Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

Life

Welcome to Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Or at least my run to break it to hell and back.

Lemme just quickly preface over this game. CoM is unofficially Kingdom Hearts 1.5. What I mean by this is that if you were to play Kingdom Hearts and then go directly into Kingdom Hearts 2, the entire first portion of the game would confuse you along with most of the rest of the storyline. For example, when you get to the final dungeon of the game, you'll see a room with thirteen graves of your enemies. If that enemy isn't dead, the grave is lit. But certain graves aren't lit up even though you haven't even faced those enemies... Oh wait, you do that in this game.

So yeah. From a story point of view, this game should have been called Kingdom Hearts 2. But it's not and for good reason since the current Kingdom Hearts 2 is one of the best games I've ever played.

Now, what makes this game special is that it is a card based game. Normally those suck (I'm looking at you, Lost Kingdoms) but developers have gotten cards right before. My personal opinion is that you have to make the entire game about the cards (story too) along with a good battle system to pull it off. Kudos to you KH:CoM and Baten Kaitos Origins for pulling it off, you're the only two games to do that.

Basically, Sora has a deck of cards which determine his attacks. Keyblades are for attacking with the Keyblade, Magic and Summons do what you think they would, Items reload certain things in your deck, Friend cards summon friends to the battle and Enemy cards add an effect to Sora. It's possible to run through a good 80% of the game with a shitty built deck but the later bosses get so hard that if you have no clue what you're doing when it comes to deck building, you're effectively toast (Hook, Dragon Maleficent, Riku IV and Marluxia I are the main bosses that I'm thinking of).

I've beaten this game completely before on both stories (Sora's and Riku's) so I know what I'm doing. That being said, I'm going to break this game into oblivion on this logged run. It's going to be a different style log, one based more on data. It's more designed for me to keep track of what I need to do to destroy any given section of Castle Oblivion. I'll go into detail on any new cards that pop up (not so much for Keys but everything else) and another things, though. I guess the best way to describe this run is "I'm basically giving an outline of how to beat this game with as little pain as possible". View it as a dondon151 style playthrough.

PS: I won't be grinding per say but I will start actively backtracking once Floor 7 rolls around. A certain card pops up then which doesn't force me to head back down the castle but let's just say that the rewards are more than worth it. Also, I will grind once a floor for Moogle Points but I will not force extra fights. Just a quick note. Because of the first thing, I will end up overleveled for a point in the game but it won't really matter (I'll explain why when the time comes).

PPS: I won't be giving screenshots (unlike FF6) and there will be no telling of the story here. If you want to know the story, either play the game (I suggest the PS2 version for 3D graphics) or read a guide.

PPPS: I haven't forgotten about FF6. But I need to grind for levels for a bit and this is designed to break the monotony of level grinding. So I will revert back to FF6 when I get to the right levels.

Floor 1 - Traverse Town

Note: You can't pick anything other than Traverse Town to be Floor 1 but even in Riku's mode, it's the easiest floor you'll come across. The Heartless here are the perfect definition of mooks and you can pick up some pretty decent stuff along the way (Shadow, Soldier, Red Nocturne and Blue Rhapsody are all nice for a little while with Soldier being the only noteworthy Enemy card here). The deck that you start with is quite terrible for the most part but make do with what you have. The listed deck is how I ordered the cards that I had when I started the floor. It does not reflect the final deck walking out.

Enemy Formations:

Shadow x3

Red Nocturne -> Shadow x2

Soldier -> Shadow x2

Shadow x2 -> Blue Rhapsody x2

Shadow x2 -> Soldier -> Soldier

Red Nocturne x2 -> Blue Rhapsody x2

Decks:

Mook:

4 Kingdom Key
1 Kingdom Key
5 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key
2 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key
2 Kingdom Key
5 Kingdom Key
3 Kingdom Key
3 Kingdom Key
5 Blizzard
7 Cure
4 Cure
6 Potion

Map:

[ ] [5] [6]
[ ] [4] [ ]
[ ] [3] [ ]
[1] [2]

Room Synthesis:

1 - Moment's Reprieve

2 - Tranquil Darkness

3 - Feeble Darkness

4 - Teeming Darkness

5 - Feeble Darkness

6 - Moment's Reprieve (automatic)

New Cards:

- Simba

- Guard Armour

Level Ups:

2 - Sleight (Sliding Dash)

3 - CP Boost (300)

4 - CP Boost (325)

5 - HP Boost (95)

6 - CP Boost (350)

Bosses:

Guard Armour - This guy is a joke. Literally. There's so many different ways to fry him even with your limited resources but it's basically impossible to lose. My strategy for quickly disposing him basically worked like this:

- Run his legs through with a couple of Sliding Dashes

- Eat through the rest of the deck minus the Potion

- Reload

- Turn on Shadow/Soldier (Soldier is better but I only had Shadow)

- Keyblade him to death and use Potion to reload when the counter hits 3 to save time

Like I said, he's an easy boss. If you lose to this guy, good luck getting through Dragon Maleficent (hardest non-character boss in the game).

Notes on Floor 1:

Sliding Dash - Sliding Dash is a decent sleight at best for even Traverse Town. It takes about 2 hits to kill Shadows which is absolutely pathetic. The nice thing is that it hits multiple enemies and is nice for getting from one side of the screen to the other. Abuse it here but drop it when better stuff shows up (AKA higher numbered attack cards).

Enemy Cards - Shadow, Red Nocturne and Blue Rhapsody are all nice cards to pick up but the one you want is the Soldier card. If you're going to use a Keyblade heavy deck, Soldier adds another swing to a combo for 3 Reloads. It makes micro-managing to make certain cards effective with an extra strike but it can be invaluable in shortening battles like Genie Jaffar or Cloud in the near future. If you don't pull anything on this floor, don't fret.

Donald & Goofy - These two friend cards are incredibly nice to have. Donald will double cast a basic spell (Fire/Blizzard/Thunder/Cure) while Goofy will bash stuff with his shield. Both are really nice to have at any point but the real gold comes from sleighting 3 Goofys for Goofy Tornado. If friend cards pop up often in a long battle, sleight them to do pretty hefty damage to everything around Sora.

