Zelda - Oracle of Secrets

H3X/AntiStyle

20 members have voted

1. 1. Interested?

2. 2. Would you contribute?

Hey all. I've been playing Oracle of Ages lately, and I was just thinking how awesome it would be if THERE WAS A THIRD GAME IN THAT SERIES!? But then I realized that the Oracle mini series was popular enough that there's a fairly comprehensive resource of sprites. Why is this important? Because as I've found in the past, my usual problem with hacking/game making is Graphics. But for this, all the sprites that I would need are in one/two easy places!

So, who would be interested in a fan-made Oracle of Secrets? The game would play almost exactly like Oracle of Ages/Seasons, but with a few optimizations. Things like a dedicated action button (Like in Minish Cap, because going into that menu to equip the damn Bracelet is really gay) that would do things like pick shit up, raise the sheild (So it isn't useless) and roll. Also, this "R" button would, in the item menu, be what pulled out the subitem select [Remember the seeds, and how you always had to select the item twice? With this pushing A or B would just equip it, and pressing R would let you change what item it was.].

The special item in the game would be the Mask of Secrets, which would effectively replicate the mask system in Majora's mask. The way I see it, when you first get it, it'll have the abilities of the Lens of truth (Seeing shit as it really is), and then later it can morph into the Deku, Goron, or Zora masks. (Or just Goron and Zora, cuz no one liked Deku link and there's no sprites for it...).

As for dungeons, many of the puzzles and stuff would be inspired/ripped from the GB/C games, and possibly inspired by Minish Cap, since I prolly couldn't make too many good puzzles on my own without the bit of guidance...

So who would be interested in this? Also, would anyone want to contribute? Ideas for items, dungeons, story, anything works. Spriting also would help greatly for bosses (GBc spriting is VERY easy, and you only need like 3 frames lolz). This will PROBABLY be built off of Construct, once I get the hang of it.

That sounds really cool, and I loved the games, so if there was anything like them I would love them.

But on that note, I feel to remain some integrity to the other two, the menus, the essences, and other things should at least stay so it feels like a third game.

The Lens of Truth sounds like a good idea, but the transformation masks only really sound good for Majora's, since that whole story was about masks.

I remember something somewhere, where the maps flipped between day and night with something, so puzzles changed that way, but I can't remember. I know it was just an April Fool's day joke, but it seemed quite interesting with that. It would probably be hacked off of Ages, since the two distinct worlds makes more sense, even though the Rod of Seasons would probably change time easier.

Edit: Found it. Looks quite interesting too.

Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Hours

Edited by Shopkeeper

Well, I really can't think of anything that we could upgrade on just a Lens of Truth, without it simply being more stuff being revealed (Which is lame), and since Masks are "secretive" and shit, the Mask idea works perfectly. Plus, who didn't love Zora Link?

Also, I'm only changing those things cuz they're just flat out a pain in the ass. No one likes those. :/

Edited by H3X/AntiStyle

I think the idea is great, but thinking realistically... I don't see you being able to make this in any reasonable timeframe unless the game is fairly small, or you get a LOT of help. Still, I'd be happy to see what you can do.

The idea isn't to release it in a few days. This is going to be a larger project. I plan on releasing the engine first (A mini dungeon), then release it on a dungeon by dungeon basis, with the area in between the dungeons as .0.5 releases. Meaning, whif I get done, it'll be around 0.9.5., which'd make the bug fix release 1.0.0, of course.

I realize that it all has to be kept in theme, but 1.), I won't be motivated enough to make the terrain changing effects similar to what the Rod and Harp did, and 2.) I have to have something interesting. I'm still up for ideas, though.

I'll keep your project in mind, maybe I'll contribute something IF I have a good idea.

Btw, THEY PLANNED A THIRD GAME IN THE SERIES! It was just cancelled for some unknown reason. The Games were supposed to mirror the Triforce, as the pre-release titles proof: Oracle of Ages was called "Mystical Seed of Wisdom", Oracle of Seasons "Mystical Seed of Power", the cancelled game was called "Mystical Seed of Courage". There never were any details released about it, so we can only suggest what kind of Oracle Farore should have been.

Farore is the Oracle of Secrets in both Seasons and Ages, so I'm going with that, personally. And yes, we all know about the infamous canceled game, which is half of why I'm attempting this.

Btw, based on the game editor that I'm using, this won't be terribly difficult. This one seems fairly complex yet easy to use, only issue is feature memorization...

The reason Mystical Seed of Courage was canceled is actually really well-known. The password system proved to be too complicated for three games, so the development team was forced to scale it down to two.

At any rate, this sounds like an interesting project. I'd be interested in seeing a fanmade addition to the oracle series, but I'm not sure that I can contribute anything.

Anyone can contribute anything, btw. Item ideas, puzzle ideas, boss ideas, location names, ANYTHING. Obviously things like Boss sprites will help greatly, but there is no "Oh I don't think I can contribute". If there was ever anything that you thought would be cool in a Zelda game, slap it down here. I won't be just recycling the items from the existing games.

Also, this WILL NOT BE A ROM HACK. This will be a dedicated program. While this means it won't be playable on a GBC/emulator, it DOESN'T mean that it will go crazy. I see a lot of things like this where they use old GBC graphics, which were designed for low resolution GBC screens, and then have GIANT windows that dwarf everything. Now, the usable screen size will only be 1 box taller and maybe 2-3 boxes wider, if only because the original did feel a little cramped. This gives it a little more breathing room without going crazy on room space, so there won't (hopefully) be a huge problem with empty rooms.

Haha found snap to grid this will make things far easier. Now to figure out how to disable subpixel movement so that Link won't blur after movement.

EDIT: Found it. Not at the PC right now, so I'll have to test it but hopefully this will fix sub pixel movement.

Edited by H3X/AntiStyle

I have a couple ideas about puzzles. I'm a terrible artist though, so don't expect a very good picture to graphically show my ideas.

Actually, I still have yet to finish any Zelda game, ever.

• 9 months later...

A bit of a bump, but I noticed this while digging through for some info.

If anyone is/was interested in a fan-game siimilar to the Oracle series, a rather large and polished modification of the two games is in the work by some nice dudes. They released a demo of the tentative overworld and three dungeons a bit ago.

Download thread

Now I forget if they're the authors or not, but the level editor (a level editor?) is also available on their forums. I believe it's been revised (if it's the same one I'm thinking of) to work online fluently, much like the Super Mario RPG editor. But I dunno--I never followed much of these. But like I said, for those who might be (or still are) interested, this might get you a little bit of a fix

even if a year old one