Project Begnion; Official Serenes Thread

Barbasol

For those of you who are unaware, with the new Smash WiiU and 3DS in the works, there has been talk on the webs (such as smashboards) about character campaigns, the most developed so far is Project Begnion, led by yours truly

Project Begnion is a grassroots initiative to campaign for the Black Knight to join the next Smash Bros as a playable character. the project is still in it's infancy, having started around yesterday afternoon.

From Project Bengion:

"Project Begnion is a grassroots campaign by the fans to create hype and fan appeal for the inclusion of the Black Knight, Zelgius of Calidor, in the upcoming Nintendo all-star fighting game Super Smash Bros. 4, recently announced for the Wii U and 3DS.

The Black Knight appeared in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for Nintendo Gamecube, as well as it's sequel Radiant Dawn for Nintendo Wii. Starring as the primary antagonist, the Black Knight was the eternal rival of Brawl newcomer, Ike.

Through this campaign, we can accomplish several things, the most direct being the arrival of Black Knight as a newcomer to Super Smash Bros 4, where he will join the likes of Marth and Ike as Fire Emblem characters. But there is more to it than just playability: The more widespread acceptance of Fire Emblem as a premiere gaming series. As a whole, Fire Emblem is highly underrated in the eyes of the gaming community, the addition of a new character, specifically the Black Knight who offers a change in tone from the light fanciful swordplay of Marth, and the light features of Brawl's Ike. With the support of Black Knight specifically, this may press Intelligent Systems and Nintendo to continue the often rumored Tellius series with a third game.

And so, an adventure begins. We hope you'll come with us. "

Here on Serenes, we all love our Fire Emblem, what better way than to sign on, and give your support.

Local Fan Movesets: TBD

FAQS:

1) I'd rather have Caeda, Lyn, etc. For Smash 4, why should I vote Black Knight?

Great to see we have several popular options! Even if one does not support Black Knight specifically, your support can still go a long way to announce your desire for a third Fire Emblem Character. Also, by signing, don't think this means you are somehow bound to support only Black Knight, there are several other initiatives starting up that we hope the best for!

Project Begnion Homepage

Project Begnion Official Petition

Thanks for the Support Scotty!

I also wanted to mention this to general FE supporters in Smash, feel free to mention something like, "I support a new Fire Emblem Character"! If you don't want specifically Black Knight, Project Begnion is for the furtherment of Fire Emblem through Smash Bros. I just ask for no defamation toward BK.

Hey, I just wanted to mention that the site is being overhauled. It has more info, a better design and it's generally more streamlined.

Project Begnion Homepage

Come on let's get some discussion going in here! I was hoping for a bit more fervor from Serenes!

Do you guys think the Black Knight should be added, or should they go the route of bringing in another Lord like Lyn, Micaiah, Siglud, etc.?

I, obviously, advocate for Black Knight, but I'm very curious as to what the Fire emblem community thinks.

Do you guys think the Black Knight should be added, or should they go the route of bringing in another Lord like Lyn, Micaiah, Sigurd, etc.?

Fixed. (Also, not just because that's the fan translation. Sigurd is from Norse mythology I think, and there's lots of that in Jugdral)

Anyways, there are some people I'd rather see than the BK, but I wouldn't object to him getting put in.

Fixed. (Also, not just because that's the fan translation. Sigurd is from Norse mythology I think, and there's lots of that in Jugdral)

Anyways, there are some people I'd rather see than the BK, but I wouldn't object to him getting put in.

Ah, my bad. I use Fire Emblem Wiki where it goes by Siglud. ;0

I'm hoping for Black Knight, I think he could bring a lot to Smash Bros. I find that if any other real possible contender would sort of be a waste in terms of better representing Fire Emblem as a whole. Lyn would be a light slasher ala Marth, Micaiah is a light mage like Zelda, etc. Black Knight comes in and represents the Generals, who are a cornerstone class throughout the series.