Simba - Simba is great for earlygame sleights but if you're relying on him for damage going into Floor 5 and onwards, you're going to have problems. The best way to utilize Simba is to put him in your Mook deck rather than Boss simply because he's too pricey for boss battles (9 Simba costs 36 CP which is a bit of a rip-off when you realize that Cloud costs 7 more CP and blows Simba out of the water when it comes to power) and surprisingly, isn't amazingly accurate either. Proud Roar is nice for the stun and should cost about 74 CP if you've built it correctly (either 1/4/5 or 1/1/8) but remember to drop Simba as the game progresses.

Guard Armour - Guard Armour looks good simply because it's probably going to be your first enemy card. The truth is... it's not. I can't think of a single scenario outside of Parasite Cage where this card would be good and I wouldn't even field it for that battle simply because I can just force a Trick card to drop instead.

Floor 2 - Prelude

Decks:

Mook:                Boss:

2 Kingdom Key        0 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        0 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        5 Blizzard
3 Kingdom Key        1 Kingdom Key
5 Kingdom Key        5 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key        4 Kingdom Key
3 Kingdom Key        3 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        7 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        2 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        3 Kingdom Key
6 Simba              4 Kingdom Key
7 Cure               6 Kingdom Key
4 Cure               4 Kingdom Key
6 Potion             6 Kingdom Key
Shadow               4 Cure
                    7 Cure
                    6 Potion

New Cards:

- Fire

Bosses:

Axel - I love Axel. Honestly. As a character, I haven't met a single character who can match it (Raven from Tales of Vesperia and Guillo from Baten Kaitos Origins come close). Right now, you're only getting a glimpse of the real Axel since he outdoes himself in Kingdom Hearts 2. It's a pity that he has to die, to be honest.

Let's move onto this battle. Axel is the first character battle in this game and immediately puts up a good fight. He's pretty quick and has a Fire Wall sleight up his sleeve which can only be broken with a 0. That being said, Fire Wall isn't really that good of a sleight and Axel's chakrams don't do nearly as much as they should to scare you (you can dodge roll under the toss). He's also resistant to Fire while being weak to Ice so use that Blizzard card to put some serious hurt on the guy. If you need healing, save a Cure/Cura for when Axel is reloading his deck. Don't use Shadow in this battle, it turns your 0 cards into 1s and renders them useless. Also, don't bother with Sliding Dash, the damage from it truly is pitiful.

Notes:

World Cards - After beating Axel, you can pick the world that you want to go to. I'll do a quick runthrough of each place with its pros and cons.

• Halloween Town: You get a friend card in Jack Skellington but Oogie Boogie is annoying if you don't have at least 3 0 cards. The music is also kinda aggravating and Pumpkinhead is a pretty shitty Keyblade.
  • Agrabah: Aladdin is quite good as a friend card but both all three of your buddies are basically useless against Genie Jafar. You get Genie, Three Wishes Keyblade and Ether which are all decent (Three Wishes is actually a faster Olympia) but the Jafar Enemy Card makes up for that since it is the single best Enemy Card in the game in my opinion. I'll explain why later.
  • Wonderland: Unlike Guard Armour, Card Soldier is actually a really good Enemy Card. Trickmaster is pretty useless in Story Mode and the Lady Luck Keyblade is fast but meh.
  • Monstro - Finishing this place nets you the Parasite Cage, Dumbo and Wishing Star Keyblade which are all pretty good, especially Parasite Cage. It's also the single worst floor in the game because it's so boring.
  • Olympus Coliseum - Two words. Cloud Strife. While Hades is probably the hardest boss of the Set I Floors (and Cloud himself isn't a pushover), going here unlocks the Olympia Keyblade, Cloud, Hades Enemy Card and Hi Potion, all of which are fantastic.

Basically, the best order is Olympus Coliseum -> Agrabah -> Monstro/Wonderland -> Halloween Town simply for the cards you can unlock. This path makes both Hades and Cloud trickier bosses than usual but if you know how to fight them properly, you should be fine.

Fire - Fire is a better Magic card than Blizzard because it homes and it's present in better sleights with the most notable one being Mega Flare (Mushu/Fire/Fire). However, since it's also an element, it's completely useless against bosses who absorb fire attacks and one of those guys is coming right up.

Awesome game choice, I'm excited to see how you tackle the last couple of bosses in this game. I got the game back when it came out (my first KH game), and I've beaten Riku's story. Sora's story, however, I gave up and cheated (gameshark) after losing like once to Marluxia 1, because I just wanted to see the ending and move on to Riku's story. So I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about beating good old Marly. Hook also got me stuck for a few months, but I never had any trouble with the Dragon.

Now that I think about it, I should go back and play this game again; it's really awesome.

I'm just going to quickly mention the final bosses since you guys did.

Vexen II, Larxene II and Axel II are all pretty easy. Obviously there's more to "hit them with their weaknesses and break their sleights" but that's essentially what those battles come down to. Larxene doesn't have a weakness but that being said, she doesn't hit hard enough with a non-sleight attack and her deck has no staying power, if I recall correctly.

With regards to Riku IV and Marluxia I, Parasite Cage is an absolute must in your deck. And Oogie-Boogie for Riku IV is also not bad. You want to Dispel Sleightlock and Double Sleight as fast as possible. The battle's still winnable if you don't but Sleightlock is going to be an absolute nightmare since it lets Riku pull out 5 extra Dark Auras (as if the fact that I have to break that thing as fast as possible isn't good enough). I'm considering actually bringing along Zantetsuken to that battle and breaking his 9 cards permanently. That being said, I still have to beat the guy too.

Riku IV is one of the most ridiculous bosses ever. I once read this top 10 list on GameFAQs which was Top 10 Wake-Up Call Bosses. That refers to an earlygame boss that can actually cause a game over if you haven't been paying attention to the game (perfect example is Wendigo in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor). And even though Riku IV isn't an earlygame boss, I believe he should be on that list. Because with a pretty badly built deck and no dodge-roll skills, you're screwed.

