Challenge Restriction Rankings Discussion

Alastor15243

LIST OF RESTRICTIONS (currently empty):

-------------------------------------------------------------------

There are plenty of creative ways to make this game tougher even without a difficulty setting, and this board section demonstrates several such methods on every page.

But why not compare them, rank them in comparison to each other with rough numerical values?

See, going for an A rank is a worthy challenge indeed, but for many people it just isn't fun, because it requires certain characters to be left in the dust, and if those happen to be your favorites, tough luck. I am one such person. So what did I do?

I played ironman style (no save-scumming, even with the game's built-in save feature. You can save to come back to the game later, but you can't load a save to undo negative consequences), banned the valkyrie staff, and added the following instant-game-over conditions:

1: Any village is totally destroyed

2: Any castle is recaptured or destroyed by the enemy (Unless that's a plot sequence, such as with Jungby in the prologue.)

3: The guard of an enemy castle is still alive 10 turns after he was first attacked (to prevent boss grinding)

Assuming a vanilla anything-goes game as the default, I wonder how this compares to going for an A Rank.

TLDR: Post your challenge ideas, and then we discuss their rough numerical difficulty ranking compared to others. For reference, an A-Rank goal will be assigned a value of 50, and we'll work from there.

Does this sound interesting to anybody?

I can imagine it'd be pretty tough. Although it is possible to do a Sigurd/Celice solo run to some extent. Guys like Levin!Sety should be able to avoid any accidents too. Still pretty frustrating. A rank's death limit is pretty nasty (although AAAA becomes much easier with save states).

A couple of fun ideas;

Drafts

FEBinary

Genealogy of X

Shin Patch

AI hard mode

Disposable Weapons - Weapons cannot be repaired, I could imagine this would be pretty mean.

Genealogy of Arden - With a bit of tweaking, set everyone's father to Arden. Even static "children".

Alec's Harem - See above.

Maybe not so much. Holy weapons are still useable, and you're only really missing out on a bit more in stats and the promotion skills. I think it's a lot more doable in FE4 than any other game, except for maybe FE5.