You are now blind. Scream if you must.

FalconVegeta1986

I waited to post these until I felt more comfortable here, and now, I think it's time to show off my crappy splices!gee_wiz_emoticon.gif Please understand that i'm not very good at this, but I am willing to put as much effort into getting better as I can. I look forward to seeing what you think!

So far, I will reveal 2 splices and one weapon icon. There are 2 versions of each splice, one using the colors of the characters I spliced, and the other using colors from other characters. All colors are FE7.

Splice #1:

newsplice.pngnewsplicerecolor.png

Eliwood/Guy/Zephiel. The second uses Matthew's hair color for the hair and Geitz's hair color for the clothes.

Splice #2:

newsplice2.pngnewsplice2recolor.png

Nino/Eleanora/Serra. The second uses Wallace's armor color for the hair, art's shirt for the hair thingy, and Fiora's armor color for the scarf thing.

Then there's this tomesize.png, which doesn't need a spoiler, since I submitted it into the current weapon contest.

And with that, let the fun begin! Just take it easy on me. I wanna make more, but not if I don't feel like I have any talent.tongue.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one's neck shading is all wonky, and could be worked on. Also, the chin isn't outlined correctly.

The second one has green blobs on the face for no apparent reason (I'll blame Eleanora for that.), And there is absolutely no hair shading where the bangs meet the forehead. Reference Nino's shading.

Also, Armor colors, hair colors, and clothe colors are different things. Try to stick with recoloring clothes from other clothes.

The first one's neck shading is all wonky, and could be worked on. Also, the chin isn't outlined correctly.

The second one has green blobs on the face for no apparent reason (I'll blame Eleanora for that.), And there is absolutely no hair shading where the bangs meet the forehead. Reference Nino's shading.

Also, Armor colors, hair colors, and clothe colors are different things. Try to stick with recoloring clothes from other clothes.

Green blobshuh.gif? Um, could you point that out please. And dammit, I knew I forgot something. Gonna add the shading for the hair now.

With the first one, is the neck and chin the only things wrong with it, or is there more?

EDIT: And i'm guessing you should never switch hair and armor colors right?

Edited by Scott Pilgrim

You know, the ones on her forehead and eyebrows.

It's a splice, there really isn't much to say about it, really.

Oh! That's the necklace(?) that Eleanora wears on her head. Scrap it?

You could say other things that would help make it better.emo13.gif (Are splices considered cheap or something?)

Oh! That's the necklace(?) that Eleanora wears on her head. Scrap it?

You could say other things that would help make it better.emo13.gif (Are splices considered cheap or something?)

Well, make it not obvious and not look bad. Or, scrap it, either or.

Well, splices have parts that are pretty much done for you, where shading is the only real custom work (usually) on a pretty decent splice.

Well, make it not obvious and not look bad. Or, scrap it, either or.

Well, splices have parts that are pretty much done for you, where shading is the only real custom work (usually) on a pretty decent splice.

Yeah, I think i'll scrap it. That's how it looks originally though, except with a different color.

I was under the impression that splicing was a pretty big deal in the creative department. Seems like everyone has a gallery or two around here.emo13.gif

To add onto splice 2, the hair and head angles don't really look like they fit together. Sadly I can't think of any easy way to fix it. Either manipulate the bangs yourself (which for a beginner could be pretty hard) or just replace the hair entirely, which I'm not sure if you wanna do =[

Well it's either that or something else... There's just something about the hair =I

Edited by Agnaktor

Red eyes are pretty weird, Maybe give him blue eyes instead. Also, the purple guy's shirt color is very saturated.

Lolwut? The saturation of the colors, from darkest to lightest, is 73, 144, and 120. Out of a maximum of 240 that isn't really a lot save the middle shade. Compare that to Canas who also has purple hair. His colors are 113, 141, and 156. Compare that to purples in FE8. Lute's hair is 107, 180, and 165. Myrrh's are 88 and 96. Geitz's hair is not that saturated, even when compared to characters in his own game. Hair colors aren't designed to be shirt colors, because there's differing contrast in them.

(and for anyone who wants to discourage my argument, I went into paint and checked the colors myself)

Lolwut? The saturation of the colors, from darkest to lightest, is 73, 144, and 120. Out of a maximum of 240 that isn't really a lot save the middle shade. Compare that to Canas who also has purple hair. His colors are 113, 141, and 156. Compare that to purples in FE8. Lute's hair is 107, 180, and 165. Myrrh's are 88 and 96. Geitz's hair is not that saturated, even when compared to characters in his own game. Hair colors aren't designed to be shirt colors, because there's differing contrast in them.