Actually, now that I think of it, Hook might even be a better choice for that list since the difficulty spike between Ursula and Hook is pretty nuts.

I found Larxene II more difficult than Riku IV in Re:CoM personally, but various bosses change in power in the PS2 version. Having a more 3D environment usually helps you more than it hurts you since you can dodge Hook's barrels/get past Vexen's shield more easily. Marluxia III is annoying though.

I found the easiest strategy to beat bosses with was just to fill my deck full of the highest attack cards (anything below 7 becomes somewhat useless near the end), some 0s to break sleights, and some Cure cards to Curaga sleight once in a while. I used the same deck for Heartless battles and it worked fine, maybe not the most efficient but it's not like you can really lose to random fights in this game anyway.

I usually go for a completely different world order than you do, I do Halloween Town first because losing to Oogie Boogie is pretty much impossible (though long), while I save Olympus for last because Hades and Cloud are the tougher bosses in the first world set. To each their own I suppose.

I usually go for a completely different world order than you do, I do Halloween Town first because losing to Oogie Boogie is pretty much impossible (though long), while I save Olympus for last because Hades and Cloud are the tougher bosses in the first world set. To each their own I suppose.

My logic is that I'm trying to farm the cards. Cloud and Hades aren't hard and I'll explain why when I get to both of them. But let's just say that Blizzard Raid is amazing.

I found Larxene II more difficult than Riku IV in Re:CoM personally, but various bosses change in power in the PS2 version. Having a more 3D environment usually helps you more than it hurts you since you can dodge Hook's barrels/get past Vexen's shield more easily. Marluxia III is annoying though.

I found the easiest strategy to beat bosses with was just to fill my deck full of the highest attack cards (anything below 7 becomes somewhat useless near the end), some 0s to break sleights, and some Cure cards to Curaga sleight once in a while. I used the same deck for Heartless battles and it worked fine, maybe not the most efficient but it's not like you can really lose to random fights in this game anyway.

Yeah... Larxene 2 and Vexen 2 are nightmares in Re: CoM (and the first run-ins with the two are tough enough). And incidnetally, your strategy and mine generally are the same.

Edited by Malik Maxwell

Floor 2 - Olympus Coliseum

Enemies:

Blue Rhapsody

Powerwild

Shadow

Large Body

Bouncywild

Barrel Spider

Decks:

2 Kingdom Key        0 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        0 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        5 Blizzard
3 Kingdom Key        1 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key        4 Kingdom Key
3 Kingdom Key        3 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        7 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        2 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        3 Kingdom Key
6 Simba              4 Kingdom Key
7 Cure               6 Kingdom Key
4 Cure               4 Kingdom Key
6 Potion             6 Kingdom Key
Shadow               4 Cure
                    7 Cure
                    6 Potion

Map:

[ ]
[ ] [3] [5]
[4] [2]
[ ] [1] [ ]

Room Synthesis:

1 - Tranquil Darkness, Teeming Darkness

2 - Calm Bounty, Teeming Darkness

3 - Meeting Ground

4 - Alchemic Waking, Moogle Room

5 - Moment's Reprieve (automatic)

New Cards:

- Olympia

- Hi-Potion

- Cloud

- Hades

- Blue Rhapsody

- Barrel Spider

New Sleights:

- Blizzard Raid

Level Ups:

7 - Sleight (Stun Impact)

8 - HP Boost (110)

9 - CP Boost (375)

10 - CP Boost (400)

11 - CP Boost (425)

12 - Sleight (Strike Raid)

13 - CP Boost (450)

14 - CP Boost (475)

15 - HP Boost (125)

Bosses:

Cloud - If you thought Axel was tough, you're in for a bit of a ride here. Cloud likes to jump around a ton, enjoys breaking your cards but most of all, he uses his sleights for major damage, especially Omnislash. If you spot one in the making, get a 0 card ready since it's going to hurt. The nice thing is that his deck is quite small and he'll be reloading quite a bit, especially because he relies on sleights pretty heavily. Also, try to break the Hi-Potion if you see it. The last thing you want is more Cross-Slashes and Omnislashes going down your throat since the Hi-Potion reloads the entire deck, including cards lost to sleights.

The best way to beat him is to cleanly hit him with a couple of Blizzard Raids at the start of the battle. If you aim them right, you can actually knock the majority of Cloud's HP off before you really start attacking him. After that, pound him into submission. Just remember to break Omnislash when it comes.

Hades - Here we go, the big cheese. I'll stress the importance of Blizzard Raid below but the thing to remember is that Hades is weak to ice. Blue Rhapsody and Blizzard Raid combined do major damage to this creep and there's no reason not to use it.

Now Hades is slow but he's got a lot of power behind his shots. A nifty little sleight by the name of Temper Flare ups his attack by a lot while Firaga Ball is going to hurt. Break Temper Flare when you see it simply to nerf Hades' power since Firaga Ball isn't bad enough to worry about unless your health is low. If you manage to connect with 3 or 4 Blizzard Raids, Hades will go down stupidly quick. Just hope that they don't get broken. After the Blizzard Raids, just hit Hades until he dies.

Notes on Floor 2:

Calm Bounty - These things start dropping in droves. As soon as you get one, start using it to synth rooms in order to grab some treasure. The thing that you want to pull on this floor is Blizzard Raid (required for the boss battle) but Fire Raid, Gravity and Stop are all things you want before you get to the second World Card set. Blizzard Raid is necessary for Hades since it hits on Hades' ice weakness and allows Sora to stay out of his range. As for the rest, Fire Raid is just as good as Blizzard Raid while Stop and Gravity give access to some nifty sleights, some of which I'll cover as I get there.

Bouncywild - Try not to leave this floor without grabbing the Bouncywild Enemy Card. It automatically collects Exp gotten from killing an enemy. Which means that there's no more running around in battle for all the Exp you can get. Very useful and it only costs 10 CP.

