Diplomacy Game Thread

Life

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy takes Austria

Life is in a pretty dire situation already. How would weakening his first line of defense make things any easier for him?

Russia takes Turkey

Russia and Italy. Life has a better foothold.

Germany takes Russia, while France backstabs England and Germany

Germany isn't going to be able to stop Russia alone if Russia pulls back in time. France isn't "backstabbing" England, since it's obvious they were never allies. I'd be wary of stabbing anyone, honestly, from France's perspective, though he desperately wants land.

Italy does something

shocking

So, something I've realised as I looked at what's going on... Life's gonna take Turkey along with me. But I need to move units back to stop Germany. Life takes the rest of Turkey, and due to completely surrounding him, also manages to take Austria Hungary. Guess what? He's now at 11-13 SCs, in a strong and easily defendable position, and about to take the rest of the Balkans states and probably move on Russia. Then guess how many SCs he has? 15-16. Meanwhile, Lightning gets a little of Scandinavia, Life easily holds Anouleth off, and generally, Life gets into a strong, almost game winning position.

But I guess that's okay with you guys, because it gets rid of Russia and it's vulnerable position, right?

Italy is easy to defend from an eastern attack, but it's much more vulnerable to a western one, especially considering that Anoleuth is much stronger than Life at the moment, and he's only going to get stronger once he gets the rest of England. Yes, getting rid of you puts Life in a very nice position and he's likely to win, but you forced us into that position. :/

Edited by Ninji

I really didn't. Life forced you into that position by spreading lies about what was going on. You excluded since you didn't have much of a choice. In fact, just Germany really. Which is a doubly strange move since he basically could have taken Western Europe with my help had he kept our alliance, and it would have been one of us to win or at least him finishing strong second, and 2nd/7 is pretty good, much better than the 5th I'm going to make him come if he doesn't retreat.

I'm just laughing at what's going on. I love how you're all discussing my situation without me having any input.

So, something I've realised as I looked at what's going on... Life's gonna take Turkey along with me. But I need to move units back to stop Germany. Life takes the rest of Turkey, and due to completely surrounding him, also manages to take Austria Hungary. Guess what? He's now at 11-13 SCs, in a strong and easily defendable position, and about to take the rest of the Balkans states and probably move on Russia. Then guess how many SCs he has? 15-16. Meanwhile, Lightning gets a little of Scandinavia, Life easily holds Anouleth off, and generally, Life gets into a strong, almost game winning position.

1. Austria and I are buddies right now since you and Turkey decided to gang up on him. Hence me supporting him into Vienna (which bounced). I'm not going to annex him for a long while and you know that.

2. Our relationship started off with a promising of a Balkan split by something like 1908 (considering that Turkey and Austria both have to go down for us to feel happy), did it not? And I've always been willing to keep this agreement. You attempting to take Austria early changed this for the good.

3. You stabbing Turkey right after helping him (I admit that I had a part in that one but I started gunning for Turkey when he left a Lepanto wide open) means that you deserve to lose ground in the north. If only you weren't so preoccupied with trying to gain central Europe (AKA moving to Silesia and retreating to Bohemia in Spring 1902), you could have avoided this problem with Germany. Consider yourself screwed over in the process.

I probably won't win this game. If anything, this will probably end up in a 3 way or 2 way tie (me and France/Germany considering who offers me a better deal since landwise, I'm the swingvote here). And if France and Germany team up and try to take me out after you bite the dust, neither will be able to dig me out of my burrow. That's just a little friendly warning to France and Germany.

Edited by Cthulhu

I really didn't. Life forced you into that position by spreading lies about what was going on. You excluded since you didn't have much of a choice. In fact, just Germany really. Which is a doubly strange move since he basically could have taken Western Europe with my help had he kept our alliance, and it would have been one of us to win or at least him finishing strong second, and 2nd/7 is pretty good, much better than the 5th I'm going to make him come if he doesn't retreat.

Were we just supposed to let you take the Balkans and not say anything? As it is, you're sitting on ~10 supply centers to his ~5, so I feel much more sympathetic towards him than you.

I'm going to say this right now and I don't regret a word of it.

Lightning's probably played the best of us as for what I can see on the map. Yes, I personally think that letting Austria go down is a bad mistake. But he managed to take 3 SCs without any competition. I had to lie, cheat and steal for my 2nd. I don't know what he's doing Diplomacy wise, but whatever it was, fuck it worked.

