Fathers of characters (Spoilers?)

VincentASM

Just a random observation, but I found it amusing how, in general, the father of the main character usually dies during the storyline.

FE1/3: Marth's father, Cornelius, is killed before the game begins

FE2: Arum kills his father, Rudolf

FE4: Sigurd's father, Vylon, dies and then Sigurd (Celice's father) goes and dies himself

FE5: Leaf's father, Cuan, dies before the game begins (although you see his death in FE4)

FE6: Roy got lucky

FE7: Eliwood's father, Elbert, dies

FE8: Eirika and Ephraim's father, Fado, dies

FE9: Ike's father, Greil, dies

FE10: Don't know about Micaiah's father

Yeah, I was bored >___

I never noticed that trend but you are absolutely right. I wonder if making use of fatherless characters is formulaic for the series or if it just happens as a result of trying to make it easier for the player to better appreciate and sympathize with the characters' backgrounds. I agree with Hanz in that the use of orphans can make for an engaging story. This is especially true if the loss of a parent or parents is relevant to the storyline as were notably the case with Fire Emblem 7 and 8.

then going even further:

in fe8, lyon's dad was killed by disease, joshua's mom got iced by caellach, i assume something happened to la'arachel's parents since she lives with her uncle. but innes and tana were lucky.

roy was lucky, but lilina wasnt -_-, and in FE10 peleas really WAS an orphan.

I always joked a bit about characters who died of an illness, saying it was none other than Sucky-Leader Syndrome <3

• 2 weeks later...

Not to mention Eliwood's mother had probably died in the 20 years between FE7 and FE6.

Not really surprised, her head looked as though it could come off any minute anyway.