Quick question about a plot point in FE3 (SPOILERS)

Gunlord

Hey guys! Sorry for asking, but I was just playin the FE3 patch and I really enjoyed it! Mad props to Vincent and the rest of guys who worked on it, your efforts really paid off IMO ^^ However, I have a question about one of the plot points that was raised. In chapter 12, Chainy mentions

"But, from nowhere, the day of ruin came.

First they could not give birth anymore and then they lost their minds, becoming wild beasts that destroyed everything in their path.

The elders said the dragon tribe was reaching its last days.

We had no choice, except to abandon our identities as dragons and live on as humans.

The dragon tribe panicked.

Those who trusted the elders sealed their dragon form inside stones and assumed human form.

But there were some who could not abandon their pride as dragons and did not become human.

In the end they lost their mind and became wild."

I'm just wondering, but was it ever explained what caused the "day of ruin" or how and why the dragon tribe started going crazy? I was thinking of writing a fanfic about this, so I was wondering if it was ever explained in any greater depth. Thanks for your time, guys! :D

Glad you enjoyed the patch. My translation was a largely experimental and amateurish job, but I tried to make sure everything made sense. So it's nice to know people think it's alright.

I'm just wondering, but was it ever explained what caused the "day of ruin" or how and why the dragon tribe started going crazy? I was thinking of writing a fanfic about this, so I was wondering if it was ever explained in any greater depth. Thanks for your time, guys! :D

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the game, but I'm pretty sure the closest "reason" is that the dragonkind somehow angered the gods. There's a mention somewhere that the catastrophe may have been "punishment" from the gods or something like that.

I believe that the Elibe saga retconned this catastrophe, by explaining the Divine Weapons distorted nature and forced the Elibe dragons to assume human form. Taking this a little further, my theory is that the Divine Weapons also caused the Akaneian catastrophe, since it's possible that Akaneia and Elibe are linked by the Dragon's Gate. Not sure if it seems far-fetched : P

Edited by VincentASM

Vincent-sama! *hugz* Thanks, that helps ^^ I'm just wondering, do you remember where in the script (book 1 or 2? I only played book 2 cuz I already played FE11 :D ) it mentioned the 'punishment from the gods' thing? :o Also, is there canonical implication that the other world is Akaneia, or is that just fan theory? Cause I wanted to write a fanfic aboot the scouring too :o

I remembered the reference, it's in Book 1 Chapter 6:

The Mamkutes already existed on this continent long before humans, and were referred to as the dragon tribe.

However, they were punished by the deities, and were forced to seal their true form in stones and, afterwards, lived anonymously in the frontier lands...

I'm kind of lazy to look up Shadow Dragon's Japanese script, but I know the reference isn't in the English version.

As for the link to Akaneia, it's purely speculation on my behalf. I don't actually know of anybody who shares this idea : o

My belief mainly stems from the similarities between Akaneia and Elibe, which of course may just be due to recycling of ideas, although mainly in relation to the dragon tribe (Akaneia and Elibe both feature Ice, Fire, Divine and Demon Dragons and Wyverns). There's also the fact that Gotoh teleports Marth and his companions to an alternate world in Shadow Dragon (where they land on an island that vaguely resembles Valor), which kind of ties with the Dragon's Gate linking to another world as well.

There's also a possible reference in Farina and Dart's supports:

Farina: “The treasure lies on the other side of the door that separates fire and water.” Fire and water, huh? The Nabata desert, maybe?

Dart: Don’t you wish! See! That’s why it’s going to take a pirate’s mind to unravel this one, lassie! It’s got to be the Dragon’s Gate on the Dread Isle!

Farina: Really? That doesn’t sound right for some reason...

Dart: Yeah, well maybe that’s because you weren’t paying attention to this bit that says “The hidden white fang...” That’s gotta be the Ilian wyvern’s...

Farina: No way. There are no wyverns in Ilia...

I have a feeling the fang may be a reference to the Falchion or perhaps the wyverns/dragons of Akaneia's icelands.