Getting Empire Total War

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should i start as?

• Prussia
    • Britain
    • Screw them and be Austria

I thought the good old US of A was only the tutorial campaign? Either way, fuck them all, drop the P and just be Russia.

Sieges: have mortars/howitzers, leave machine.

Nah. Russia's actually got pretty top-notch units come endgame, even if they blew chunks in previous patches thanks to pathing destroying Riflemen. Early on, their Line Infantry are lower quality than their counterparts, but they're bolstered by the bardiche-slinging Russian peasants, who are the second-best early melee unit in the game besides Hindu Swordsmen.

EDIT: Please note, all this shit is utterly subjective and based entirely off of my own games rather than numbers.

Edited by Integrity

Russia's line infantry may seem inferior at first, but you have to notice that they have a hefty charge bonus compared to the line infantry of the other nation's. Best not to use them for shooting. Maybe get close, let off a volley, and then charge.

I've only played as Great Britain, USA, and Prussia.

Great Britain's infantry is pretty much the best. The only thing is that they have a lower attack, but who cares when their shooting skills are better and they have more defence?

Prussia's line infantry are second best, sorta.

USA shares the generic line infantry as most of the minor European nation's.

If you need help for sieges you should check out my Let's Play thread for Empire Total War.

Try to create as many openings as you can in the walls if you want to keep losses low. Your artillery have unlimited ammunition anyways. Then you can assault from all sides and that'll be very bad for the enemy's morale.

As for the poll, Great Britain is the easiest for a beginner. You're on an island, and the enemy rarely, if ever, mounts a naval invasion against you.

USA is part of the tutorial, but you can play it as an alternate grand campaign. You start off with shitty technology compared to everyone else. Great Britain is pretty much on your northern side and very dangerous. Your best bet is to play diplomatically and screw over the Native Americans before even thinking of standing up to a European power.

For Prussia, you start off in the middle of everyone, surrounded on all sides and with very few provinces. Your best bet is to destroy your enemies one at a time and never overstretch yourself, which is a mistake I made in my campaign (in my Let's Play) and I had to fight very carefully lest I be defeated.

I never played Austria, so I can't comment. Their line infantry come in greater numbers but have inferior stats.

Edited by skitarii

Good way to form up troops? Standard way would just be to make a long line.

I would recommend a W formation, well not that steep but then have the line infantry have overlapping zones of fire.

With light infantry behavior on friendly fire won't occur much, unless you're positioned on a slope.

You can also form a triple firing line...that is Light infantry in front of Line Infantry, who are both in front of Light Dragoons. You can also put archer units behind the line infantry, since archers can arc over the heads of soldiers.

Edited by skitarii