I'm going to say this right now and I don't regret a word of it.

Lightning's probably played the best of us as for what I can see on the map. Yes, I personally think that letting Austria go down is a bad mistake. But he managed to take 3 SCs without any competition. I had to lie, cheat and steal for my 2nd. I don't know what he's doing Diplomacy wise, but whatever it was, fuck it worked.

Drawing Germany helps a lot. Sitting right next to three supply centers will obviously make it easier to expand.

Aww, dammit. I just realized convoying doesn't work how I thought it does. What I thought could happen was convoying Berlin to Latvia, then the army could move after that to Moscow and it would've been super special awesome. :(

... Still, I don't think I'll lose as horribly as I thought I would at first, so I succeeded my own expectations. I guess.

gotta change my orders

@Life: Holy shit a complement from Life.

... I actually think the reason I got 3 so easily was because I played friendly to everyone since I was clueless at first, and people probably assumed it'd be easy to backstab me because I'm not exactly known here for bright thinking.

Edited by Luka Megurine

Drawing Germany helps a lot. Sitting right next to three supply centers will obviously make it easier to expand.

Go back to Autumn 1901. You could have taken Belgium or at least bounced Lightning out of it had you aimed for it. And Lightning ends up with it without fighting you? Some damn nice diplomacy right there.

I'm sitting on 7 to 5, actually, except he has a much more easily defended position.

1. Austria and I are buddies right now since you and Turkey decided to gang up on him. Hence me supporting him into Vienna (which bounced). I'm not going to annex him for a long while and you know that.

2. Our relationship started off with a promising of a Balkan split by something like 1908 (considering that Turkey and Austria both have to go down for us to feel happy), did it not? And I've always been willing to keep this agreement. You attempting to take Austria early changed this for the good.

3. You stabbing Turkey right after helping him (I admit that I had a part in that one but I started gunning for Turkey when he left a Lepanto wide open) means that you deserve to lose ground in the north. If only you weren't so preoccupied with trying to gain central Europe (AKA moving to Silesia and retreating to Bohemia in Spring 1902), you could have avoided this problem with Germany. Consider yourself screwed over in the process.

1: Where are you planning to go after Turkey, then? Just work around him? I don't think so. I think he knows that.

2: Our relationship started with you knowing and watching me attack Austria. So that's completely wrong.

3: When and where did I lose ground in the north? Yes, I left things open to Germany, but it left his side unthreatened. It's something called an alliance. My strategy did assume he wasn't going to stab me since it would be a suboptimal move for him, but I didn't factor in you swaying his decision. As for Central Europe, again, what would you have suggested or expected me to move considering I had an alliance with Germany and Turkey? Make an alliance with Austria as well and sit there on my hands? Stab Turkey with my one southern fleet? Move into Germany suicidally? I did the only real move I could do, and I made ground in the process.

In fact, the largest lie Life seems to be spreading here is the subtle 'Russia is too big' one. Which is a total fabrication, Russia is hard to defend otherwise and I'm barely larger than Italy, Germany and France.

1: Where are you planning to go after Turkey, then? Just work around him? I don't think so. I think he knows that.

I was dead as soon as you and WoMC attacked me. My purpose at this point is to be as annoying to you and WoMC as physically possible and hopefully squeeze out a few SCs in the process so I can at least look a little more threatening. Life has all of my home SCs surrounded at this point, so yeah, there's not much I can do once you're gone, but I would be content letting Life win this one.

Edited by Ninji

I was dead as soon as you and WoMC attacked me. My purpose at this point is to be as annoying to you and WoMC as physically possible and hopefully squeeze out a few SCs in the process so I can at least look a little more threatening. Life has all of my home SCs surrounded at this point, so yeah, there's not much I can do once you're gone, but I would be content letting Life win this one.

Yeah, his ONE ARMY in Tyrolia is totally going to singlehandedly hold off the Russian Hordes and somehow take Trieste? Even if you didn't have three Russian armies breathing down your neck, he can't just march in with one unit and annex it all.

And he's never going to make more armies? He already has 4 navies. Having a strong navy as Italy is essential, yeah, but if you're going to win a game of Diplomacy, you need a strong army, too. End of story. I've yet to see one game where a navy won it alone. As soon as he's actually able to produce armies, he'll kill me much faster than Russia ever could, because I won't have anyone on my side. I'll try to stop him, don't get me wrong, but I'm aware of the inevitability of my defeat.

