FE4 advice

Quirino

I want to play Fire Emblem 4 soon. There are some small things I'd like to know.

1. There are quite little characters in FE4 (compared to other FE's), would it be possible to use all of them or is that still a bad idea?

2. Would it be possible to complete a first playthrough with random pairings (and then I mean completing it without it being too hard) or should I use recommended pairings for the first playthrough?

3. There are only 10 chapters?! Are those chapters really that big? It seems annoying to me that if you have played a chapter for a long time and lose a character in a boss fight and have to start the whole chapter over. Or are there save points during the chapters?

Thanks!

-Quirino

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) You can use all characters, although some of them you'll find extremely difficult due to low movement and poor combat (ie: Ardan, Hannibal). Generally though, there's nothing stopping you from using nearly anyone, although mounted characters will have a huge advantage due to the sizes of maps.

2) You could probably complete the game relatively easily with random pairings (since the easiest ones to get are generally fairly good), but on your first time I might use recommended ones if you're not really familiar with the game and with what to expect. It's really up to you, though.

3) Yes, the chapters are really that big, look up the maps of some of them if you'd like. However, you have the option of saving whenever you want during maps (and there's a function to give you a prompt at the start of every turn, even) so you don't have to worry about being hit on a 4 and starting the whole thing over.

1) Yeah, but I recommend you use the better ones over the crappier ones (I.E. Fin>Noish)

2)If you get any of the Children Characters at all, you're pretty set.

3)You have no Idea. This isn't like Other FE's. You're freaking Globetrotting in comparison, and as said, Ponies have the advantage.

Unless you're on an emulator and using savestates, I also suggest keeping an additional save at the beginning of each chapter. If you only use one save, and you screw it up, you can't restart a chapter--you can only load the save you made. If you don't have a save made at the beginning of the chapter, you're stuck with your mistake-save, or restarting the entire game.

A lot of people seem to get worried over the planning involved for future generations... I'd say just play the game and enjoy it.

A lot of people seem to get worried over the planning involved for future generations... I'd say just play the game and enjoy it.

This is true. Most of 2nd gen's holy weapon wielders are fixed characters, after all.

The only pairing that would really make a massive difference would be Levin's, and that's just because Holsety breaks the game. Regardless, I did finish my first, blind playthrough without it. So, while using the recommended pairings will make things easier, you can go wild with relative impunity.

Thanks for the fast replies. It's great that it ain't as important as I thought to get the best pairings there are. I actually hate following a 'do this, do that' walkthrough. I prefer to play freely, but on the other hand I hate to start over just due to bad pairings or so. I most of the time only use walkthroughs to make sure I recruit everyone (and maybe in this game those events that you won't notice if you don't follow a walkthrough :P).

Well, I hope this game goes well. Heard it's a good game, so I think enjoying it won't be a problem ^_^

Edit: I just saw the images for the maps and they are indeed huge! Isn't that annoying, such huge maps? I always hate splitting into groups and that looks pretty necessary in these maps.

Edited by Quirino

Heard it's a good game, so I think enjoying it won't be a problem

It's decent. Quite a flawed game, but decent nonetheless.

If you're comparing it to other Fire Emblem games, you could say that, and you'd be flawed in your thoughts too.

If you aren't comparing the game to certain standards, but take the game as it is, it's quite well done. It's off in a couple small places, mostly having to do with speed (Silesia and Yied take for-ev-ur).

Eh, I was mostly comparing it to the rest of the series. Maybe "quite a flawed game" was a little harsh, but I still find it rather annoying compared to the other Fire Emblem games. Some of the balance issues are almost inexcusable, and there's also a few annoying bugs that really bother me (isn't there some sort of glitch where Celice can be rendered paralyzed if he dismounts?). Also, I found the dialouge to be a little weak in places, and the story felt kind of lacking during the 2nd half of the game.

The Rankings are also ridiculous, and actually require you to abuse that save system to kingdom come.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Edit: I just saw the images for the maps and they are indeed huge! Isn't that annoying, such huge maps? I always hate splitting into groups and that looks pretty necessary in these maps

Eh, I think you don't need to split up that much. The big maps never bother me, and I rarely split the groups unless, say, one of my castle is attacked or I need to speed up fast to reach a certain character/castle. Naturally you'll be split into groups only because the infantries' moves are less than horse units, but that's that. My advice is, don't let the big maps bother you wink.gif

And about the pairings, as above people had said, random pairings will probably be okay, but it wouldn't hurt to try get some infos about the pairings. Getting a few broken characters in the next gen will help quite much to speed things up :D

Edited by kasumi

Here's some general things"

1: You can save at the start of every player phase on the options menu (the thing that opens when you press select or press a on an unoccupied tile) Remember, there is NO way to go back to the start of a chapter from a file that's saved on a turn, so use normal save on 1 file, and auto-save on a different file.

2: If you're pairing people, make sure they're both trained well, or it'll be hard for their kids to take part in combat.

3: Ayra, Levin, Lakche, and Sety are INVINCIBLE. Do not hesitate to use them. ESPECIALLY if Levin and Sety have Holsety.

4: The Berserk Staff is overrated. SO GET CORPUL INSTEAD!!!

2: If you're pairing people, make sure they're both trained well, or it'll be hard for their kids to take part in combat.

Changes maybe 1-2 points on their bases, so that's a gross exeggeration.

3: Ayra, Levin, Lakche, and Sety are INVINCIBLE. Do not hesitate to use them. ESPECIALLY if Levin and Sety have Holsety.

If by invincible you mean they have overkill offense (Levin only after Pursuit Ring or Holsety), then yes. Otherwise, they have some troubles taking hits, and they have no mounts. Invincible would be more like Shannan, Sigurd, or indeed Holsety Sety.

4: The Berserk Staff is overrated. SO GET CORPUL INSTEAD!!!

Corple and his replacement are both extremely useless. The Berserk staff isn't really that great but at least it has its uses.

Changes maybe 1-2 points on their bases, so that's a gross exeggeration.

If by invincible you mean they have overkill offense (Levin only after Pursuit Ring or Holsety), then yes. Otherwise, they have some troubles taking hits, and they have no mounts. Invincible would be more like Shannan, Sigurd, or indeed Holsety Sety.

Corple and his replacement are both extremely useless. The Berserk staff isn't really that great but at least it has its uses.

1: I don't really know the calculations, actually; but since neither my Azel or Tailto were useful, but still ended up spawning a near-Sety-like Tinny, i guess it's nothing. BTW you misspelled exaggeration.

2: I was gonna mention Shanan, but I forgot to. Since he can evade almost everything with the Balmunk (except for the occasional FE4 RNG screw), that pretty much makes him a god as well. Also, I never gave the pursuit ring to Levin, he was good enough with the constant Criticals and Diadora's Silence staff I gave to him (worked WONDERS when I battled Reptor), so I gave pursuit to Lex instead, and in 2nd gen that was given to Leaf, and later Altenna. And Sigurd...is Sigurd. Enough said. He actually turns out to be BETTER than his son on some points. Maybe it was just the difference between the strength of the enemies...

3: I know that they're both as useful as Claude, but Corpul still turns out to be really impressive in the arena. He also inherited the Elite ring from his father (Alec, because I didn't know about Claude at that point), so the only real difference was the Berserk Staff. Also, if Corpul can't use Holsety when he's first recruited, then how does he get it?

1: I don't really know the calculations, actually; but since neither my Azel or Tailto were useful, but still ended up spawning a near-Sety-like Tinny, i guess it's nothing. BTW you misspelled exaggeration.

If you don't know the calculations then don't pretend you do by saying things like "if you don't train the gen 1 units it will be hard for the kids to participate in combat". (Tinny sucks regardless of parents but that's another story for another day)

3: I know that they're both as useful as Claude, but Corpul still turns out to be really impressive in the arena.

Who cares, Corple's never going to reach battles that matter, and if he does he's better off healing. Letting him inherit the Elite Ring is a BAD idea by the way, since then you'll be missing it for all gen 2 chapters until Corple joins (Ch9).

Also, if Corpul can't use Holsety when he's first recruited, then how does he get it?

It's in his inventory, he just can't use it until promotion. Holy weapons are passed on regardless of whether you can use them, I believe. I've never made pairings like that other than Levin/Sylvia but I recall people reporting things like Holsety in Patty's inventory.

Anyway Trueblade74, please don't give advice to beginners about a game or a mechanic when you actually don't know how it works.