Blizzard Raid - This also applies to Fire Raid but Blizzard Raid is inherently more useful. For the price of a single Blizzard, Sora can toss out his Keyblade and basically sic a Blizzaga on his enemies. Yes it's possible to have the official Blizzaga at this time but since Blizzard Raid only requires 1 Blizzard Card vs. 3 for Blizzaga, this is the way to go. It absolutely murders enemies from Floor 2 to Floor 6 and still does some pretty hefty damage past then if Sora's hitting weaknesses. Start your Mook deck off with 3 Blizzard Raids and you'll be surprised to see enemies living past the third one. I would even combine it with Blue Rhapsody since Blizzard Boost gives Blizzard Raid enough power to OHKO Large Bodies (that's impressive) on this floor.

Sleights - At this point, sleights will become your main source of damage in non-boss fights. I covered Blizzard Raid (and Fire Raid too) above but I just want to mention the other sleights that start appearing. Strike Raid is a non-elemental version of the two Raids listed above and does much better damage than Sliding Dash (this is your cue to drop that sleight). Stun Impact is used more for utility since it stuns along with the damage. The stun can be useful to let you regroup and activate an Enemy Card or something else.

Cloud - Cloud is the single best Magic card in the game. He also gets to be the most expensive but honestly, what the fuck did you expect? Sleight two Clouds for Cross-Slash (adds an extra slash to the already powerful Cloud), three for that awesome sleight known as Omnislash (this thing fucks up anyone who comes in contact with it) and add Cloud to other cards like Keyblades or Stop for some nifty sleights in Cross-Slash+ (causes Stop) and Reflect Raid (I'll touch on this when I get there). Very nice card and great for all around damage purposes.

Edited by Kitty Admiral

Floor 3 - Agrabah

Enemies:

Bandit

Green Requiem

Yellow Opera

Fat Bandit

Air Soldier

Shadow

Barrel Spider

Decks:

1 Blizzard           8 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        5 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        7 Three Wishes
8 Blizzard (P)       6 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key        9 Olympia
7 Blizzard (P)       7 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        6 Kingdom Key
5 Kingdom Key        5 Olympia
6 Kingdom Key        6 Kingdom Key
9 Olympia            6 Three Wishes
5 Kingdom Key        7 Kingdom Key
4 Cloud              5 Kingdom Key
4 Cure               5 Three Wishes
7 Cure               8 Kingdom Key
6 Cure               6 Kingdom Key
6 Potion             5 Three Wishes
Blue Rhapsody        8 Cure (P)
                    8 Cure
                    9 Cure
                    8 Potion
                    5 Potion
                    Shadow
                    Barrel Spider

Map:

[6]
[ ] [4] [5]
[ ] [3] [ ]
[1] [2] [ ]

Room Synthesis:

1 - Tranquil Darkness

2 - Calm Bounty, Martial Waking, Moogle Shop

3 - Teeming Darkness

4 - Martial Waking

5 - Calm Bounty, Meeting Ground

6 - Moment's Reprieve (Automatic)

New Cards:

- Aladdin

- Three Wishes

- Gravity

- Air Soldier

- Ether

- Jafar

- Genie

New Sleights:

None

Level Ups:

16 - CP Boost (500)

17 - Sleight (Blitz)

18 - CP Boost (525)

19 - CP Boost (550)

20 - CP Boost (575)

Bosses:

Genie Jafar - This fight isn't hard at all. It's just simply annoying. Jaffar himself is invulnerable to... well, everything and you've got to hit the lamp that Iago holds to defeat the fucker. The thing is, Iago decided that it would be a good idea to fly high above Sora's head... Great.

Anyway, bring a pure beatdown deck to this fight, along with a couple of Cures and Potions (Hi-Potions are pointless because you don't have a sleight that hits Iago). I'd also take Shadow for Incrementor and and Barrel Spider for Quickload. Jaffar's attacks are horribly telegraphed and easy to avoid on their own right. Just keep swinging away at Iago and you'll come out as the victor.

Notes on Floor 3:

Aladdin - Aladdin is your first temp friend card and he's available for the entirety of Agrabah. He's pretty decent (think Goofy Tornado but right in front of you) when it comes to damage but the big thing he has going aside from being free to sleight is the fact that he cuts through Fat Bandit's defenses. That's absolutely key when you think about it since Fat Bandits are by far the most annoying enemy here (Barrel Spiders don't really count).

Gravity - The thing about this game is that ID sleights don't really exist. Sure there's Warpinator (Stop/Gravity/Aero) but the cards for it are nuts, not to mention that they're useless after using Warpinator once. Warp does ID kill everything but you get no experience from it. Think of it as KH's version of Teleport (the actual Teleport is another sleight and it doesn't take you out of the battle). What we're then left with is the Gravity series and boy, is it good. Graviga will hit a good portion of the screen and will take off 3/4ths of your enemy's health. It triggers fast and isn't stupidly expensive (it costs as much as Simba does but does nicer damage to mooks). Don't bring it to a boss battle unless it's part of a non-Gravity based sleight (AKA not Graviga or Gravity Raid). Graviga also gets outshined by Gravity Raid but it'll be a while before we pick up the latter so dispense with the first one.

Boss Deck - I've been recording the Boss Deck wrong until now. The deck listed for Olympus Coliseum is actually the Boss deck walking out of the Axel fight. Whoops. The listed Boss Deck here (and from now on) will be of the deck I have prepared for the boss.

Jafar - Jafar is the single best card in the game, if you ask me. Attack Bracer stays on for 20 attacks and it will guarantee that if you play a card, it will not be broken. For 65 CP, this sounds quite costly... until you realize that the effect also holds for low value sleights like Ars Arcanum and Ragnarok, two incredible sleights that can easily be broken by even generic enemies. Huh. It only gets better in Riku's story but there are tons of lategame bosses here where you'll appreciate this card (the usual Riku IV and Marluxia I always come to mind). Note that this card isn't broken, it's just the best card in the game.