He also very adequately summarizes the villains throughout all the games: While he's a specific character, he becomes something all encompassing, THE clear villain, not some specific villain. He's generic yet specific at the same time, and I think that'd be a fantastic choice. Typically, your enemy commander is a hulking general type, especially in the early games. Black Knight best encompasses all those baddies into one guy. His real identity revealed or not, he has fantastic depth.

Edited by Barbasol

Hmm do/did you post somewhat frequently in SWF's SSB4 thread? I believe I saw your name there...

Anyway,

I'm hoping for Black Knight, I think he could bring a lot to Smash Bros. I find that if any other real possible contender would sort of be a waste in terms of better representing Fire Emblem as a whole. Lyn would be a light slasher ala Marth, Micaiah is a light mage like Zelda, etc. Black Knight comes in and represents the Generals, who are a cornerstone class throughout the series.

Lyn

I guess you're right with what you're saying here, however the same thing could be said about the Black Knight and Ike (slow and hard hitter). Basically, adding either one would mean that Marth/Ike has to become more balanced as a whole. Whether being an Assist Trophy in Brawl makes her more or less likely to be added to the roster, I don't know.

Micaiah

I don't have anything to say about her really, but I remember a quite interesting moveset in one of the Make Your Moves (not sure which one, I think it was the one before the one that's currently up), where she uses a combination of Light Magic and Staves, so you might wanna take a look at that.

To cover some others that you didn't mention...

Ephraim/Sheeda

You could go with either to get a lance user which would allow for a different style from the usual swords. Sheeda would probably have to be dismounted, but besides that her chances are at least decent, Ephraim probably won't make it.

Hector

Not sure what to think about him, while axes would be a different weapon from swords, I feel like he would be pretty similar to Ike. Furthermore, Lyn seems more likely to represent FE7 due to her inclusion as an AT.

Roy

Given that there he already had a fighter pac and was even the most complete one besides Mewtwo iirc, I'd say him returning isn't that unlikely. Afaik all characters that were planned to be in one game, but didn't make it due to time constraints, were included in the next one. Now I don't know how likely 4 FE reps are, but at the moment, him returning would be logical.

Don't know anything about the Jugdral lords, so no comments on them (though I guess you could add Fin to the Ephraim/Caeda part above).

Hey, I just wanted to mention that the site is being overhauled. It has more info, a better design and it's generally more streamlined.

Project Begnion Homepage

Come on let's get some discussion going in here! I was hoping for a bit more fervor from Serenes!

Do you guys think the Black Knight should be added, or should they go the route of bringing in another Lord like Lyn, Micaiah, Siglud, etc.? Nedata, Mark, Myrmidon Elice/ Berserker Etzel

I, obviously, advocate for Black Knight, but I'm very curious as to what the Fire emblem community thinks.

I think the BK would be too similar to Ike, that's also the only thing that's putting me of Hector really.

Ephraim, Sigurd, Tibarn or Caineghis would be different yet also quite nice I feel, although I'm not so delusional as to think they have a hope in hell of getting in.

I think the BK would be too similar to Ike, that's also the only thing that's putting me of Hector really.

Ephraim, Sigurd, Tibarn or Caineghis would be different yet also quite nice I feel, although I'm not so delusional as to think they have a hope in hell of getting in.

I find the problem with adding Hector is it would be a tie between adding him, Lyn, and Eliwood. Lyn's the most popular of the three.

Black Knight and Ike COULD be similar, but there's no way to say that they WOULD be. Black Knight would be probably the heaviest character in Smash Bros, and a defensive powerhouse. The heavyweights we have so far are all offensive (Bowser, Ganondorf, Charizard). While Ike also has very broad sweeping sword swings, Black Knight could have more precision strikes which are incredibly powerful.

