FE7 Efficiency Playlog

General Horace

For no particular reason, I decided to attempt a maximum efficiency playthrough of FE7. It probably won't be amazing, but whatever.

I'll be recording videos, and posting them here periodically when I have the time to upload them.

I'm not using the fixed growth patch, in case you are wondering. I don't feel that set level ups are part of the game. If you disagree, you are wrong we will have to agree to disagree on this regard. If I end up getting a particularly blessed unit, i'll take note of any turns said unit would have saved.

I'll post what I remember to be my LHM turncounts. They could be a turn off, this is by memory.

[spoiler=Turncount (Up to and including Chapter 28x)]Prologue - 5 Turns

Chapter 1 - 4 Turns

Chapter 2 - 4 Turns

Chapter 3 - 3 Turns

Chapter 4 - 8 Turns

Chapter 5 - 3 Turns

Chapter 6 - 3 Turns

Chapter 7 - 2 Turns

Chapter 7x - 3 Turns

Chapter 8 - 4 Turns

Chapter 9 - 4 Turns

Chapter 10 - 5 Turns

Chapter 11 - 6 Turns

Chapter 12 - 4 Turns

Chapter 13 - 5 Turns

Chapter 13x - 8 Turns

Chapter 14 - 4 Turns

Chapter 15 - 8 Turns

Chapter 16 - 4 Turns

Chapter 17 - 7 Turns

Chapter 17x - 4 Turns

Chapter 18 - 3 Turns

Chapter 19 - 4 Turns

Chapter 19x - 5 Turns

Chapter 20 - 6 Turns

Chapter 21 - 3 Turns

Chapter 22 - 4 Turns

Chapter 23 - 5 Turns

Chapter 23x - 6 Turns

Chapter 24 - 2 Turns

Chapter 25 - 3 Turns

Chapter 26 - 12 Turns

Chapter 27 - 8 Turns

Chapter 28 - 16 Turns

Chapter 28x - 5 Turns

Hector Mode Only - 132 Turns

Total - 165 Turns

If you have any comments/opinions/etc., feel free to share them.

Edited by General_Horace

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reset until you get an amazing Marcus. There's your maximum efficiency.

Okay, in all seriousness, if you get a Marcus with enough Strength/Speed procs, you will destroy everything. Which is why people play with the Fixed Patch, I suppose.

Reset until you get an amazing Marcus. There's your maximum efficiency.

Okay, in all seriousness, if you get a Marcus with enough Strength/Speed procs, you will destroy everything. Which is why people play with the Fixed Patch, I suppose.

I don't plan on resetting for level ups, or fiddling with the RNG too much.

Here's chapters 1-6. First couple of chapters are sped up because of time limits. I also have an itchy frameskip finger in Lyn Mode, because everything just gets slaughtered anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtsFugqkN8

Edited by General_Horace

Do Chapter 13 in 4 turns!

Haven't really looked into possibilities yet, pretty sure its only possible in 5. If I gave Marcus wings maybe :awesome:

This is been up for a while, but Chapter 10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2aOEdhXSwE&feature=channel_video_title

I realize this is faster with a promoted Sain (or Kent) with the lancereaver.

Dondon stated it was possible during hi playthrough, but the RNG abuse isn't worth it. It's a theoretical clear as of now.

He said 5 a turn was possible, IIRC. There's no way Hector can seize on turn 4.

I've done it in 4. So it's possible.

It does take some RNG abuse though. Marcus needs to crit the boss in order to ORKO him.

Looking at the map, it does look possible. Marcus and Lowen (rescuing Hector) go north past Merlinus' village, with Lowen and another unit combining on the western snag. However, Lowen has to survive quite a bit of combat while rescuing Hector, you miss out on Guy (unless your Matthew is somehow durable enough to survive all of the southern enemies, including Guy), and Marcus needs a crit to ORKO the boss as you said.

Looking at the map, it does look possible. Marcus and Lowen (rescuing Hector) go north past Merlinus' village, with Lowen and another unit combining on the western snag. However, Lowen has to survive quite a bit of combat while rescuing Hector, you miss out on Guy (unless your Matthew is somehow durable enough to survive all of the southern enemies, including Guy), and Marcus needs a crit to ORKO the boss as you said.

The way I did it Lowen was never really in danger.

I'm working on getting a video of it to show you guys.

You mean I'm working on getting a video of our strategy to show off.

I think I've gotten all the recording issues worked out, and I know how to force the crit, so I'll be able to have the video uploaded and posted very soon.

I think I've gotten all the recording issues worked out, and I know how to force the crit, so I'll be able to have the video uploaded and posted very soon.

Yes yes, I cannot take sole credit for this, Othin and I worked in tandem. >.>

Although I was the first to do it!

He said 5 a turn was possible, IIRC. There's no way Hector can seize on turn 4.

I uploaded a 5 turn vid with all villages visited and Guy recruited. 4 turns is only possible with forcing your luck, but we all know that.

Thanks for clearing that up. As I said, haven't really took a look at the chapter, on chapter 12 for now.

And no, I don't plan on abusing enough for the 4 turn clear.

Let me know when it's up!

Edited by General_Horace

Thanks for clearing that up. As I said, haven't really took a look at the chapter, on chapter 12 for now.

And no, I don't plan on abusing enough for the 4 turn clear.

Let me know when it's up!

He recorded a runthrough but just has to convert it to actual video.

He's old school, no emulators for him. Gameboy Player and such.

He recorded a runthrough but just has to convert it to actual video.

He's old school, no emulators for him. Gameboy Player and such.

That's something I would never have the patience for, figuring all that out without savestates.

Here's chapter 11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXD8rsDXeSw&feature=youtube_gdata

Since Matt has 1 extra HP on base without Lyn Mode, this run worked. There are plenty of other 6 turn clears with base Matt.

Edited by General_Horace

What settings are you using to record? Looks good so far - I am doing a similar run, but with the fixed growths patch. Good Luck!

I know you've started your run already, but I'm using the absolute worst stuff to record and upload, Hypercam 2, and Windows Movie Maker, at least possible resolution.

Reserved for 13x once it finished uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5M3C93DR1E&feature=youtube_gdata

I'm not gonna lie, this clear was not ideal, but nobody died, and I got the village, so I decided to keep it.

Edited by General_Horace

Oh, your using an outside agent. That's probably why yours looks better, haha.

You weren't kidding abour it not being ideal ;). But in reality, it doesn't matter, because it's a defend chapter, and no one died, so it pretty much is ideal.

Post reserved for Chapter 14 Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpRULK5no2M&feature=channel_video_title

Turns Taken: 4

I sent Marcus along the top to retrieve the iron blade, and he hit Erik twice with a Javelin on the 3rd turn. I left Lowen in range of Erik so he would go after Lowen instead of Marcus to improve Marcus's chance of survival. Matthew and Erk killed a Mercenary in the north (I would have had Erk do it solo, but he was doubled). Oswin lead the charge in the middle of the map, while Guy soloed the south. Hector killed the loldiers and Knights near the start.

As a side note, I noticed that Erk does not move in dondon's video, despite having enemies in range, whereas he kills a loldier in my video.

Edited by General_Horace