ThatGuyDownTheStreet's Sprite Topic

ThatGuyDownTheStreet

Ported from SoS.

Alright, I already gave my basic comments in SF, but I'm too lazy to go there so Imma post this here.

Let's begin with that axe icon.

169m4n7.jpg

On the left is my version of the axe, and yours is on the right (note: I'm not saying mine is better, I'm just using it as a comparison for the purpose of enhancing the critique). In both normal and 4x flavors.

Now as I said on SF, the colors look fairly dull and just not eye-catching. If you see on mine, I added several different colors, creating contrast and a slight shine on the blade.

Blue: This is too dark, basically. Axes generally have a kind of shine on the tip of the blade, and yours is missing that.

Green: What kind of handle is that?

Red: The handle shouldn't be all one color. Try adding some brighter/darker colors to add some contrast.

The sword I'll do later.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...You are really gonna drag me away from my tomes just to critique this aren't you...

dg5jsy.jpg

Okay, once again icon on the left is yours, icon on the right is mine. In both normal and 4x flavors.

There are about a million complaints I have about the blade and the hilt right now, but their mostly personal. I think the hilt is too small for the width of the blade, which means that the shading is going to suck, especially with this color scheme. Secondly, bland bland bland bland. Use brighter colors.

Now then:

Blue: That was a mistake and I was too lazy to fix it. Ignore.

Red: You have just reminded me how much I hate trying to color a blade a certain color. The way you did it just made the blade look flat and uninteresting. As you see, my version had stripes of color, instead of just totally running down the blade. This keeps the shading intact.

Edited by Camtech075

...You are really gonna drag me away from my tomes just to critique this aren't you...

dg5jsy.jpg

Okay, once again icon on the left is yours, icon on the right is mine. In both normal and 4x flavors.

There are about a million complaints I have about the blade and the hilt right now, but their mostly personal. I think the hilt is too small for the width of the blade, which means that the shading is going to suck, especially with this color scheme. Secondly, bland bland bland bland. Use brighter colors.

Now then:

Blue: That was a mistake and I was too lazy to fix it. Ignore.

Red: You have just reminded me how much I hate trying to color a blade a certain color. The way you did it just made the blade look flat and uninteresting. As you see, my version had stripes of color, instead of just totally running down the blade. This keeps the shading intact.

Thanks again, though you don't have to come here to do this every time. Also, I suggest not making one of your own and showing it to me mainly 'cause I'll be tempted to copy it, though I don't like to steal other peoples work. I'll come back with an edit.

Thanks again, though you don't have to come here to do this every time. Also, I suggest not making one of your own and showing it to me mainly 'cause I'll be tempted to copy it, though I don't like to steal other peoples work. I'll come back with an edit.

Actually, I'm grateful for this, because it motivates me to make icons instead of just slacking off and doing bad tomes.

And despite the fact that I say it's my version all I do is edit yours. So you could take it from me and I wouldn't really mind. :P

WeaponIcons-4.png

The updated gold sword does the tinted edge much better than mine did, congrats. Although I still say that the hilt is still not wide enough.

The bow, on the other hand, looks too FE5-like. I suggest making it much less angular.

I'd do a full critique on that but I hate making bows.

Actually, I'm grateful for this, because it motivates me to make icons instead of just slacking off and doing bad tomes.

And despite the fact that I say it's my version all I do is edit yours. So you could take it from me and I wouldn't really mind. :P

The updated gold sword does the tinted edge much better than mine did, congrats. Although I still say that the hilt is still not wide enough.

The bow, on the other hand, looks too FE5-like. I suggest making it much less angular.

I'd do a full critique on that but I hate making bows.

Thank you very much for doing what you have done so far. Your tomes are actually very good, but they obviously have their limits to the designs they can get. I'll probably work on the bow tomorrow.

Thank you very much for doing what you have done so far. Your tomes are actually very good, but they obviously have their limits to the designs they can get.

Heh, stop flattering me. First in SoS now here.

But seriously, I think you have a lot of potential. These icons are fairly good, usually just missing a few things that just look off and the shine factor (which, to my knowledge, only Astra and Lord Glenn have actually managed to master).

Go enter the competition and beat the shit out of me so I can stop letting your comments inflate my ego

There's no real point in blowing up and redlining that (because tomes are mostly subjective), but it looks a little bland. Maybe add some white/gray tiles?