Genie - I love Robin Williams but even his voice acting isn't enough to make Genie good. Summoning Genie makes him summon a random Thundaga, Gravira or Stopra. The problem is that it's random (limiting what you can do) and Genie decided to cost as much as Simba. Stick with Donald or straight-up Magic sleights for offensive Magic, Genie's just not worth it.

Edited by Kitty Admiral

• 5 months later...

After 10 years AKA 6 months... I'M BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! I dropped the Enemy Formation section, that thing pissed me off too much.

Floor 4 - Monstro

Enemies:

Large Body

Tornado Step

Yellow Opera

Green Requiem

Shadow

Search Ghost

Air Soldier

Decks:

1 Gravity            8 Kingdom Key
4 Gravity            5 Kingdom Key
5 Gravity            7 Three Wishes
2 Blizzard (P)       6 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        5 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        9 Olympia
8 Blizzard (P)       7 Kingdom Key
5 Kingdom Key        6 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key        5 Olympia
7 Blizzard (P)       6 Kingdom Key
5 Kingdom Key        6 Three Wishes
6 Kingdom Key        7 Kingdom Key
4 Kingdom Key        5 Kingdom Key
9 Olympia            5 Three Wishes
4 Cloud              8 Kingdom Key
8 Cure (P)           6 Kingdom Key
9 Cure               5 Three Wishes
8 Cure               8 Cure (P)
5 Hi-Potion          8 Cure
Hades                9 Cure
                    8 Potion
                    5 Potion
                    Shadow
                    Barrel Spider

Map:

[5] [ ]
[ ] [4] [ ]
[2] [3] [6]
[1] [ ] [7]

Room Synthesis:

1 - Tranquil Darkness, Moogle Room

3 - Sorcerous Waking

4 - Alchemic Waking

5 - None

6 - Calm Bounty, Moogle Room, Alchemic Waking

7 - Moment's Reprieve (Automatic)

New Cards:

- Wishing Star

- Dumbo

- Air Soldier

- Parasite Cage

New Sleights:

- Fire Raid

Level Ups:

21 - HP Boost (140)

22 - Sleight (Sonic Blade)

23 - HP Boost (155)

24 - CP Boost (600)

25 - CP Boost (625)

Bosses:

Parasite Cage - Parasite Cage is actually one of the more fun fights. He'll sit at the right side of the screen and try to beam you with his arms. You'll be on 4 rotating platorms which occasionally sink into some sort of goop. And... yeah, exactly like the Kingdom Hearts fight, just a lot easier.

This is another pure beatdown fight so bring a beatdown deck. If you're going to bring in some magic, make it Omnislash (3 Clouds) or Blizzard/Fire Raid. Nailing him with his mouth open will nab you the trick card to get rid of the platforms and allow Sora to walk on the goop, making your life a lot easier. Don't even bother with sleights, the only decent ones are the Raids and Omnislash. Just beat his ass down and use a couple of Potions to restock without charging. You'll get the Parasite Cage card for your troubles.

Shadow Mob - I don't know why I'm including this as a boss. Just use large area clearing sleights like the Raids, Sonic Blade and Graviga to deal some serious hurt here.

Notes on Floor 4:

Deck Setup - I mentioned for Floor 3 that I was going to use Graviga and I have it sleighted first in my deck. It covers a good portion of the screen and takes off 3/4s of an enemy's HP bar. Pretty nice. 3 Blizzard Raids follow it, ensuring that everything dies. I don't even need to include Blue Rhapsody anymore since the quantity of sleights that I'm using overrides the quality of them. Everything else (keyblades, Cloud) simply exist to finish off any Green Requiems that remain on the field.

10 Graviga - The point of having a sleight add up to 10 is to limit the CP in my deck. There isn't a single enemy in the game that wields a 0 card which means that if I make a sleight of 10 or more, it's not getting broken.

Sonic Blade - Sonic Blade is actually quite a good sleight but the earlygame problem comes with the card set-up. You need three different types of Keyblades that total up to 20~23. A 7-7-6 works nicely but that's asking for a 7 and a 6 of Olympia/Three Wishes at this point. I managed to pull it off with an 8-7-5 (Kingdom Key - Three Wishes - Olympia) but considering that I got the sleight at level 22, it's unlikely that a regular run will see Sonic Blade before Floor 5 or 6.

Air Soldier - Good card, shitty CP cost. 30 CP in return for reloading in motion 3 times. This card will obviously be wonderful in the lategame (specifically against Riku IV) but regular battles shouldn't have reload problems and boss battles at this stage should give you a bit of a rest. 30 CP is a little too pricey right now.

Parasite Cage - Tired of Riku IV's constant Dark Auras that never seem to end? Is Vexen's Auto-Life getting you down? Are you sick of not knowing when Ansem is stocking a sleight? Say hi to your new best friend, Parasite Cage's Dispel. For a measly 60 CP, you will break your opponent's enemy card without fail. Riku IV loses his Sleightlock, Ansem loses his Sleightblind, Vexen no longer gets revived... These Enemy Cards are usually the things that make the endgame so tricky in this game and you have a sure-fire way of dealing with them. Of course, Parasite Cage is useless against mooks but against bosses? They'll be saying their prayers.

Dumbo - Dumbo is decent but I've never used him before. I'll give you my thoughts on the next floor.

Edited by Kitty Admiral

Lies.

Anyway, this reminds me that I still haven't beaten RE: Chain of Memories....which I should get to at some point, seeing as how I played the hell out of this one. And I can't remember very well, but I think I remember loving Dumbo in the GBA version. I should go replay it and check.

