VOICE THERAPY

Caliban of Sycorax

I'm losing my voice, and I've been losing it for the past few days. Specifically today, I just finished my last scene as Benvolio for Romeo and Juliet and did the "Tybalt, here slain" monologue, WHILE MY VOICE WAS GOING.

Does anyone know remedies for voices? I'm not acting for the rest of the semester but I really want my voice back...

Inhale hot steam to relax vocal cords.

A hot shower can also help this.

And don't drink coffee.

Edited by Hawk King Tibarn

Gargle a cup of salt water. :V

Make sure it's warm/hot too! My brother tried it and what he did was gargle it again and again till the cup emptied. And as much as you may not want to, I think you may have to try gargle it for a while. Like 20-30 seconds maybe? I forget how long I did it...

Just be careful to not be dumb and expect instant-relaxation and fixes. Sure, the damaged-ness might seem to disappear, but then you might go and ruin your vocality even further.

The largest issues of voiceloss is probably going to be sickness, or over-stressed usage.

I experienced this relatively recently (DIII Basketball Playoffs on back-to-back nights tends to kill your voice when cheering in the stands) myself. From the experience, I'd say that resting your voice as much as possible is probably the best means of recovery. However, like when appendages are broken or injured, you'll want to user your voice a little here and there each day to "rehab" it (for lack of better terminology) as it gets better.

I would say that this, coupled with lots of water and/or tea with warm honey (a general remedy for sore throats, I do believe), should help. Granted, your voice will probably take a good week or so to stabilize and return to normal, so it's not like it'll be back to the way it was overnight.

EDIT - By now, I hope that things are already better and this advice only speeds that recovery up.

Edited by Lord Glenn