Don't forget, Cam: Shaver is a D-rank tome in FE12 (which looks to be the base icon). As such, it is permitted to fall into the bland and unimpressive category. I mean, just look at Fire in FE6/7/8. (Even though Fire is E-rank and not D-rank, the concept behind the comparison still remains.)

As for the icon, from what I can tell without plentiful zooming and comparing (not at my own computer right now, so I can't even check), it looks like a palette-swapped Shaver. Provided that I'm not missing any other changes, to at least make the tome slightly different than the change of a simple palette, I'd suggest adding a border (purple or the black outline color, I'd suppose) over top of the outermost part of the dark green-shaded area. This will add a bit of contrast to the icon and make it "pop" a bit more. (A note, though: I suggest only replacing the dark green spots, not everything that falls along that rectangle. You don't want to lose the detail or any vital pieces of the wind blade.)

And, while I'm certainly not one that completely conforms to the existing GBAFE shading mechanics, the shading on the next to last icon (the sword) seems very... FE5-ish in nature. You might consider looking at some of the swords in FE6/7/8 to see their blade shading styles and see if the tweaks make the icon feel a little newer in age.

Something about the axe's shading stands out to me as well, but I'll need to zoom in to take a good look at that one, I think. Well, this is aside from the general semantics that axes usually have a "width" of two pixels for their handles as opposed to 1. Again, this is general and there are cases when they do have a "width" of 1 pixel (Quick Axe (FE12), for instance). I generally try to fit them in the two pixel width unless they absolutely won't fit in the 16x16 box, since they tend to look more menacing and, well, heavy with the increased handle. When I get back to my main computer, I'll try to remember to take a look at the axe and jot down some feedback.

EDIT - 4/4/11 11:48 PM EST: On the axe, the thing that irks me the most is how the light shading on the blade is limited to the upper half of the axe blade. I also feel that it could use more of the white shade in the light blue shade and the current lone white pixel on each side should probably be the light blue pixel instead. I'm not sure of your intended design for the axe, so I can't really provide much more than this. Normally, I'd suggest to make the axe blade extend further down, but again, since I don't know the intended goal of the icon, that might not make sense.

Not bad for a start, though. You seem to have the overall design concepts and fundamentals down pretty well, and everything else just goes along from there.

Edited by Lord Glenn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So after looking at the thread I made for which type of hack people mainly wanted, I came to the conclusion that almost everyone wants a full hack. So I started making some portraits. At one point, I was thinking of doing some FC's, but then I realized that suck too much to do that and I really don't feel like it either. So, I made a bunch of splices:

lotsofportraits.png

Critique and comments is much appreciated, or if you have any suggestions to future portraits that would be appreciated as well.

Did I?

There are only a few, the biggest one is I would move knight Rath's armor down and to the right to give him more neck, and a little less chest. You're splices are pretty good, but your colors really detract from some of them for me. Some of them look unnatural, while others I just don't like.

Edited by deranger

XD Great minds think alike I see well outside of color schemes XD

monk-1.png

And just for the hell of it since I never really showed him off before (I made this for Claude_C_Kenny)

evilcaelin.png

This was originally intended to be Kent's decedent following his unpaired ending of running Caelin under Ostia after Lyn abdicates to return to the plains.

Did I?

There are only a few, the biggest one is I would move knight Rath's armor down and to the right to give him more neck, and a little less chest. You're splices are pretty good, but your colors really detract from some of them for me. Some of them look unnatural, while others I just don't like.

I guess your right, I do some color tests when I'm editing these later on.

XD Great minds think alike I see well outside of color schemes XD

monk-1.png

And just for the hell of it since I never really showed him off before (I made this for Claude_C_Kenny)

evilcaelin.png

This was originally intended to be Kent's decedent following his unpaired ending of running Caelin under Ostia after Lyn abdicates to return to the plains.

Wow, that is just hilaurious. I actually made those two portraits 'cause I wanted a black-cloaked monk and a white-cloaked shaman. Those two are pretty good splices, you're getting much better at this.

^_^ Thanks

Wondering if I should replace my Ninian/Eleanor splice with this one for my personal mug

wip-2-6.png

It's up to you, if you feel as if you like this portrait over the other one, feel free to use that one as your personal portrait. If you don't feel as if you like this one over your other one, then you don't have to. Remember, no one is pressuring you to do one or the other and that it is okay to strive for what you want. :):

• 2 weeks later...