Yo Admiral, just a question. When you enter a room, are you fighting every enemy inside that room, or are you shooting a straight arrow to the boss, stopping only to get the map cards you need to advance? Because the latter seems more in keeping with a Dondon-esque playthrough.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Floor 5 - Wonderland

Enemies:

Red Nocturne

Large Body

Crescendo

Soldier

Creeper Plant

Shadow

Decks:

1 Gravity            2 Blizzard (P)
4 Gravity            7 Lady Luck
5 Gravity            6 Kingdom Key
8 Blizzard (P)       7 Blizzard (P)
8 Kingdom Key        8 Three Wishes
6 Fire (P)           5 Blizzard
7 Kingdom Key        8 Kingdom Key
7 Blizzard (P)       8 Blizzard (P)
7 Kingdom Key        9 Lady Luck
8 Kingdom Key        8 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        5 Blizzard
7 Three Wishes       7 Three Wishes
8 Olympia            8 Lady Luck
8 Kingdom Key        3 Blizzard
8 Kingdom Key        9 Kingdom Key
8 Three Wishes       8 Three Wishes
8 Wishing Star       8 Wishing Star
9 Olympia            8 Olympia
8 Cure (P)           8 Kingdom Key
9 Cure               7 Lady Luck
8 Cure               6 Olympia
5 Hi-Potion          8 Kingdom Key
Hades                6 Wishing Star
                    8 Cure (P)
                    5 Cure
                    7 Potion
                    Blue Rhapsody
                    Card Soldier

Map:

[8] [ ]
[5] [6] [ ]
[4] [3] [ ]
[1] [2] [7] [ ]
   [ ]

Room Synthesis:

1 - Tranquil Darkness, Moogle Room

3 - Strong Initiative

4 - Teaming Darkness

5 - Strong Initiative

6 - Martial Waking

7 - Sleeping Darkness

8 - Moment's Reprieve (Automatic)

New Cards:

- Lady Luck

- Stop

- Red Nocturne

- Card Soldier

- Trickmaster

New Sleights:

None

Level Ups:

26 - CP Boost (650)

27 - Sleight (Zantetsuken)

28 - CP Boost (675)

29 - HP Boost (170)

Bosses:

Card Soldiers - These guys are pretty pathetic. Think of them as a regular mook battle and bring your mook deck to deal with them. Sticking Blizzard Boost onto Blizzard Raids will OHKO any Card Soldier and Dumbo's Splash will do a lot of damage at the start of the battle. You'll receive the Card Soldier card as your prize.

Trickmaster - There's lots of good things to use against this guy but the best would be a Blizzard Boosted Blizzard Raid deck. Just stack the deck with about 6 Blizzard Raids, let them fly, pull out a Potion, turn on Card Soldier and go to town. If the Trickmaster's Fires are giving you a hard time, use Hades to nullify them completely. The Trick card will bring out a table since you are fighting in the Bizarre Room.

Notes on Floor 5:

Ice Attacks - Yeah, I know that I covered it when I first got it but Blizzard Raid is incredible here. Nothing immune to Ice shows up on this floor and it just about OHKOs the entire floor with the exception of Large Bodies. If that's not overpowered, I don't know what is. Dumbo is another (if not pricier) way to deal out the Ice hurt. Stocking up a Splash may destroy everything on the field ASAP. And Blue Rhapsody powers both cards/sleights up so feel free to add that to your deck if you want.

Dumbo - Ok, time to evaluate the elephant. Splash is... well, it's better than Pride Roar and Showtime because you at least know the element that you're using (Ice). But the duration of the attack is pretty poor (even when sleighting three Dumbos) and he costs as much as Simba and Genie. I'd use him only if you're trying to hit weaknesses (like Wonderland or Agrabah). Mushu is probably going to be a similar story too.

Stop - Stop finally shows up on this floor. Enjoy some Stoppage goodness. It's probably better in lategame sleights though.

Hades - I would suggest turning Hades' Berserk on for the majority of the floor if you don't play like me (and destroy everything in sight). A little perk of Hades is that he grants Fire resistance which should make you immune to the Red Nocturnes and part of the Trickmaster's arsenal.

Zantetsuken - For either 0 CP or 27 CP, go ahead and break an opponent's card permanently. There's only one battle where I would even consider bringing it along and that would be Riku IV. Who knows, maybe I will?

Card Soldier - Guard Armour was pretty terrible since it increased your range of keyblades. But Card Soldier is pretty good because he ups the speed of your swings. Any beatdown deck will gladly accept this card, especially ones with slow cards like Olympia and Three Wishes since they'll start working like greased lightning.

Trickmaster - Value Break is worthless UNLESS you are fighting against someone and their deck is full of 9s. Then you can have fun.

Yo Admiral, just a question. When you enter a room, are you fighting every enemy inside that room, or are you shooting a straight arrow to the boss, stopping only to get the map cards you need to advance? Because the latter seems more in keeping with a Dondon-esque playthrough.

Every enemy but when I say dondon style, I mean break the game into fucking oblivion. Like kill the Trickmaster before ever having to reload (Potions don't count).

Floor 6 - Halloween Town

Enemies:

Gargoyal

Wight Knight

Search Ghost

Creeper Plant

Shadow

Decks:

1 Dumbo (P)          2 Blizzard (P)
3 Dumbo              7 Lady Luck
6 Dumbo              6 Kingdom Key
8 Blizzard (P)       7 Blizzard (P)
8 Kingdom Key        8 Three Wishes
7 Blizzard (P)       5 Blizzard
7 Kingdom Key        8 Kingdom Key
2 Blizzard (P)       8 Blizzard (P)
7 Kingdom Key        9 Lady Luck
3 Blizzard           5 Blizzard
8 Kingdom Key        7 Three Wishes
8 Kingdom Key        8 Lady Luck
6 Kingdom Key        3 Blizzard
7 Three Wishes       9 Kingdom Key
8 Olympia            8 Three Wishes
8 Kingdom Key        8 Wishing Star
8 Wishing Star       8 Kingdom Key
8 Olympia            8 Olympia
9 Kingdom Key        8 Kingdom Key
8 Lady Luck          7 Lady Luck
9 Olympia            6 Olympia
7 Lady Luck          8 Kingdom Key
8 Three Wishes       6 Wishing Star
8 Cure (P)           8 Cure (P)
9 Cure               5 Cure
8 Cure               7 Potion
5 Hi-Potion          Blue Rhapsody
Blue Rhapsody        Card Soldier