(and for anyone who wants to discourage my argument, I went into paint and checked the colors myself)

Okay, maybe I used the wrong word. The color of that purple is too dark to be be aesthetically pleasing. Obviously, this is my opinion and you don't need to go and prove me wrong with numbers.

No, I agree, the shirt is dark and the shades don't work well together. I wasn't trashing your opinion. I was telling you that the shirt isn't too saturated like you originally said.

So if I follow all of this correctly...

Splice 1: Change the eyes, fix the chin and neck shading, drop purple shirt in favor of another color (possibly brighter)

Splice 2: Change hair color, possibly use a smaller head, shade the hair and drop the head necklace thing.

In general: Don't switch up the hair and armor colors, and start trying to do some custom works.

Anything else?

Flat, clunky, that lance is too large to be used in any realistic setting, that hammer is going to break after one use, that sword has so many random colors and dither it's not even funny

Flat, clunky, that lance is too large to be used in any realistic setting, that hammer is going to break after one use, that sword has so many random colors and dither it's not even funny

So what exactly can I do to make them not look as bad? (Other than a curve on the axe blades)

Not dither? Try to actually shade? Make it smaller? Make it not look utterly gray?

Could you elaborate on what you mean? I don't even know what dithering is, and I don't know why size would be a factor. I thought I used the colors for metal, but I guess not. What needs shading?

Could you elaborate on what you mean? I don't even know what dithering is, and I don't know why size would be a factor. I thought I used the colors for metal, but I guess not. What needs shading?

Dither means putting random colors in random places. I fail to see how size WOULDN'T be a factor, unless you can provide a good argument as to why a massive sword wouldn't be wtfheavy.

And yes, you used the colors for metal, but it's so bland, and monochrome. Look at what LordGlenn does with his icons, for example. Every pixel has a purpose, and they're hardly bland.

And I'm going to advise you to do this:

Maybe try to make edits to existing icons...then work your way up.

Dither means putting random colors in random places. I fail to see how size WOULDN'T be a factor, unless you can provide a good argument as to why a massive sword wouldn't be wtfheavy.

And yes, you used the colors for metal, but it's so bland, and monochrome. Look at what LordGlenn does with his icons, for example. Every pixel has a purpose, and they're hardly bland.

My thing is when I make the icons smaller, they don't feel big enough. For instance, I know that 3 pixels is the standard for a sword handle, but if I were to make that icon smaller, using 3 pixels takes away from the blades length. So it's a matter of making it look like a sword and not being too small like a dagger, for instance. making the icon smaller means making everything about it smaller, sometimes cutting out some details of the weapon.

Tomes also appear to have a brown line of pixels on the right where the binding would be. Never noticed that until I just looked at my weapon sheets.

I could probably search, but since you likely already know where Lord Glenn's topics are, would you mind linking me to them so I could check them out? And anywhere else that might be good to check out for doing spriting?

ddec2577cec7b58ad42ef5cf70004fc9.png

This right here is a good example of how to make your blades long without being wtfmassive.

And the standard sword length for IS is even smaller than that, it's like 5 or 6 pixels IIRC.

EDIT: And if you can't find Lord Glenn's topic (as well as all the other resources this board has), I'd advise you to get your eyes checked. Since they're quite literally at the top of the spriting board.

Edited by CT075

ddec2577cec7b58ad42ef5cf70004fc9.png

This right here is a good example of how to make your blades long without being wtfmassive.

And the standard sword length for IS is even smaller than that, it's like 5 or 6 pixels IIRC.

EDIT: And if you can't find Lord Glenn's topic (as well as all the other resources this board has), I'd advise you to get your eyes checked. Since they're quite literally at the top of the spriting board.

That's still 16x16, I thought you'd reference something smaller.emo13.gif

That blade just looks too small though. It's only 6 pixels if you don't count the outline, and the hilt just seems to be too large. The colors on the hilt are still symmetrical, but I do see that they're not all over the place, and it does look nice. And the blade has that strip of black and gray in it, something I completely forgot about. (On second look, the blade doesn't look as small, but still, that hilt...)

I don't like to reference IS' icons because of what they do consider standard. I mean, half their weapons are literally one strip of pixels with little extra to it. I suppose it would be a good thing though to do what you and core said and simply edit their icons, especially if I don't like them.

EDIT: A simple link would have helped, but I suppose I deserved that for not looking. They are at the top.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim