ThatGuyDownTheStreet's Sprite Topic

ThatGuyDownTheStreet

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just gonna copy the post I made in FEshrine in case you see this one first.

Second one looks good, maybe you should put some trees in the center and definitively try to make the mountain less straight, looks to unnatural. Also you put some of the cliffs backwards... I think unsure.gif.

In the first one you forgot to shade the wall (maybe you put the grass thinking it was shading) the part outside the village looks good but the inside is mayor tile spamming. Also the ruined village looks out of place. Why did you put some with different designs spread around like that?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but the ideas where pretty good and if you work on it you could be pretty good.

P.S. Tell how long you need to finish your map for the contest and I'll see if I can except it wink.gif .<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

I'm just gonna copy the post I made in FEshrine in case you see this one first.

Second one looks good, maybe you should put some trees in the center and definitively try to make the mountain less straight, looks to unnatural. Also you put some of the cliffs backwards... I think unsure.gif.

In the first one you forgot to shade the wall (maybe you put the grass thinking it was shading) the part outside the village looks good but the inside is mayor tile spamming. Also the ruined village looks out of place. Why did you put some with different designs spread around like that?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but the ideas where pretty good and if you work on it you could be pretty good.

P.S. Tell how long you need to finish your map for the contest and I'll see if I can except it wink.gif .<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

I didn't shade the wall because I remembered that I couldn't find the tile that is used to shade it, though I'll see if I can find it. IDK what you mean by backward cliffs. I also agree that the ruined village looks out of place, and I only put it there to take up space.

Anyways, thanks for the critique.

mappcorrected.jpg

That, the cliffs don't flow in the right direction. First you have the egde facing left but the ones I marked are facing right. Sorry I wasn't really sure how to explain that.

mappcorrected.jpg

That, the cliffs don't flow in the right direction. First you have the egde facing left but the ones I marked are facing right. Sorry I wasn't really sure how to explain that.

Oh, I didn't realize that before. I thought those were going the other way. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: Actually, I checked and the ones you have marked are facing left. IDK, for some reason it looks like it could go both ways.

Edited by ThatGuyDownTheStreet

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

fine i'll cc

first of all, it's so empty ._.

you used 4 pillars

it reeeeeeally could use something to clear up the space or just shrink the map down, like the bottom section seems entirely pointless

here

you have a height error as well, removing one flight of stairs would fix it

oh and there are a crapton of wall tiles, no need to spam one kind

Edited by Kitty of Time

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

fine i'll cc

first of all, it's so empty ._.

you used 4 pillars

it reeeeeeally could use something to clear up the space or just shrink the map down, like the bottom section seems entirely pointless

here

you have a height error as well, removing one flight of stairs would fix it

oh and there are a crapton of wall tiles, no need to spam one kind

I mainly the wall tiles there to have some variation, and to fill up the space. I always felt that pillars should be used scarcely, but I guess I'm wrong about that. Also, when you say remove one flight of stairs, do you just mean the stair tile or are you saying the stair tile and the wall tiles that are next to it? Just want to make sure I'm correctly interpreting what you're saying. Anyways, thanks for the critique.

I don't think the alternating floor tiles or the repetition of that...dramatic looking structure or whatever on the lower wall look good

The dramatic structure is a matter of opinion, I personally do like them. The repetition is because the wall has the same pattern every were, if you look it happens that the walls on top also repeat the same pattern. The alternating floor tiles are so that it doesn't look like he tile-spammed, but if you don't like the color it's because of the pallet (color scheme) not the alternating itself. (sorry if this sounded harsh)

I think the "dramatic structure" he's referring to is the wall pattern. I agree that it could probably use some spicing up. Feaw actually has a good compilation of a few different patterns to use.

Now, for my promised wall decoration/variety tutorial.

[spoiler=1 tile high walls.]walls1high.png

As you can see, there are a lot of possible patterns possible. Not all of them work for both ways (shaded or not shaded), but you can always improvise or use the different types according to the situation.

[spoiler=2 tile high walls.]walls2high.png

Now, it gets a little bit trickier. Some patterns just won't look right for 2 tiles high walls. But, there are still several possible ways to do them.

[spoiler=3 and 4 tile high walls.]walls34high.png

Now it gets even trickier. 3 tiles high walls can still be done in a few ways, but you have to think more.

As for the 4 tiles high walls... I only know 2 ways to get them done.

The right one is used in FE6's chapter 16. It cannot be used with shading since the big window tiles lack any shadowed tiles.

That's where the left version comes in. It's used in FE8's chapter 16. Although that one is only 3 tiles high, but I added the top row to make it 4.

This one CAN be used with shading, so you have almost no choice to use something like this for that situation.

Keep in mind, there are waaaaaay more possible patterns and ways to do walls, but I listed the most used ones. So be creative and make your own patterns to make your maps more interesting.

If you're having trouble, I recommend looking to the official maps from the games.

That's basically all there is.

The dramatic structure is a matter of opinion, I personally do like them. The repetition is because the wall has the same pattern every were, if you look it happens that the walls on top also repeat the same pattern. The alternating floor tiles are so that it doesn't look like he tile-spammed, but if you don't like the color it's because of the pallet (color scheme) not the alternating itself. (sorry if this sounded harsh)

The alternating tiles look just as spammy and empty as a non-alternating floor, because they overflow the map uselessly and ceaselessly. There's no real reason for them to be there other than taking up space, and that's bad design. Efficient use of the landscape--and avoiding dead space by way--is the way to good design. As it is, there's very little function in the map, which leaves very little to encourage the player along the map.

But that doesn't mean go to the opposite extreme and litter everything and narrow every corridor. That's even worse map design. You need to find that appreciable balance and emulate it, rather than force a map.

Edited by Celice

The alternating tiles look just as spammy and empty as a non-alternating floor, because they overflow the map uselessly and ceaselessly. There's no real reason for them to be there other than taking up space, and that's bad design. Efficient use of the landscape--and avoiding dead space by way--is the way to good design. As it is, there's very little function in the map, which leaves very little to encourage the player along the map.

But that doesn't mean go to the opposite extreme and litter everything and narrow every corridor. That's even worse map design. You need to find that appreciable balance and emulate it, rather than force a map.

Well I wouldn't say that the checkeboard design takes up space. It just replaces the original tiles for aesthetics. Next time I'll probably just use the checkerboard design in a smaller area, like a chest room or something like that.

I don't think the alternating floor tiles or the repetition of that...dramatic looking structure or whatever on the lower wall look good

The dramatic structure is a matter of opinion, I personally do like them.

imo

what is this i don't even "IMO" stands for "in my opinion"