Map:

[4] [5]
[ ] [3] [ ]     [9]
[1] [2] [6] [7] [8]
       [ ]     [ ]

Room Synthesis:

1 - Tranquil Darkness, Calm Bounty, Moogle Shop

2 - Strong Initiative

3 - Sorcerous Waking

4 - Feeble Darkness

5 - Teeming Darkness

6 - Black Room

7 - Meeting Ground

8 - Lasting Daze

9 - Moment's Reprieve (Automatic)

New Cards:

- Jack

- Pumpkinhead

- Search Ghost

- Gargoyal

- Oogie Boogie

New Sleights:

- Terror

- Gifted Miracle

Level Ups:

30 - CP Boost (700)

31 - CP Boost (725)

32 - Sleight (Tornado)

33 - CP Boost (750)

Bosses:

Oogie Boogie - This guy is notoriously easy. To kill him, you need to cardbreak his 7s and then blast him into oblivion. It's that simple. I forgot to change my deck for the battle but if I did, it would have been something like a lot of attack cards, 3 0s, a Potion or two and Card Soldier... yeah, that's about it. It's really that easy.

Notes on Floor 6:

Terror - You receive this sleight upon entering Halloween Town but aside from right now, forget about using it. 2 Summon Cards and Jack isn't a bad cost but Simba, Mushu and an Item is since you lose two cards in that sleight (and one of them is pretty damn pricey). The sleight itself is essentially Confuse for about 2 seconds which means that it's not even close to worth it. 84 CP for Terror vs. 74 for Stopga when Stopga already does the better job? I'll pass, thank you.

Jack Skellington - Your next friend card. If Donald was your defensive mage because of the Cure series, Jack's your offensive one. He's like a souped up Genie, able to cast Fire, Thunder, Blizzard and Gravity. Stocking three for Surprise! gains any three Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga/Graviga spells. That's pretty good since stocking 3 Genies in Showtime is worth 3 Thundara/Gravira/Stopra spells. Hence, souped up Genie.

Gifted Miracle - Remember that Return spell in FFV? The one that let you start a battle over from scratch if you sucked? Welcome to the KH counterpart. Gifted Miracle will reload your cards to the beginning (even unreloadable ones), reset the card counter and restore both your HP and the enemy's HP. It's basically hitting reset for any given battle. The sleight generally needs Bambi, Blizzard, any Item (72 CP) which isn't so bad considering that Bambi is a half decent Summon card but it does lose you 2 cards. Save this one for emergencies (obviously).

Enemies - Enemies at this stage of the game are starting to get harder. Blizzard Raid still cuts a bloody swathe through anything it touches but it now 2HKOs Search Ghosts because they warp out of the range after one hit. Splash is now failing to impress since he can't KO the second Creeper Plant in a dual Creeper Plant formation. Hell, he can't even kill all of the Shadows in a x5 Shadow formation! Expect to see the strength of enemies rise between this floor and the next (one of Atlantica/Neverland/Hollow Bastian).

Oogie Boogie - Regen is good. Really good. It's better in Riku's story due to unorthodox healing there but Regen is always good and never bad. 40 CP for 10 shots of Regen isn't a bad deal at all.

Edited by Kitty Admiral

Floor 7 - Prelude

Decks:

1 Dumbo (P)          0 Kingdom Key
3 Dumbo              0 Kingdom Key
6 Dumbo              0 Kingdom Key
8 Blizzard (P)       8 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        6 Three Wishes
7 Blizzard (P)       7 Lady Luck
7 Kingdom Key        9 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key        7 Three Wishes
2 Blizzard (P)       8 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key        7 Lady Luck
8 Kingdom Key        8 Olympia
3 Blizzard           8 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        8 Kingdom Key
7 Three Wishes       8 Wishing Star
8 Olympia            9 Olympia
9 Lady Luck          9 Kingdom Key
8 Wishing Star       6 Pumpkinhead
9 Kingdom Key        9 Wishing Star
8 Lady Luck          7 Kingdom Key
9 Olympia            8 Three Wishes
7 Lady Luck          9 Lady Luck
9 Kingdom Key        7 Kingdom Key
9 Three Wishes       9 Three Wishes
8 Kingdom Key        7 Kingdom Key
8 Three Wishes       7 Kingdom Key
8 Cure (P)           1 Cure (P)
9 Cure               1 Cure (P)
8 Cure               4 Cure
5 Hi-Potion          5 Cure

New Cards:

- Thunder

Level Ups:

34 - HP Boost (185)

Bosses:

Larxane - Ok, we finally have another challenging battle... well, sorta. Larxane is challenging in the sense of she may kick your ass if you have no idea what you're doing but someone with a well built deck and an eye for seeing sleights will beat her ass down. Larxane packs a pretty annoying sleight in Lightning Bolt which stuns you and she's fast... that's about it. Her deck has no staying power, her Elixer is (and should be) easily breakable the second you spot it and while her attacks are fast, they're far from furious.

Once again, beatdown decks are your friend. Forget stuff like sleights all together, just pack some serious heat. Olympias and Three Wishes are great finishers and you will see some major damage on Larxane as a result. Barrel Spider will reload your cards instantly (doesn't affect the counter though), Air Soldier is good for reloading on the run, Card Soldier lets you outspeed Larxane for 30 attacks, Jafar means no broken cards... lots of good enemy cards to choose from at this point in the game. If you catch her reloading (she does that a lot), you can take off a good half a bar of her HP with some well placed combos.

Notes:

2nd Set World Cards - Now we're into the serious worlds. Time for another run down.

