First Attempt at a Fully Custom Sprite (WIP)

iavasechui

I am attempting a fully custom sprite of Elmina from Wild ARMs 1, I have never made anything besides splices before so I would appreciate any advice and critique from all you wonderful spriters ^_^

This is what I have so far:

progress-1.pngslightlymovedearrings.pngmoreprogress.pngbetterorworse.pngcurrent.pngshoulder.pngshoulder2.pngnearingcompletion.pngmoreshading-1.pnglesshair.png

And these are my reference images of Elmina:

art-elmina-artbook.jpgart-elmina.jpg

Edited by iavasechui

I think it might be too early to make any judgements. I know face sprites can change really quickly from beginning to end, especially complete customs.

At this current stage, the general shape looks fine to me. Some lines are kind of rough around the edges, but I'm assuming they'll be ironed out. Shading also helps to finish off the shapes.

Some more specific comments:

* The very top of the hair looks abnormally flat. It will probably look better with shading, but you might want to look into that.

* The left bang/flick of hair (from our POV) looks a bit too exaggerated to the left (well, it depends on how accurate you want to stick to the FE style). Similarly, her hair seems to flow too much to the right.

* Her right shoulder (our POV) looks a bit too right-angled. I think it should be slightly more curved, like in the artwork.

* The earings look slightly pillow-shaded, although it could be due to the lack of area to colour (and I'm not sure if you've finished it or not).

That said, I'm not really an avid spriter, so I'm don't really know how valid my comments are. Hope that helps anyway ^^;;;

Edited by VincentASM

^_^ Thank you very much, I'll see what I can do to fix it.

That bit of hair going to the left, I really need to work on, it's actually supposed to be a strand that got loose from her ponytail (which is tied so low that you can't really tell in the sprite that its in a ponytail) which is why its going the other way... XD but yeah I really need to work on it. I'm trying to shade the hair a bit using long haired sprites and elmina's official artwork for reference, hopefully it will help.

About the earrings, I'm not sure how I'm going to shade those, I think they look a bit pillow shaded too but they are so small its difficult figuring out how to get them to look right.... XD my friend told me they looked like fritos...

Bit of a minor update, attempting to shade some of the hair having difficulties with getting it to look right so I thought I'd let you guys see what I have so far... still haven't dared touch the face, I'm rather nervous about making the facial features so saving those for last if posible.

roughhairshading.pnghopefllyshadedbetter.png

XD also bonus from my sanity break a splice of Harken, Eliwood, and some boss from FE6, colors come from Eliwood and Matthew

cuteguyneedsname.png

Never got any feedback on my earlier attempt to shade her hair, does this look better or worse? ^__^; and any advice is most welcome. Also I'm not sure how to go about fixing the shoulder...

progresskinda.png

Edited by iavasechui

I'll try to smooth them out, I'm not the best at drawing and doing this with a touchpad royally sucks. ^__^ well at least I have paint.net and can abuse the heck out of layers. Hmm which characters do you think would work well as a reference?

• 2 weeks later...

Her face looks really off, but I'm afraid I don't know many suggestions on how to fix it.

To start with, you may want to look into the eye spacing. Right now, the eyes look too far apart from one another. Perhaps try aligning her left eye (our POV) closer to the blue vertical line here:

critique-iavasechui.png

Her mouth is positioned a bit too low. The nose also looks a bit off; maybe move that to the right a bit? I'm not that sure though... In general, her face looks a bit too wide, which isn't helped by the headband making her head look short (maybe compare with FE6 Roy's portrait).

Also, I'd change her hair so that it flows more along the curved blue lines that I drew up there. Even if you have tons of hair, it shouldn't flow too far away from the body.

Edited by VincentASM

I suggest moving her eyes, nose, mouth, and the bottom of her headband all up by one pixel. Then, pull the left eye (opv) in towards her other eye by one pixel. Then you'll need to reshape/thin out the left side of her face, and refine the shape of her chin (look at some female sprites for a good example of that.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully the shoulders look alright, began working on her clothes

nearingcompletion.pngmoreshading-1.pnglesshair.png

The main reason I took a break from the face is because everything I try to do to fix it makes it look 10 times worse -__-;

Edited by iavasechui

Looks good so far!:)

A couple of things though:

The earrings and necklace are very out-of-style. I believe that they should be the skin tones(Lighter tones for the earrings and darker tones for the pendent) to cut down on unnecessary colours. Also, use reference to help you shade everything.

I went in to Photoshop and made lines over your sprite to show you how I think the lines should be like(referencing the artwork):

GirlLinesFix.png

This is just my opinion so you may differ but it is there if you want something to go by!

*As you can see, I took out the brown at the bottom of the cape 'cause it is not there in the artwork.

Hope this helps. :)