Drafting Tournaments Explained

Integrity

It's more an effect of more other free units, but when in the list of picks you're eventually getting four or five GMs, the fourth/fifth string GM barely has an impact in Part 3.

You are not going to have 4 or 5 GMs in 3-1 or 3-3.

Did you even consider it in the first place?

No, I hadn't thought of doing something like that. In all honesty, making Herons free still sounds like a better idea, but I am curious as to other people's opinions on this.

In other news, Yet another Radiant Dawn Draft (27106) has finished drafting. I hosted but did not participate.

1. Mercenary Raven: Zihark, Elincia, Shinon, Janaff, Naesala, Giffca, Tauroneo, Danved, Oliver.

2. Nytefahr: Edward, Nephenee, Marcia, Ulki, Calill, Caineghis, Rhys, Vika, Kyza.

3. GreenOyster: Jill, Nailah, Brom, Rolf, Skrimir, Mist, Stefan, Gareth, Pelleas.

4. Xander: Titania, Ilyana, Gatrie, Nealuchi, Heather, Leonardo, Lucia, Fiona, Makalov.

5. Elmer: Aran, Mia, Laura, Mordecai, Ranulf, Astrid, Volke, Ena, Kurthnaga.

6. Ring Wraith: Volug, Oscar, Soren, Tibarn, Kieran, Meg, Muarim, Renning, Bastian.

7. Soul: Nolan, Boyd, Tanith, Sigrun, Sanaki, Lethe, Nasir, Tormod, Lyre.

I find it hilarious that Kyza and Makalov went after Kurthnaga. And how Soul got Nolan 7th pick.

Edited by Radiant Kitty

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hilarious that Kyza and Makalov went after Kurthnaga. And how Soul got Nolan 7th pick.

HOW.

Also, logged.

That's why I think he should only be free in 1-1.

Because he was the 7th pick <_<? He's still better than some of the units that were drafted before him (particularly Aran), so it's not a big deal.

You are not going to have 4 or 5 GMs in 3-1 or 3-3.

You're missing the point.

No, I hadn't thought of doing something like that. In all honesty, making Herons free still sounds like a better idea, but I am curious as to other people's opinions on this.

I'd think most other units would be preferable over heron types as free units since heron types' values are vague and so make drafting more interesting.

HOW.

Also, logged.

Nolan is underrated by n00b players, to be blunt.

"AGSGFSA HE KEEPS GETTING BAD SPD AND CANT HIT". Hush. Those growthsaverages don't lie.

Oh yeah, I could've gotten Makalol, but I just couldn't leave Lyre behind.

Edited by Angru Mainya

Nolan is underrated by n00b players, to be blunt.

"AGSGFSA HE KEEPS GETTING BAD SPD AND CANT HIT". Hush. Those growthsaverages don't lie.

Oh yeah, I could've gotten Makalol, but I just couldn't leave Lyre behind.

No, I am pretty sure that is not the case.

Zihark has a better start and inferior but comparable part 3/4, so drafting him first is not a surprise.

Edward is better than Zihark, so if Zihark isn't a surprise, same thing here.

Jill is a bit worse in part 1 but the best DB draftee for part 3 and 4 quite easily.

Titania is probably the best draftee under the current ruleset, to be honest. If anything I'm surprised she wasn't first choice.

Aran is the real surprise here as he has pretty much no advantages on Nolan. Even his durability is actually kind of problematic until he grows into it, at which point Nolan is durable enough himself.

Volug is in a similar position to Zihark, though probably a bit better than him.

So in the end, I think it was more a matter of preference and some of the other choices possibly being better as well.

The Tellius Draft #2 (27161) has finished drafting:

1. Xander: Jill, Mia, Volug, Elincia, Janaff, Shinion, Tibarn, Sanaki, Heather, Gareth, Oliver.

2. Oval: Boyd, Nephenee, Zihark, Rhys, Nailah, Makalov, Naesala, Nealuchi, Vika, Lyre, Bastian.

3. Paperkitty: Marcia, Edward, Gatrie, Soren, Aran, Ranulf, Astrid, Griffca, Stafan, Nasir, Geoffrey (PoR).

4. NTNP: Haar, Nolan, Mordecia, Kieran, Calill, Ulki, Skrimir, Rolf, Leonardo, Renning, Largo.

5. Radiant Kitty: Oscar, Ilyana, Maurim, Brom, Meg, Sigrun, Devdan, Caineghis, Ena, Volke, Pelleas.

6. Red Fox of Fire: Titania (RD), Tanith, Lethe, Mist, Laura, Tormod, Tauroneo, Lucia, Fiona, Kyza, Kurthnaga.

PegKnightLover has finished the KP FE10 HM Draft in 318 turns.

Edit: I was the last one to post here? Oops... Sorry about that.

Edited by Radiant Kitty

I see it as a project thread, which makes double-posts allowable. Fox may not, but I figure I might miss the second bit of information if it's just edited in.

Regardless, thanks.

I see it as a project thread, which makes double-posts allowable. Fox may not, but I figure I might miss the second bit of information if it's just edited in.

Regardless, thanks.

I guess it could be considered a community project thread. Either way I generally only think double posting is really a problem when there's hardly any time between the posts (like 10 minutes or something) and RK's posts had about 3 hours. I do that myself often enough in draft threads. Though if it was during a down time where there's hardly anyone on to see the original post anyway, editing is preferred.

I am once again the last one to post in here... But I don't want people to miss an edit... Looks like I'm double posting again... *sigh*

I've been considering the merits of having the Herons and Geoffrey free for RD drafts, and I've been starting to worry that Geoffrey being free too greatly devalues the rest of the CRK, since he can easily solo their chapters. Therefore, I want to propose a slightly different ruleset:

Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, Black Knight and Lehran free, Haar banned, everyone else (67 units total) drafted. This gives us some options for the number of participants:

A: 6 drafters, each get 11 units, leave the leftover unit as either undrafted or free for all (I'm leaning towards undrafted, but I doubt it'd make much of a difference either way).

B: 7 drafters, each get 10 picks, and we add 3 'perks' like Weapons suggested (such as '- X amount of turns', or 'You may use one undrafted character in one chapter without penalty', or something).

C: 7 drafters, each get 9 units, add the Herons back on the free list, and leave the leftover unit undrafted or free for all (again leaning towards undrafted here).

I want to hear other people's thoughts on what, if anything, should be done. Also, what do people think of extending the 3-3 exception (allowing one undrafted, 6-move unit to be free) to 3-1 and allowing one undrafted, non-Lucia unit for 2-2? I noticed these did not make it onto Integrity's list of exceptions in the OP.

Nothing got changed because the discussion was sort of aborted without, in my eyes, a clear resolution.

I'll have to echo Fox here. Why not make the Herons free? Is it only to make more perfect draft numbers?

EDIT: One free non-Lu for 2-2 sounds fine to me. I'm still undecided on 3-1, though.

Edited by Integrity

Frankly, it's impossible without retarded crit luck for most combinations of Ike + one unit. I think Ike + any two solid Mercs (or one good and one bad, Boyd/Rolf) could handle the initial spawn with a bit of applied thought which is why I'm still on the fence about meatshielding versus one free unit. I know from experience with a little luck and planning Ike and Boyd or Ike and Titania can take the chapter without letting any other units see combat, but Ike and Oscar couldn't.