FE4 All-Subs AAAA Ranked Run Attempt

Greetings, forest people. After a long haitus, I'm back with another run to test the limits of FE4 (yes, I'm aware of that other efficiency run I haven't finished).

I will be recording video, but it's a pain in the ass to play while it's going. They'll be sped up a bit to fit them under the youtube time limits.

The item logistics are going to be a pain to think about, but I'll deal with it come...Chapter 2. But, a lot of it boils down to what Celice inherits, what Leaf inherits, and what is left to be dropped off by the enemies. Yeah there's Fin, but all he's holding for Gen 2 are lances. <_< Well, I'm also gonna need a couple 50+ kill weapons....also gonna have to maximize the use of the thieves.

Random INFO edit(s)

Added Mar 1, 2011, 2:09AM EST

[spoiler=Gen 1 Guys I know for sure will get to level 30]

Sigurd

Lex

Levin

Jamka

Brigid

Claude

Aideen

Fin

Lachesis

So that is 25+26+24+24+18+10+27+29+28=211

Prologue

Turns 1-5

Arch Knight land gets smashed and Sigurd has to save the day. Long and flowy hair for the men seems to be the order of the day there. <_<

Lex and Azel take the top. The rest on the bottom. Alas, if only Sigurd didn't take the damage; I could have busted out the Iron Lance.

Tactical errors are committed by me, i.e not having Noish deal a blow and Lex going west instead of south

Turns 6-11

"Ganging up on someone is necessary. Strength in numbers is your friend"

"Use that Iron Lance"

Edited by Rufus T FireFly

Good luck keeping your women alive and single, I say.

Not a concern of mine. One, I play fast enough. I know I can finish gen 1 in 150 turns easy, and that's an overestimate. Two, I know to keep "danger" pairs separate. Three, I know to avoid unneeded convos.

I'm more concerned about things like what to stuff in the Ethlin pinata. ;)

All-Subs..that means holy weapons won't be passed down to gen 2 right? If so, how will you be able to defeat the chapter 9 boss Arion, who will require Holsety? 

Edited by julystork

All-Subs..that means holy weapons won't be passed down to gen 2 right? If so, how will you be able to defeat the chapter 9 boss Arion, who will require Holsety? 

Shanan.

Arion has 9 Res, so he WILL get hurt plenty from magic damage. Three hits from a base Hawk will do the trick. Hawk has 36 attack power with his Mag+Lightning, so he'll do at least 27 a pop. Of course, one needs to have a contingency plan if Continue doesn't activate or Arion dodges, but said backups exist like promoted Celice+Light Sword. And of course, I must make sure that he doesn't activate Prayer.

Shanan.

Only if all other attempts failed and Arion's in critical HP land.

Edited by Canadiens de Montreal

You can dance to Restore users. And of course you can kill the guys with Sleep staves. Beating the game with a pretty low turn count isn't too difficult, even with subs. I believe the biggest obstacle will always be EXP.

You have five Restore users (Hawk, Mana, Sharlow, Leaf, and Julia), problem is only one Restore staff. But you also have stuff like Sleep and Silence and Berserk you can use yourself to shut down Sleep users (and you should since status staves give ridiculous EXP).

I don't remember mentioning this, but I am (obviously) looking very forward to this. Already after prologue, we see three currently very different strategies on each of the three ongoing ranked run logs. Not to mention that I don't believe I've ever seen most of the substitutes ever fielded (only Layla and Asaello pairs were in the Nico videos).

You have five Restore users (Hawk, Mana, Sharlow, Leaf, and Julia), problem is only one Restore staff. But you also have stuff like Sleep and Silence and Berserk you can use yourself to shut down Sleep users (and you should since status staves give ridiculous EXP).

No, he doesn't. Not in chapter 10.

You can dance to Restore users. And of course you can kill the guys with Sleep staves

Or better yet the Silence staff which will have the same effect on those guys with 3 uses before it breaks. The biggest obstacle is indeed EXP, sufficiently spreading it around your team is much harder than a Sigurd solo for example.

Another possible issue may be that the distribution of funds in the second gen is more cumbersome since Daisy is just too awful.

Edited by Sirius

If this is gonna be a ranked run, have "fun" with chapter 10 where 99% of the enemies have Sleep which has 100% ACCURACY, so even with 2 Restore users you'll be burning turns waiting...

Hmm, I thought there was only one or two Dark Bishops in that army, and they usually went after Hannibal or Faval. I've been able to reach Hilda in two turns no sweat with Dancer+Rescue Wand, but of course Celice was promoted and had the Leg Ring as well. He gets the Elite Ring from Sigurd for the early chapters.

I've consistently completed that chapter in 26 turns or less for many playthroughs now. Of course, since my supporting army is weaker, the number might get inflated.

I don't remember mentioning this, but I am (obviously) looking very forward to this. Already after prologue, we see three currently very different strategies on each of the three ongoing ranked run logs. Not to mention that I don't believe I've ever seen most of the substitutes ever fielded (only Layla and Asaello pairs were in the Nico videos).