This isn't a thread to France but Marseilles does say hi. As does the entirety of the Western Mediterranean. Whoever offers me the best deal enjoys the fruits of their labour. And Sevastopol looks mighty fine to roost in. Maybe Germany wants a pincer attack on you?

2: Our relationship started with you knowing and watching me attack Austria. So that's completely wrong.

Bullshit and you know it. I told you that I was going to attempt a Lepanto and taking the Black Sea ASAP would be a very nice help along with a move to Armenia. Then Autumn 1901 came and I decided against it, mostly because you clearly wanted the Balkans. Then Spring 1902 arrived and it just looked so tempting. But I know that I was always encouraging you to go south instead of west. And you supported Bulgaria into Serbia while I started raging.

You've been digging your own grave since we started. Had you gone south, we could have had a lasting alliance. Yet you've pissed me off too many times.

3: When and where did I lose ground in the north? Yes, I left things open to Germany, but it left his side unthreatened. It's something called an alliance. My strategy did assume he wasn't going to stab me since it would be a suboptimal move for him, but I didn't factor in you swaying his decision. As for Central Europe, again, what would you have suggested or expected me to move considering I had an alliance with Germany and Turkey? Make an alliance with Austria as well and sit there on my hands? Stab Turkey with my one southern fleet? Move into Germany suicidally? I did the only real move I could do, and I made ground in the process.

I never spoke to Germany about attacking you. Hell, aside from creating a non-aggression pact about keeping the Sudetenland demilitarized. Which I had to knowingly break to help Austria from YOUR attack.

In fact, the largest lie Life seems to be spreading here is the subtle 'Russia is too big' one. Which is a total fabrication, Russia is hard to defend otherwise and I'm barely larger than Italy, Germany and France.

Is it really a coincidence that both of your possible allies have been attacked by you? Or should we not fear the big bad bear?

This isn't a thread to France but Marseilles does say hi. As does the entirety of the Western Mediterranean. Whoever offers me the best deal enjoys the fruits of their labour. And Sevastopol looks mighty fine to roost in. Maybe Germany wants a pincer attack on you?

Oh, right. That one square of land and one sea square. Of course, I forgot about that.

Bullshit and you know it. I told you that I was going to attempt a Lepanto and taking the Black Sea ASAP would be a very nice help along with a move to Armenia. Then Autumn 1901 came and I decided against it, mostly because you clearly wanted the Balkans. Then Spring 1902 arrived and it just looked so tempting. But I know that I was always encouraging you to go south instead of west. And you supported Bulgaria into Serbia while I started raging.

Autumn 1901? You mean when I'd already told you I was moving towards Austria. And while I constantly told you I had an alliance with Turkey and wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to do? You mean that one?

You've been digging your own grave since we started. Had you gone south, we could have had a lasting alliance. Yet you've pissed me off too many times.

By not following your orders to the letter. Do I need to remind you that on one occasion you tried to make me do FOUR specific things, some of which tied up multiple units?

I never spoke to Germany about attacking you. Hell, aside from creating a non-aggression pact about keeping the Sudetenland demilitarized. Which I had to knowingly break to help Austria from YOUR attack.

You mean asides from:

Dear Austria, Germany, France and England: Stop fighting NOW.

What we need to do is form a wall against Russia and Turkey. Support each other if you have to. France, do NOT attack anyone right now. This is serious since if you guys fuck up, we're all doomed.

and

Germany: WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING LETTING AUSTRIA GO UNDER LIKE THAT?! IF AUSTRIA GOES, YOU AND I ARE NEXT UP.

But that's okay. Neither of these hint that you want Germany to attack Russia!

Is it really a coincidence that both of your possible allies have been attacked by you? Or should we not fear the big bad bear?

Let me check who I attacked? Austria. Because I wanted to honor my alliance with Turkey and he was the easiest target. Turkey. Because my hand was forced by you getting Germany and the others to rally against me. So... what are you even trying to imply here?

It's not my fault everyone wanted to start another game with someone subbing in for me because they thought I was playing terrible (Life included). Well, maybe it its, but that's besides the point that I didn't want to be kicked out. Instead I listened to the guy who didn't want me to get him killed so he could play longer and I didn't get kicked out of my first game of Diplomacy and be even more laughable.

... Basically it's all Life's fault. :D

before life rages at me i hold the double standard that i expect other people to understand sarcasm even when i don't

Edited by Luka Megurine