Interesting Pairings

Pro-Apocalyptic

I beat FE4 a few months ago, and a need a little break before I finish Thracia for the first time. So, I've started replaying FE4 with the goal of finding some more interesting 2nd gen units.

I did the standard bread and butter pairings the first time and I ended up with a lot of cookie-cutter overpowered (at least compared to the rest of my FE experience) characters and a few big duds.

My biggest goal this time is to make Patty as kickass as possible. Otherwise, I'd just like to see some decent units that are as different as possible from what I got the first time around.

Thanks for any and all help!

AlecxFury

Creates a fairly lackluster Sety but it means Fee can venture into arrow-land. It also protects her from the odd swordskill but there aren't too many of those.

NoishxFury

Both kids become crazy multihitters. Sety's awful magic is somewhat offset by his amazing skillset, he also gains some durability.

HolynxLachesis

Despite having only charisma, both cap skill and strength very quickly, also finishing with a lot of health.

ClaudexEdain

Ignoring the fact that Lester will stink, it gives you access to A-rank staves earlier in the 2nd generation. Lana also becomes immune to any status staves.

NoishxBriggid

Patty still requires a fair amount of babying but she'll be pretty impressive once she gets going.

I'm not claiming that any of these are optimal pairings, they are interesting though.

Bridget x Lex for Elite and high def Patty.

Bridget x Holyn for Luna Patty and high sword rank unpromoted.

Noish x Fury for combat god Fee and Charge / Critical Sety.

Claude x Fury for Fee and Sety that are good with staves and that can one round stuff anyway.

Lachesis x Azel for high magic and strength Delmud and Nanna, which means she can heal even better.

Lex x Tiltyu for Ambush + Wrath Tinny and Arthur. A lot of one hitting stuff going on.

Noish x Ayra if you haven't tried. Probably the best pairing for Lakche and Skasaha if you give Lex to someone else, which you probably should.

Lex or Ardan x Sylvia for Ambush + Sleep Sword Leen in the Arena. Who cares about Corple?

I kill Tailto for Linda I see.

Linda's interesting, whilst most subs are lame versions of another pairing, she's actually got a pretty significant lead in magic over Lex!Tinny. Whether or not that's worth the 10 HP and Def, I'm not sure. I was looking over the children I got from my first playthrough. Noish!Corple had as much defense as he did magic.

Some I didn't see mentionned yet :

Alec/Brigid

Seconded. If you want a good Patty, you'd want pursuit and inherited swords.

...Unless pursuit is a Thief class skill, but I'm pretty damn sure it isn't.

EDIT: Correction; thieves don't, but thief fighters apparently do. Still, getting her to promote at all is an uphill battle.

Edited by Furetchen

I'm pretty sure it is for Thief Fighter.

But Patty with the Hero Sword and C ranks swords probably outweighs any C swords Alec can give with his Pursuit. Since Luna is also helping and it's unlikely Patty is going to be fighting any sword skill users.

Seconded. If you want a good Patty, you'd want pursuit and inherited swords.

...Unless pursuit is a Thief class skill, but I'm pretty damn sure it isn't.

It is for Thief Fighter only.

Actually I mentionned this one for a funny thing : Alec!Faval can actually negate Yurius' Wrath and is better at fighting him than Celice since he can do up to 11 damage per arrow. It's not Yuria but it's pretty hilarious to see neither main characters of the second generation take on the big bad.

Edited by Dio

Patty's skill starts out pretty low, so it's usually a while before Luna starts activating enough to help. B-rank swords (the Hero sword if it's free) do help a lot. Nihil is pretty situational, even in Thracia. It makes Alec a little more difficult to market over Beowulf and his charge. At least his chapter 5 conversations are good (Leen was an accident ^^).

Noish/Ira usually works out pretty badass. Skasher and Lakche both get high STR/DEF growths along with the SKL/SPD from Ira, and if Noish kills that one boss, then Skasher gets a Silver Blade. If you sacrifice a handful of love points so that Ira can grab a Hero Sword in CHP 3, then Lakche should inherit it.

A pair of stupid awesome swordfighters who I have pretty much (Celice + Tyrfing helped, as did Fin) solo'd Gen2 with before.

My first play though I got a good Patty off of Brigid x Jamka. As a thief, Patty has decent good starting speed so her meh speed growth wont be a problem. What her growth rates will do will give her huge strength gains, which is what she is missing. Her luck will still be Ulir crazy, so she will be rather evasive. She still requires quite a bit of training, unlike Brigid x Lex, which gives Patty amazing growths in addition to Elite (but I've never actually done it, but it sure does look like it's worth a try). Neither pairing allows Patty to inherit swords though.

The only thing I can think of to make Patty be awesome almost right from the get go is Patty x Holyn and have her inherit the Brave Sword.

I did Lex!Patty on my first run. Her growths other than HP, Strength and Defense weren't that great. Elite was the main selling point, she could actually level up! JamkaxBriggid's pretty nice other than inheritance. Faval only loses around 10 hit because of his slightly reduced skill.

JamkaxAyra could be interesting, they turn out with similar stats to HolynxAyra (except the initial overkill skill) and get two pretty nifty skills.