He has a lot of moveset potential, he could also utilize Lances, like a Bv weapon swap that gives him Wishblade. :)

Black Knight and Ike COULD be similar, but there's no way to say that they WOULD be. Black Knight would be probably the heaviest character in Smash Bros, and a defensive powerhouse. The heavyweights we have so far are all offensive (Bowser, Ganondorf, Charizard). While Ike also has very broad sweeping sword swings, Black Knight could have more precision strikes which are incredibly powerful.

That's true I guess. Something I personally can't imagine for Black Knight is him jumping (maybe that's just me though), so I thought maybe giving him a really good Up-B and use the jump button to change his playstyle in some form (maybe based on range) could be interesting.

He has a lot of moveset potential, he could also utilize Lances, like a Bv weapon swap that gives him Wishblade. :)

While it's possible, I don't think it'll realistically happen, seeing as he never uses lances in game (sure you can give him a Javelin or something, but in PoR, he only has Alondite and it's also his starting equipment in RD). And if you wanna go that way, you could argue that Lyn could be made vastly different from Marth by giving her Bows as a long range option.

Also, any thoughts on Roy?

The general consensus around Smash Bros forums is that Roy will probably not return to Smash 4.

According to data on the Forbidden Seven (characters that have been cut from data files), Roy wasn't very far along, meaning he was one of the more definite cuts. This is opposed to Mewtwo who was the furthest along.

All in all, Roy's not really any more significant than Sigurd, Leaf, etc. Beign a Japan-Only character, it's believed that they aren't really viable options for Smash 4. Sakurai tends to choose international characters. Very popular characters in Japan, like Takamaru are abandoned in favor of international characters.

Lyn was the favorite when Brawl was in development, but her popularity fell off after Brawl, and more recent titles like Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon were released. Since then, Caeda and Black Knight are the current most wanted characters. Though, without enough support, it's possible that FE won't get a new character.

While Project Begnion is based around Black Knight, all in all, we want one new character from Fire Emblem, whoever it may be. Signers of the petition are welcomed to mention a different character at the same time.

Well, acoording to this

There's just a little more than that. Mewtwo and Roy had unused victory fanfares (apparently, at some point, all characters were supposed to have their own victory themes. Interestingly, the unused fanfares include most characters that don't have them in the finished game plus Mewtwo and Roy's, but not Wolf's.) Also, another filename shows that Mewtwo was supposed to have a "before match" screen for Classic mode. It seems like Mewtwo and Roy made it the farthest out of the cut characters.

it seems that Roy, while not very far developed, was the second most developed character of the seven after Mewtwo.

Regarding Lyn, it seems quite clear that she wasn't considered over Roy as a playable character as he at least got the fighter pac whereas she was made as an AT to begin with.

I somewhat concede the Japan only point (not entirely because he was supposed to be in Brawl while being Japan only), Sigurd and Roy would probably only be considered if their games were remade.

The main reason why I brought him up in the first place was because he wasn't listed on your site (when alternative choices were still present in the FAQ), and I wouldn't put his chances below Sigurd's or Lyn's.

(Don't get me wrong btw, I'd rather see BK than Roy, it's more that I feel he shouldn't be ruled out completly.)

Well, acoording to this

it seems that Roy, while not very far developed, was the second most developed character of the seven after Mewtwo.

Regarding Lyn, it seems quite clear that she wasn't considered over Roy as a playable character as he at least got the fighter pac whereas she was made as an AT to begin with.

I somewhat concede the Japan only point (not entirely because he was supposed to be in Brawl while being Japan only), Sigurd and Roy would probably only be considered if their games were remade.

The main reason why I brought him up in the first place was because he wasn't listed on your site (when alternative choices were still present in the FAQ), and I wouldn't put his chances below Sigurd's or Lyn's.

(Don't get me wrong btw, I'd rather see BK than Roy, it's more that I feel he shouldn't be ruled out completly.)

That's a good point. I'm overhauling the site, I'll be sure to address that when I revisit the competition section. Thanks :)