Best/Worst in the Series: Round 67

NinjaMonkey

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could just abuse the tower for that.

With the tower taken out, that is.

Or at least towerkills and Skirmish kills don't count towards total kill count.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Even Astrid x Makalov has more going for it. She's clearly (for whatever crazy reason) attracted to him in her PoR support convos and they even start RD together. Having them end up married if you get them an A support is hardly surprising. Ike x Soren is never mentioned in the game that way, so suggesting anything of the sort is absolutely out of the blue.

To be completely fair, Ike/Soren would never be mentioned in the game that way because no same-sex couples in Fire Emblem are. Homosexuality is a tough subject for most people, especially when it comes to video games, and Fire Emblem can't afford to start controversy with it, just like any other video game franchise. Same-sex couples need to be under the radar enough to keep the moral guardians quiet (... even though sometimes I wonder how some things just slip by - lol Paul and Jasmine).

Anyway. The point is, you can say any same-sex couple in Fire Emblem is a crack pairing just because they are never mentioned in that way, even when their relationship is more developed than some heterosexual couples. It's unfair. There is a difference between couples like Ike/Soren or Raven/Lucius and couples like... Hector/Eliwood or Ogma/Navarre, which truly are crack pairings (... as fun as it is to talk about them gee_wiz_emoticon.gif).

But I do agree with Big Klingy about the fangirls who pair two guys because of looks even when they hate each other, or even worse, barely know each other at all. It's annoying and it discredits same-sex couples as a whole (I mean, the crack pairings I mentioned above at least make SOME sense). That doesn't seem to be the case with Ike/Soren, though.

Even Astrid x Makalov has more going for it. She's clearly (for whatever crazy reason) attracted to him in her PoR support convos and they even start RD together.

To be honest, if Marcia dies (and even somewhat if she doesn't), Makalov is actually pretty...pitiable(?) in the C PoR conversation. He then screws it up, though, in B, only to sort of redeem himself in A. In the end it isn't actually too far-fetched. I could almost see Astrid reasonably falling for him if he at least had a better face and hair. And dropped the gambling and drinking obsessions. And stopped being such an ass....Yeah, maybe not. It would still be pretty crazy.

It's just people that want to see that type of thing who create this fiction in their minds to make themselves happy.

exhibit A is down below.

To be completely fair, Ike/Soren would never be mentioned in the game that way because no same-sex couples in Fire Emblem are. Homosexuality is a tough subject for most people, especially when it comes to video games, and Fire Emblem can't afford to start controversy with it, just like any other video game franchise. Same-sex couples need to be under the radar enough to keep the moral guardians quiet (... even though sometimes I wonder how some things just slip by - lol Paul and Jasmine).

Anyway. The point is, you can say any same-sex couple in Fire Emblem is a crack pairing just because they are never mentioned in that way, even when their relationship is more developed than some heterosexual couples. It's unfair. There is a difference between couples like Ike/Soren or Raven/Lucius and couples like... Hector/Eliwood or Ogma/Navarre, which truly are crack pairings (... as fun as it is to talk about them gee_wiz_emoticon.gif).

But I do agree with Big Klingy about the fangirls who pair two guys because of looks even when they hate each other, or even worse, barely know each other at all. It's annoying and it discredits same-sex couples as a whole (I mean, the crack pairings I mentioned above at least make SOME sense). That doesn't seem to be the case with Ike/Soren, though.

invent any wacky excuse possible to make the pairing make sense when it doesn't. Check.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

invent any wacky excuse possible to make the pairing make sense when it doesn't. Check.

My point is that it's unfair to say a same-sex pairing makes little sense because it's not explicit; in those cases, it would never be. I didn't play FE9/10, so there might be plenty of more valid reasons to say Ike/Soren doesn't make sense than "the game never mentions it in that way", but my point never was to specifically defend Ike/Soren. INo need to be bitchy about it. emo13.gif

To be honest, if Marcia dies (and even somewhat if she doesn't), Makalov is actually pretty...pitiable(?) in the C PoR conversation. He then screws it up, though, in B, only to sort of redeem himself in A. In the end it isn't actually too far-fetched. I could almost see Astrid reasonably falling for him if he at least had a better face and hair. And dropped the gambling and drinking obsessions. And stopped being such an ass....Yeah, maybe not. It would still be pretty crazy.

Well, if you consider their actions towards each other was unlike what they had usually been treated by... I suppose that's how it even worked at all in the first place... :huh:

Best: Ilyana x Zihark. Honorable mention to Rolf x Marcia and Oscar x Tanith.

Worst: Hector x Florina is kind of... weird.

And about Ike x Soren, imagine if Soren was a girl. Don't change any in-game text (except gender pronouns referring to Soren, obviously), just Soren's gender. The pairing would probably be considered canon. But because they're both guys, it's a crack pairing.

My point is that it's unfair to say a same-sex pairing makes little sense because it's not explicit; in those cases, it would never be. I didn't play FE9/10, so there might be plenty of more valid reasons to say Ike/Soren doesn't make sense than "the game never mentions it in that way", but my point never was to specifically defend Ike/Soren. INo need to be bitchy about it. emo13.gif

But then you could claim pretty much any pair of two male best friends in video games are gay for each other. Any moment of closeness you could then claim "Oh, they are in a romantic relationship but the game can't say that since it might cause controversy so they just did this". But then how can two males ever have just a close friendship in a VG? Is it impossible?

And about Ike x Soren, imagine if Soren was a girl. Don't change any in-game text (except gender pronouns referring to Soren, obviously), just Soren's gender. The pairing would probably be considered canon. But because they're both guys, it's a crack pairing.

So apparently it's impossible for a male and a female to be close friends without it being romantic, too.

Gee, guess only two females can be good friends and everyone else has to keep at arm's length in order to prevent misconceptions.

Edited by Narga_Rocks