I'm an "old vet". I've played FE4 probably at least 50 times, and even that Prologue strategy was "new" to myself since I was trying out posiitoning the units next to each other to limit the attacks on weaker units. And Fin charging north above the castle? It only took multiple trials runs before I figured that out.

I haven't used Femina or Hawk for a full playthrough myself, but I have for the other subs, but not all at the same time. I'll be charging in rather "blind" with regards to Femina and Hawk. Yes, I do know Femina just has Continue and allocating what to her will be a pain to think about.

But, the weeks have been busy, recording is time-consuming for me, and hence I haven't added Chapter 1 yet.

You can dance to Restore users. And of course you can kill the guys with Sleep staves. Beating the game with a pretty low turn count isn't too difficult, even with subs. I believe the biggest obstacle will always be Survival.

Fixed that for you.

• 2 months later...

Hello, one and all. I'mmmmm baaaack.

Nothing much, though.

One, a slight change to the end of Prologue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQ0kn2JKrU

I just got through the arena:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvqSONvGgGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buBfG8UscbI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiW5Bsf_Jhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qk80e-MkiI

To preview what is to come:

Noish performs better in the arena than Alec.

Dew's give makes the receipient sexier.

You can capture Genoa in three turns(initiate, damage, seize) with just two units.

Persistence is worth it, if you have a lot of time on your hands.

Wins accured:

Sigurd - 14 wins

Ethlin - 2 wins

Cuan - 5 wins

Ardan - 1 win

Noish - 3 wins

Alec - 7 wins

Fin - 2 wins

Midir - 4 wins

Azel - 5 wins

Lex - 3 wins

Edited by SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre

Ok, Evans to Genoa up. This is the first time I parked Fin on the forest as a strategy. My intent to was to use Prayer, but it seemed that luck was on my side.

In terms of who gets the first kills in the next segment, I have Noish and Lex as those units because it pays when they have to go into the arena.

You don't want to feed more to Lex than strictly necessary though, seeing as he caps relatively easily. Then again, it looks like you won't have any problems in generation 1, looking at your strategies.

Why didn't you have Alec attack anything before seizing with Sigurd, though?

You don't want to feed more to Lex than strictly necessary though, seeing as he caps relatively easily. Then again, it looks like you won't have any problems in generation 1, looking at your strategies.

Why didn't you have Alec attack anything before seizing with Sigurd, though?

I just need one more point of strength to get the 12 Str for Lex so he can two-shot the Swordfighter in the arena with the Hero Axe, and then I can scale on his action and feed the EXP to the rest of them.

I sometimes forget a thing and don't feel like doing the thing all over again. I now record a .smv file first, and then make the avi. Those files don't seem to allow for modifications once finished.

New videos are up

Seizing Marpha

Should Aideen be regarded as a sloppy second?

The "wall" formation is nicely effective for protecting otherwise vulnerable-to-swarm units like Lex and Cuan. It doesn't do much if the attacked unit is a offensive beast though, i.e Fin.

--------------------

Traveling to Verdane

Trouble is always a-brewin in the forest, I always say. It's in all of literature. GO INTO FOREST, CHAOS ENSUES. :awesome:

Aideen heading due west is the fastest course to Jamka. Aira gaining just enough HP and Def is all one can hope for if one wants to charge in firewagon style against Jamka.

Also, a lot of time is eaten up due to mudane logistical stuff like saving villages and staff spam. Whew.

<vid coming soon>

Looking good. I always love it when Jamka destroys those Hunters. You do know the last turn or two is missing though, right? It's fairly obvious what's gonna happen but I assume it's recorded somewhere.

Looking good. I always love it when Jamka destroys those Hunters. You do know the last turn or two is missing though, right? It's fairly obvious what's gonna happen but I assume it's recorded somewhere.

It was late and I needed some rest. Should be up by sometime today.

5:59PM EST, here it is:

Wins accrued:

Sigurd: 27 wins

Cuan: 11 wins

Ethlin: 2 wins

Deirdre: 1 win

Ardan: 3 wins

Noish: 10 wins

Alec: 10 wins

Fin: 7 wins

Lex: 6 wins

Azel: 6 wins

Aideen; Goose-egg

Midir: 9 wins

Aira: 3 wins

Jamka: 9 wins

Dew 2 wins

I'm following, but I'm really interested primarily in the second gen and how you'll use the subs. Some of those guys are so shitty that I'm not sure how they're going to get experience. Finishing maps isn't going to be a problem (really, turns don't seem a problem with a Celice/Aless/Leaf blitz in the last two chapters like Balc and the Nico run did), but getting all the subs to a good spot might be, especially with the weapon bottlenecks. Patty's hard even with good inheritance; trying to use Daisy will be like... yeah. Well, at least there's the Sleep Sword.