Custom Battle Sprite colors are weird...

GeminiTheSpy

Oy, so I'm new to hacking, and I'm trying to put a custom battle sprite in place of Lyn, just to get a feel for how it works. I've been using Blazer's fantastic Ultimate Tutorial, but I've hit a little wall. My so-far-one-frame-sprite has been inserted to take Lyn's place, and it shows up, but all the colors are wrong.

This is what it's supposed to look like. standing.png and it does show up like this within feditor.

However, this is what's showing up in the rom: messyLuke.png

I have no idea why it's showing up like this. Those colors aren't even in my pallet. Is it possible that it's doing this because I used colors from FE6 and FE8? I know I don't have anymore than 16 colors, including background, because I checked in Usenti. In fact, this frame is only 12 colors. Any suggestions?

-Gemini

I'm guessing the thing I'm supposed to be switching is either the Pallete- Unpromoted tab or the Custom Battle Sprite- Unpromoted tab. Which one, and to what should I switch it?

Gosh, I feel dense. XD

Your battle sprite is not positioned well (it's lowered down too much). I would try my best to fix that or else it'll look really awkward in-game. :\

EDIT: P.S. to be fair I had mentioned the problem already =P

The main issue that comes to mind with this is the palette issue. You see, a custom battle animation has its own palette. You can force a character to use that class’s battle animation’s palette by setting their palette in the character editor to “0x00”. Look:

image270.jpg

You see the blue box? It’s set to “0x00” because this character has a custom animation. The animation we are inserting has the palette for us, so we don’t need to assign the character another palette. This may or may not be the case for your animation.

Not trying to be mean, it'll just help if you look a little closer in the future. But good luck with your endeavors, you did well to get this far! ^_^

Edited by Luffy