Is there anyway to play these games in complete English?

JaketheGr3at

Headers for the SNES is an additional, useless $200 bytes at the beginning of the ROM, used for various identification for dumpers. the issue comes is that if someone uses an original, non-modified game, and they edit it, when they create a patch, it lists at what places what data is changed. If you try to apply a patch to a game that has a header, everything is $200 spaces off. Obviously, this can screw some stuff up. It'd be like if every fifth note on a music sheet suddenly shifted over into the eighth, overwriting the original eighth note.

There's various programs to detect and remove the headers for you. Check out romhacking dot net, they have a few. Also, if it turns out to not be a header issue, you may have the wrong version of the ROM. I think there are four different versions of the FE5 game--a NP version, a V.ROM version, and version 1.0 and 1.1 (I'm not looking at my GoodSNES at the moment however :/ )/. Each of these can be slightly different, including the same issues with headers. Always make sure you have the right version intended for your patch.

The laziest way to fix this is to go download a new ROM altogether from a different site and hope you get the intended dump. Most ROMhackers who want to be sincere about their project will include a checksum of their original ROM to ensure you find the correct one, should something zany be going on. Smaller fanbases, like Fire Emblem, don't usually hear of these movements or thoughts and so they don't include such precautions :/