• 100 Acre Wood: I have mixed feelings about this world. It's fun and light and all that jazz and no enemies... but you get large number of good stuff from this world. Spellbinder is one of my favourite Keyblades in Kingdom Hearts (it's Lightning based in this game) and the Elixir that you'll find is quite awesome (Potion + Ether in one card). Other nice pulls include the Idyll Romp, Confuse, Bind and Synchro sleights along with Bambi. Would you rather have a hellish Floor 10 or only have this stuff for Twilight Town, Destiny Islands and Castle Oblivion?
  • Atlantica: World's annoying but the Crabclaw is a very nice keyblade (consistent across the board). Ursula card is only worth it if I can't find a Defender.
  • Neverland: I love Hook. Hook grants Second Chance (which was god in Kingdom Hearts for me) and unlike Vexen, it works 3 times. Great for battles like Riku IV and other toughies. Fairy Harp is weak but acts like it's made of greased lightning.
  • Hollow Bastion: This is THE world. Divine Rose is my kind of card (amazing Strike damage even with a D+ thrust and C Combo Finish along with C Card Recovery), Mushu pops up here and... Dragon Maleficent's Overdrive is actually quite good. Not to mention that the enemies here can deliver their own personal style of hell due to them also appearing in Castle Oblivion.

The best order would probably be Hollow Bastion -> Atlantica/Neverland -> 100 Acre Wood. Hollow Bastion is easily the hardest of the 2nd World set and getting it out of the way is always nice. Floor 10 also has the worst floor layout to date (each layout gets worse) and doing 100 Acre Wood then skips it.

Thunder - Decent card but it would have been nice if it showed up like 4 floors earlier. Atlantica, in a reverse twist of fate, is actually strong against it meaning that Thunder is slightly useless at this point.

Edited by Kitty Admiral

Floor 7 - Farming Keys To Reward

Decks:

1 Dumbo (P)          0 Kingdom Key
3 Dumbo              0 Kingdom Key
6 Dumbo              0 Kingdom Key
8 Blizzard (P)       8 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        6 Three Wishes
7 Blizzard (P)       7 Lady Luck
7 Kingdom Key        9 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key        7 Three Wishes
2 Blizzard (P)       8 Kingdom Key
7 Kingdom Key        7 Lady Luck
3 Blizzard           8 Kingdom Key
6 Kingdom Key        8 Kingdom Key
7 Three Wishes       8 Wishing Star
8 Olympia            9 Olympia
9 Lady Luck          9 Kingdom Key
8 Wishing Star       6 Pumpkinhead
9 Kingdom Key        9 Wishing Star
8 Lady Luck          7 Kingdom Key
9 Olympia            8 Three Wishes
7 Lady Luck          9 Lady Luck
9 Kingdom Key        7 Kingdom Key
9 Three Wishes       9 Three Wishes
8 Kingdom Key        7 Kingdom Key
8 Three Wishes       7 Kingdom Key
8 Cure (P)           1 Cure (P)
9 Cure               1 Cure (P)
8 Cure               4 Cure
5 Hi-Potion          5 Cure

New Cards:

- Lionheart

- Metal Chocobo

- Divine Rose

- Soldier

- Tornado Step

- Darkball

- Wizard

New Sleights:

- Blazing Donald

- Aqua Splash

- Stop Raid

- Gravity Raid

Level Ups:

35 - CP Boost (775)

36 - CP Boost (800)

37 - Sleight (Ars Arcanum)

38 - CP Boost (825)

39 - HP Boost (200)

40 - CP Boost (850)

41 - CP Boost (875)

42 - Sleight (Holy)

43 - CP Boost (900)

44 - CP Boost (925)

45 - HP Boost (215)

46 - CP Boost (950)

47 - Sleight (Ragnarok)

48 - CP Boost (975)

Bosses:

None

Notes:

Farming - This is where the "grinding" starts. I need to pick up a total of 7 Key to Rewards cards and this is the first floor that they drop. Furthermore, I can only hold 1 Key to Rewards at a time so... yeah, happy hunting.

Blizzard Raid - It's served me well up to this point but 2/5 enemies in Hollow Bastion are immune to it (Wizards and Defenders) which means that Blizzard Raid is no longer the God that it used to be. Wyverns, Tornado Steps and Darkballs are still 1HKOs though.

Lionheart - Keys to Rewards aren't relegated to specific floors like Bounties are but rather to a world. Traverse Town spits out the Lionheart, the keyblade of Squall's famous necklace. The Lionheart should be the first elemental Keyblade you find in the game, along with being the first B level Keyblade. It's got the slowest swing in the game (D) but recovers from card breaks like a madman (A). It's got nice attack across the board and is Fire elemental to boot. Enjoy it but remember not to bring it to Axel II.

Metal Chocobo - Say hello to the pride and joy of FFVII in this game, the Metal Chocobo. Brought to you by Olympus Colosseum (Cloud's home in KH). The Metal Chocobo doesn't look that great at first glance. Sure it's got a wicked finisher but the Strike and Thrust values are similar to those of the Olympia and Three Wishes. And the Olympia has a better break recovery while the Three Wishes boasts an actual fast swing. So why does the Metal Chocobo cost more CP? The answer lies within the Metal Chocobo's Neutral affinity; it cuts through the defense of stuff like Defenders without breaking a sweat. All of the other keyblades (aside from the Lionheart) are physical and can't do shit. But the Metal Chocobo? Eat your heart out.

Holy - Not worth it. Fielding the cheapest possible Holy (that doesn't get broken) is a 1 Mega-Ether, 1 Megalixir and 8 Potion. That costs more than an arm and a leg right there. If you really want it, go ahead.

Blazing Donald - Use it once for comedic effect. Forget about it. You find it in Agrabah.

Aqua Splash - Would it surprise you if I told you that Monstro's prize is the Aqua Splash sleight? Naw, wouldn't surprise me either. It's quite similar to Bambi's Splash... except it requires a card that we don't have yet. Aero. So I can't really test it out yet.

Stop Raid - Welcome to goodness. Blizzard/Fire Raid's stopped being so effective but Stop Raid has utility. For less CP and better range, sic a Stopga on your enemies. Amazing. It's not for damage though so don't try to swap out Blizzard/Fire Raid for it. Shows up in Wonderland.

Gravity Raid - And our last piece of loot, brought to you by Halloween Town. Graviga but in raid form. Enjoy.