If you don't know the calculations then don't pretend you do by saying things like "if you don't train the gen 1 units it will be hard for the kids to participate in combat". (Tinny sucks regardless of parents but that's another story for another day)

Who cares, Corple's never going to reach battles that matter, and if he does he's better off healing. Letting him inherit the Elite Ring is a BAD idea by the way, since then you'll be missing it for all gen 2 chapters until Corple joins (Ch9).

It's in his inventory, he just can't use it until promotion. Holy weapons are passed on regardless of whether you can use them, I believe. I've never made pairings like that other than Levin/Sylvia but I recall people reporting things like Holsety in Patty's inventory.

Anyway Trueblade74, please don't give advice to beginners about a game or a mechanic when you actually don't know how it works.

1: k

2: Hey, I have Ayra paired with Lex, so I never have to worry about training Lakche. And giving Corpul the Elite Ring is better than having him buy it, since priests can't make money.

3: Oh.

4: Grrrr...

I want to play Fire Emblem 4 soon. There are some small things I'd like to know.

1. There are quite little characters in FE4 (compared to other FE's), would it be possible to use all of them or is that still a bad idea?

2. Would it be possible to complete a first playthrough with random pairings (and then I mean completing it without it being too hard) or should I use recommended pairings for the first playthrough?

3. There are only 10 chapters?! Are those chapters really that big? It seems annoying to me that if you have played a chapter for a long time and lose a character in a boss fight and have to start the whole chapter over. Or are there save points during the chapters?

Thanks!

-Quirino

Yes, you can, but it's a chore. Don't bother unless:

1. you're pursuing ranks or

2. just want to show off your mad skillz.

Yes. "Bad" is usually not substitute bad...with a few exceptions

Yes, they are long. That's why there's an in-game save feature at the start of every turn.

Edited by Rufus T FireFly

Don't use Arden. He can't double and he can't hit worth a damn and when you pair him up with someone his children usually suck.

2: Hey, I have Ayra paired with Lex, so I never have to worry about training Lakche. And giving Corpul the Elite Ring is better than having him buy it, since priests can't make money.

Because Lakche and Corple are the only people who benefit from gaining double EXP, right?

Giving the Elite Ring to Corple is kind of silly anyway, since he joins last and doesn't get that much benefit from Elite if he's leveling via Reserve spam (which can be funded by Patty without much trouble).

I've played a few minutes and this are my personal thoughts on the characters so far

Sigurd - Awesome

Noish - Seems pretty good to me, but I think he'll end up mediocre

Alec - Seems not so good so far, but I think he'll end up pretty good

Arden - Reminds me of Gilliam. Hope he's just as good as he doesn't seem good for now

Azel - Early game mages are always good, aren't they?

Lex - Does not seem very good so far

Cuan - I think Sigurd, Alec and Fin are better

Fin - Not so good right now, but he's a young looking person and young looking persons almost always end up awesome

Ethlin - Just a healer on horseback

Am I right or am I totally wrong with the personal thoughts?

Sigurd - Awesome

Noish - Seems pretty good to me, but I think he'll end up mediocre

Alec - Seems not so good so far, but I think he'll end up pretty good

Arden - Reminds me of Gilliam. Hope he's just as good as he doesn't seem good for now

Azel - Early game mages are always good, aren't they?

Lex - Does not seem very good so far

Cuan - I think Sigurd, Alec and Fin are better

Fin - Not so good right now, but he's a young looking person and young looking persons almost always end up awesome

Ethlin - Just a healer on horseback

Am I right or am I totally wrong with the personal thoughts?

My Alecs usually turn out better than my Noishes.

I don't remember Gilliam being good. Ardan always gives me trouble. Right now the Pursuit Ring is only sort of marginally salvaging him...

Azel would be good, except for his movement. If you can get him to promotion level, things will be smoother.

Lex has Elite. That means he'll be good. Especially if you give him Hero Axe.

I am always very partial to all of the Lenster trio, do not ask me why. Cuan hits like a truck and doesn't take shit from anybody, although lack of doubles is a bit worrisome. Fin has Prayer, and later Brave Lance, and huge availability, and won't let you don't. Ethlin has staves and a horse. That makes her sex on wheels in this game.