SCREEN. There's no hiding from this guy unless you're underground (testing needs to be done). It's a difficult plant to use during the day, as it now has a 150 Sun cost, but it still packs a punch, and it's necessary for the final boss.

Final Thoughts

Useful plant in the night chapters, and can have its uses outside of that. It's a necessity for the final boss.

7/10

Edited by Soren37

Considering that by the time you have enough sun for a rank of Scaredy-Shrooms, they'll easily have a healthy buffer of Puff-, and then Fume-Shrooms to shoot behind, this is where their good damage for ridiculous prices comes into play without the downside. Let's face it, if the enemy is facing down your third file, the failure of a 25 Sun plant is the least of your troubles. Easily more than a 2/10...Maybe a 7, 6.5.