Generic FEditor Animation Question

Alastemeister

'lo. Noob Hacking Question Corner time!

So I'm trying to insert an animation - It's just a head edit of Guy's Myrmidon sprite. I've dumped the sheets, and edited them in paint. But there were two extra files, one without a filetype, and another with frame data (.dmp).

I tried inserting the type-less file, but it just comes out with good ol' Guy. On frame 1F and 20, though, the edited head shows up - but only for those two frames.

Should I separate the Dump Information from other ones? Do I somehow edit the type-less file? And what about the unarmed animations?

Massive thanks in advance!

You should call the serial file ".ca" or something meaningful (I prefer .ca myself) but otherwise the only thing in it you should touch is the palette data, if that. I call it the "serial file" because that's what it is - a file that is a serialization of the animation (using Java's serialization format, whatever that is). The file holds references to the other files in the directory it is dumped to so that they can be excluded from the file for manual editing. It should do this with palettes too but I sort of wasn't thinking; fortunately you can still easily edit the palettes anyway (they're stored at the very end of the file as the last 0x80 bytes).

Unarmed animations typically are separate animations altogether. As for your other problems I have no idea.

You should call the serial file ".ca" or something meaningful (I prefer .ca myself) but otherwise the only thing in it you should touch is the palette data, if that. I call it the "serial file" because that's what it is - a file that is a serialization of the animation (using Java's serialization format, whatever that is). The file holds references to the other files in the directory it is dumped to so that they can be excluded from the file for manual editing. It should do this with palettes too but I sort of wasn't thinking; fortunately you can still easily edit the palettes anyway (they're stored at the very end of the file as the last 0x80 bytes).

Unarmed animations typically are separate animations altogether. As for your other problems I have no idea.

Thanks, I managed to get the animations to work!

Now I need to figure out how to get that sword outta' his hands, and I'm good. I'll just look up a palette editing tutorial, because I heard it's not supposed to be hard.

Thanks again.