assigning promotions (fe8)

Mekkah

paperblade refuses to continue to play trollFE until i fix this so i figured i might as well ask here...

Case in point, in TrollFE8, Artur is a Mogall. I want him to promote to Arch Mogall with a Guiding Ring. According to Arch's awesome tutorial I need to hex edit for that. So I got HxD, and got to a point which I believe to be a list of classes that promote using Guiding Ring. The hex numbers all matched the classes that promoted with Guiding Ring. Priest, Troubadour, Mage (M), Mage (F), etc. So I changed one of them to Mogall's hex number. Artur still refuses to promote with Guiding Ring. I did not have Nightmare open at the same time as HxD.

Any idea what could've gone wrong here?

The guide seemed to imply it :( The modules I have allow me to change promotion paths but not promo item pointers, I think.

You're editing the values from 0x8ADF6B and you're using 5F as the value for Mogall, right? I tried it myself (swapping 45 at 0x8ADF6B for 5F) and got the Mogall to promote fine.