Splices for my hack

iavasechui

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a good start would be to try changing their eyes a bit or better yet redraw them (the eyes) entirely. That's usually what keeps splices from looking unique.

A good chunk of them still have their original hair style so changing that would help, but it's not absolutely necessary.

If you're looking for help, i wouldn't mind having a look at them unless you want to tdo them yourself.

I'd say do them splicing competition style. As in pick three or so mugs then splice them to make a completely new looking characters. Using many small pieces from each helps instead of taking whole chunks of their body/face/hair. Mix and match face parts like eyes, noses, and mouths. Splice/change the hair as much as possible.

If you're looking for help, i wouldn't mind having a look at them unless you want to tdo them yourself.

I wouldn't mind, ^_^; Might give me a better idea as to what you mean.

Oh anyone have any ideas for some characters to splice to make some more guys? I seem to have waaaaay more ladies than guys XD Its just easier for me to see ways to mix and match ladies than it does for guys heh

So this is an edit for the second one in the first row (just the head).

SPLICEDEMO.png

So I made the hair a bit wider in order to work with Ursula's head. I also reshaded it in some places mainly cause FE6 shading is kinda ugly, but this also makes it look more original.

I made the eye one pixel taller. This sort of makes her look a bit younger. You don't have to make the eyes taller necessarily, this is just an example. I also tweeked the lips a bit.

Also using custom colors helps a bit.

Couple of things I noticed when looking through the sheet, though.

-For skin colors you should stick to either FE7 or FE8, it doesn't work too good to mix them up.

-And on some splices, namely the one I edited, the skin isn't recolored correctly and still has traces of the old skin color.

Also, when I offered my help I sorta meant in a permanent capacity, meaning I can help you for the whole project, if you like. Having said that, I don't know if you would prefer it if your hack had sprites that you personally made or what. Also, if you do want my help I can either edit the splices you made or if you prefer I can make them from scratch. Either way, I don't mind.

By the way. You don't have to keep these changes, it's just for the sake of demonstration.

Edited by Maklo

So this is an edit for the second one in the first row (just the head).

SPLICEDEMO.png

So I made the hair a bit wider in order to work with Ursula's head. I also reshaded it in some places mainly cause FE6 shading is kinda ugly, but this also makes it look more original.

I made the eye one pixel taller. This sort of makes her look a bit younger. You don't have to make the eyes taller necessarily, this is just an example. I also tweeked the lips a bit.

Also using custom colors helps a bit.

Couple of things I noticed when looking through the sheet, though.

-For skin colors you should stick to either FE7 or FE8, it doesn't work too good to mix them up.

-And on some splices, namely the one I edited, the skin isn't recolored correctly and still has traces of the old skin color.

Also, when I offered my help I sorta meant in a permanent capacity, meaning I can help you for the whole project, if you like. Having said that, I don't know if you would prefer it if your hack had sprites that you personally made or what. Also, if you do want my help I can either edit the splices you made or if you prefer I can make them from scratch. Either way, I don't mind.

By the way. You don't have to keep these changes, it's just for the sake of demonstration.

Oh wow, I really like what you did with Erys ^_^ I would be very grateful for your help with this project. I want to stick more to fe7 colors, though I really like the hair color on the first sprite and that came from fe6 if I recall correctly... ^_^ Thank you very much for offering to help with this I do appreciate it..

Oh he's not posted because he's just a blatant recolor but one of my other planned characters is a priest who is currently just a recolor of Saul, but based on Saul I kinda wanted him to be a little older, more mature, NOT A FLIRT XD, more serious... um this probably isn't helpful at all, though he has black hair, light skin, and wears white robes with blue. Its okay to totally ignore that ^_^;

I feel random today, so I'm going to donate a portrait

Untitled1-1.png

^_^ thank you very much he looks cool

Yeah I like FE7 colors better too, though I only meant it for skin colors; most FE6 and 7 hair/armor/clothing colors work well together.

Okey doke, so consider me onboard.biggrin.gif

Do you want me to go through those splices you posted and fix them up or do you want me to take a swing at the priest you described?

Also, do you care if I make them from scratch or would you rather I stick with your splices?

Yeah I like FE7 colors better too, though I only meant it for skin colors; most FE6 and 7 hair/armor/clothing colors work well together.

Okey doke, so consider me onboard.biggrin.gif

Do you want me to go through those splices you posted and fix them up or do you want me to take a swing at the priest you described?

Also, do you care if I make them from scratch or would you rather I stick with your splices?

Hmm maybe go through the splices first? ^_^; As for whether or not to start from scratch or just use the splices whichever you think is best, I trust your judgment. Oh and the last guy in the first row is a blind seer so he needs to keep his eye shut XD I kind of wanted him to look a little more mysterious and exotic but I'm not sure how... the girl right under him is his apprentice and guide, so they should probably have a similar theme.

Untitled1-3.png

Here's a better version of the first one.

Wow ^_^ he is totally awesome, what class would you say he is? XD I think he would be cool to have as an enemy that you can recruit.

Hmm maybe go through the splices first? ^_^; As for whether or not to start from scratch or just use the splices whichever you think is best, I trust your judgment. Oh and the last guy in the first row is a blind seer so he needs to keep his eye shut XD I kind of wanted him to look a little more mysterious and exotic but I'm not sure how... the girl right under him is his apprentice and guide, so they should probably have a similar theme.

Alright then, I'll get started when I get a chance.

BTW if you're interested, take a look at my gallery and see if there are any mugs that might fit into you're hack. You don't have to, but don't be afraid to ask if you see anything you like. I don't mind recoloring them either. Obviously though I would rather not use any mugs of crossover characters (like characters from other games).

@ThatGuy: Clean looking splice. If you're interested, as a shading excercise, you could try adding a third tone to the cloak since I believe that sprite only uses 14 colors + background.

EDIT:Forgot to ask, but what class is that Erys supposed to be?

Edited by Maklo

Yep, I kinda like how it came out too.

I can add the gloves if you want, it's no trouble.

Actually, what I meant by preliminary was that if you prefer it I can add or completely change parts of the mugs, like adding accesories or making hair longer or things of that sort. Basically what I was aiming for was to try and make these mugs look like what they would look like if you were to draw them yourself. So, I'm pretty open towards suggestions that might drastically alter what the mug looks like. Even if its something like you change your mind about a character's class and you would rather have their ouftit changed to reflect that change or whatever. As I said it's really me no trouble for since I really enjoy spriting these mugs anyways.

^_^; Wouldn't mind some help with the story actually. Do you have yahoo im? Or msn? It would be easier for us to bounce ideas around with that.

Well could you give me an outline of the story. And you could send me emails, although I would have to PM email adress. ^_^

Edited by BlackShadow

Well could you give me an outline of the story. And you could send me emails, although I would have to PM email adress. ^_^

Well at the moment I don't have much outside of ideas for certain characters, I'm working on it but so far I don't have all that much.

Oh you. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Though, it could use some shading where his hair touches his clothing.

BTW if you're wondering. I did start work on those mugs you asked for. Though, I've been a bit busy, so yeah, I didn't get much done.

^_^ Its no biggie. I finally got the map inserted thanks to Claude_C_Kenny walking me through the process XD this means I have to actually make more maps now though not my strong point XP

Hmm I see what you mean on the shading there... I'll have to see what I can do.